• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
We were all so excited when Parnell came into prominence for the under 19s. Finally he left-armer seamer who bats we have been waiting for!

At that point we didnt know he is literally the dumbest person on the planet and simply incapable of picking up new skills :huh:

SeamUp

International Coach
I think they want to keep AB skipper because Faf is still not a definite in the side along with a couple others.

Marius

International Debutant
I think they want to keep AB skipper because Faf is still not a definite in the side along with a couple others.
Faf's captaining should be enough to keep him in the team.

Sometimes a good captain is worth the runs or wickets you (might) sacrifice.

Guys like Mike Brearley or Hansie come to mind.

SeamUp

International Coach
Faf's captaining should be enough to keep him in the team.

Sometimes a good captain is worth the runs or wickets you (might) sacrifice.

Guys like Mike Brearley or Hansie come to mind.
Not disagreeing but I suppose time has changed and unless we seriously struggling for talent then selectors won't even take that into consideration how good a captain he is , for him to be selected.

If your tools aren't managed correctly though then performance may not be maximised but I can't see them thinking like that . They will say talent will get through.

Think he played a top knock v Kiwis recently. But he does need to earn that spot still.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Problem with keeping Faf in the team is keeping youngsters out that not only could do better than him but will also grow with the experience obtained...

But this is all besides the point... Cook for me gets one last shot in Adelaide as somebody has to drop for deVillers during the SL tour. Nobody else makes sense. Duminy has now scored and Faf has shown his worth, but still struggling for runs.... if those 2 don`t perform during SL tour; and/or we are still struggling with an opener we can consider bringing Cook back (unlikely)and/or replacing Faf/Duminy with Rillee/Theunis.... bowling pretty much as itself sorted unless we get some serious injuries.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Problem with keeping Faf in the team is keeping youngsters out that not only could do better than him but will also grow with the experience obtained...

But this is all besides the point... Cook for me gets one last shot in Adelaide as somebody has to drop for deVillers during the SL tour. Nobody else makes sense. Duminy has now scored and Faf has shown his worth, but still struggling for runs.... if those 2 don`t perform during SL tour; and/or we are still struggling with an opener we can consider bringing Cook back (unlikely)and/or replacing Faf/Duminy with Rillee/Theunis.... bowling pretty much as itself sorted unless we get some serious injuries.
No fifty for Faf this series but a hundred v NZL and average still just over 40 but falling.

JP with a 88 v NZL/important 100 v Australia but followed that up with a typical tame dismissal and averaging 33.

No matter how much we like these two. Agree, they need to step up/

We got Amla at 33, AB, JP, Faf at 32 - I would say peak years are close to finished. 26-32 bracket I consider peak years as a batsman.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
We got Amla at 33, AB, JP, Faf at 32 - I would say peak years are close to finished. 26-32 bracket I consider peak years as a batsman.
Thats pretty much it... you need some experience in the team, but we cant suddenly have all 4 retiring at 35 within a year of each other before we get the youngsters in... Amla and deVillers seem the logical ones to retain in the team as they are atg`s... that means ruthlessly we need to bring in the 24-27 year old youngsters within the next year to maintain the team. We have enough talent to do this.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Thats pretty much it... you need some experience in the team, but we cant suddenly have all 4 retiring at 35 within a year of each other before we get the youngsters in... Amla and deVillers seem the logical ones to retain in the team as they are atg`s... that means ruthlessly we need to bring in the 24-27 year old youngsters within the next year to maintain the team. We have enough talent to do this.
3 years is such a long time in cricket, realistically s.a batting in 2020 could be something like
Elgar
De kock
Amla
Abdv
Riley
Bavuma
That's without including any youngsters that will obviously be coming through.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
3 years is such a long time in cricket, realistically s.a batting in 2020 could be something like
Elgar
De kock
Amla
Abdv
Riley
Bavuma
That's without including any youngsters that will obviously be coming through.
Amla/Abdv will be 36/37. Highly likely youngsters Markram, de Bruyn, Mulder and I hope Hamza (not done well this year).

Tom Flint

International Regular
Amla/Abdv will be 36/37. Highly likely youngsters Markram, de Bruyn, Mulder and I hope Hamza (not done well this year).
I know but if the management deal with them and their schedules properly allowing them to go to the ipl ect then I can see them both still playing test cricket at that age. They are both in a position where they can start chasing milestones and go down as undisputed ATGs

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I actually don`t know who to replace in the SA line-up.... think Cooks hundred really showed what he is capable of and I really like having a proper opening batsmen; Faf scored a fantastic classy 100. So on form it has to be Amla! (not gonna happen). But if I had a choice right now it would be Duminy out for de Villers.

Bahseph

State Captain
Logically it has to be JP. He had one good innings the whole series, although it was a fantastic innings. Hashim is undropable for me. He deserves way more leeway. I'd love to see how they balance this out with the selection criteria in mind.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Duminy's head always seems to be on the chopping block but he's done better than Bavuma in this series TBF.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Duminy's head always seems to be on the chopping block but he's done better than Bavuma in this series TBF.
Disagree.... Bavuma scored 2 critical 50`s at a difficult times for SA. Duminy scored a very good 100 with Elgar to help win us the first match. Nothing else. I would like to see Bavuma convert 50`s into hundreds. However Duminy is a 'senior' player who has been given many many opportunities and has been disappointing overall.... time for him to go now.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I can see your point. But Duminy's bowling is pretty useful, so there's that to consider as well.

Marius

International Debutant
Proteas will 'never be picked' on colour
2016-11-30 13:00

Cape Town - The political pressure on South Africa's national sporting teams is no secret.

Ever since sports minister Fikile Mbalula banned Cricket South Africa (CSA), SA Rugby, Athletics South Africa (ASA) and Netball South Africa (NSA) from bidding for major events back in April due to a lack of transformation, the quest for representation in South African sport has reached a new level.

The Springboks have been given the target of ensuring that their squad is made up of 50% players of colour by the 2019 World Cup, while the Proteas committed to ensuring that 53% of their side (six players) will be players of colour moving forward.

The Proteas will not be measured on a match-to-match basis, but rather on an annual average across all three formats.

While rugby still has a long way to go - they have been hovering at around 30% representation during their northern hemisphere tour - the Proteas all-of-a-sudden seem a team that is naturally transformed.

There are no doubts over the abilities of any player in the current set-up.

In fact, when the Proteas fielded eight players of colour in an ODI win over Australia back in June, it went by almost unnoticed.

There does appear to be an element of natural progression accompanying cricket right now, where players of colour are succeeding at the highest level on a regular basis.

For convenor of selectors Linda Zondi, that shows that sides are picked on merit.

In an interview with Sport24 this week, Zondi was adamant in the fact that he would "never" pick a player based on the colour of his skin.

"For me, as a convenor, I will never pick a player based on colour," he said.

"I will pick a player based on his ability to represent our country. I will never accept mediocrity.

"The country wants us to do well and to transform and to win matches ... I’m very happy with the talent that we have and we just want to maintain the high standards we have when picking players."

According to Zondi, the domestic structures in South African cricket are succeeding in widening the pool of black cricketers who are being given opportunities to grow.

Ahead of the 2014/15 domestic season in South Africa, CSA ruled that each franchise would have to field five players of colour (two black Africans) in every match they played across all formats throughout the season.

That number was increased to six players of colour (three black Africans) for the 2015/16 season.

"We’ve got a lot of flak before in terms of people criticising our franchise system and transformation," Zondi said.

"We backed the system and the players that we had and fortunately we had some world class players. It became a natural thing."

Zondi was also open about the advantages that came with being assessed annually and not after every match.

"The board has been very strategic in terms of giving us an annual target and not a match-to-match target, which gives us more room when selecting players," he said.

"It’s important to know that ... just because the team is losing, it shouldn’t be about transformation. And if the team is winning, it also shouldn’t be about an individual.

"It is a collective approach in which these guys who have been picked have done well at franchise level. We make sure that whatever player we pick, we are sure in our minds that he can represent South Africa.

"We are not looking at colour, but we are looking at the player."
http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/proteas-will-never-be-picked-on-colour-20161130

Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. But to be fair, nobody who has been selected recently can be said to be there for any other reason than cricketing ones.

It'll be really interesting to see who gets left out for AB when he comes back. I think Cook and Duminy are most under threat, but I would prefer keeping Cook around. Duminy is far too inconsistent.

Heboric

International Debutant
I know this maybe not for this thread sort of, but hopefuly more Saffas in the know might have an answer.

But does anyone know if Ray Jennings tried to make his son stay in South Africa to one day play for the Proteas.

Reason i am bringing this up, if you listening to his extremely poor commentating he always brings up patience etc. But then his son gets scooted off to England without really trying.