• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Marius

International Debutant
Sorry, misread the post, thought you were talking about Stubbs.

Re: De Zorzi he is counted as BA I believe.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'm open to correction but I believe he is of mixed parentage and CSA goes by the more 'disadvantaged' side. So De Zorzi is half black so he's counted as as black.
That makes sense, and I can see why they'd have to deal with mixed parentage that way, although it makes for a ridiculous state of affairs.

Open to correction again, but I think there's a similar case with Mungroo.
A quick check of some matches he's been involved in shows only two other black African players in the side, so it looks as though he could be counting as the third.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
That makes sense, and I can see why they'd have to deal with mixed parentage that way, although it makes for a ridiculous state of affairs.

A quick check of some matches he's been involved in shows only two other black African players in the side, so it looks as though he could be counting as the third.
Yeah boland also only have 2 black african players i can spot, its a bit unfair for western and eastern cape to have these rules even more so as coloured players should be dominating,

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Qeshile looked like he could do something but his batting has fallen away badly. I had high hopes for Wandile Makwetu but he's apparently had a tough time personally since losing his dad (the former auditor-general as it happens).
This is where I think that CSA is truly dropped the ball... all players should get good support from team but when it comes to talented black players its really needs to be a focus because we can't lose what little we have.

Dendarii

International Debutant
its a bit unfair for western and eastern cape to have these rules even more so as coloured players should be dominating,
Maybe not so much the Eastern Cape, but the demographics of the Western Cape do differ from the rest of the country. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I have a vague memory of a Cobras side from about 10 years ago fielding only two white players (Kemp and Vilas?). The other nine were all coloured, so that still wouldn't count as a sufficiently transformed side...

Marius

International Debutant
This is where I think that CSA is truly dropped the ball... all players should get good support from team but when it comes to talented black players its really needs to be a focus because we can't lose what little we have.
Think this is a problem across the whole of CSA. I just finished Faf's book and he says there's very little emotional support for even the Proteas.

Apropos of nothing, it's a pretty good read. Not the best cricket autobiography I've ever read and it can be a bit repetitive, especially when he gets philosophical, but overall worth reading if you're interested in SA cricket.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I do wonder if it was the wrong decision for Qeshile to carry on keeping. There definitely seemed to be potential with the bat, so maybe someone should have made the call for him to give up the gloves and focus solely on batting.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Maybe not so much the Eastern Cape, but the demographics of the Western Cape do differ from the rest of the country. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I have a vague memory of a Cobras side from about 10 years ago fielding only two white players (Kemp and Vilas?). The other nine were all coloured, so that still wouldn't count as a sufficiently transformed side...
Yep very dumb, ec, titans etc can field 4 or 5 on merit sometimes bafs, they then should just make sure the top 21 are in the provinces like a draft.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Think this is a problem across the whole of CSA. I just finished Faf's book and he says there's very little emotional support for even the Proteas.
I think this is an old fashioned cultural thing in SA. Effectively sport (amongst other things) is treated as 'if you are not tough enough then you not good enough'.

Marius

International Debutant
I think this is an old fashioned cultural thing in SA. Effectively sport (amongst other things) is treated as 'if you are not tough enough then you not good enough'.
Apparently that was also part of the reason why Faf and Bouch didn't click. Bouch is definitely of the old school, 'Boys don't cry' way of doing things while Faf is more open to other ways of handling defeat and pressure.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Janneman amongst the runs in his first fc game of the season, hopefully the selectors pick him for the aussie tour (if the squad hasn't already been picked). Rickelton and janneman are two for the future.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, is there any reasons why the titans didn't pick brevis or Donavon Ferreira in their first FC fixture of the season? (Not sure if these guys play for that FC side or not, they play for the t20 side, my knowledge on the south african domestic structure is ****).

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Also, is there any reasons why the titans didn't pick brevis or Donavon Ferreira in their first FC fixture of the season? (Not sure if these guys play for that FC side or not, they play for the t20 side, my knowledge on the south african domestic structure is ****).
Only 5 caucasian players per team , i know for brevis was a reason, but they have brand,elgar,harmer,bosch and theunis de bruyn who do you drop? probably bosch but he is not like for like.

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Only 5 caucasian players per team , i know for brevis was a reason, but they have brand,elgar,harmer,bosch and theunis de bruyn who do you drop? probably bosch but he is not like for like.
It's really sad SA has politics that restricts selecting white players in domestic and the national team cause damn what quality teams could be selected , it's no coincidence that the most talented expat cricketers to other countries are South Africans ...

Stefan9

International Debutant
Brevis was in the squad but missed out due to the 5 white player restrictions. Don didn't make the squad.