• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He doesn't even average 35 in FC, not sure he has the numbers to back up being in the Test side.

He had a decent FC series last year, let's see how he does this season.
He is not actually going to get selected and would not get into the test side if selected in squad... I would select him for the squad based on the immediate recent potential and the fact he is the closest we have to a possible decent batsmen of colour right now (not including Petersen).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That's getting to be a serious problem, and it's not just black batsmen as it's not like there's huge numbers of coloured batsmen either. Quotas can't work if the two alternatives are half the team by necessity being white (meaning that white bowlers can't get much of a look in) or picking players not up to international standard.
Its a very serious problem and been for awhile... unfortunately it is a symptom of the overall problems found with CSA and the overall cricketing structure.

Marius

International Debutant
Yaseen Vallie too old? Sybs is okayish, stubbs is coloured no?
Pretty sure Stubbs is white (shows you how how messed up SA is that we have to have this kind of conversation).

I don't think Makhanya is international quality, has had some good knocks but he's not consistent.

Qeshile looked like he could do something but his batting has fallen away badly. I had high hopes for Wandile Makwetu but he's apparently had a tough time personally since losing his dad (the former auditor-general as it happens).

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Pretty sure Stubbs is white (shows you how how messed up SA is that we have to have this kind of conversation).

I don't think Makhanya is international quality, has had some good knocks but he's not consistent.

Qeshile looked like he could do something but his batting has fallen away badly. I had high hopes for Wandile Makwetu but he's apparently had a tough time personally since losing his dad (the former auditor-general as it happens).
Abdu Galiem maybe worth a shot batting 8 and bowling...i had high hopes for jason smith but he failed badly.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
GbetsRocks 1st Innings
BatterRunsBalls4s6s
Ruan Terblanche
c A Mnyaka b G Stuurman
Isma-Eel Gafieldien
c R Second b A Mnyaka
Stiaan van Zyl
b W Lubbe
Janneman Malan
Not Out
Michael Copeland
st R Second b S Ndwandwa
Clyde Fortuin
Not Out
Khwezi Gumede
G Viljoen
Bamanye Xenxe
Shaun Von Berg
Achille Cloete

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
GbetsRocks 1st Innings
BatterRunsBalls4s6s
Ruan Terblanche
c A Mnyaka b G Stuurman
Isma-Eel Gafieldien
c R Second b A Mnyaka
Stiaan van Zyl
b W Lubbe
Janneman Malan
Not Out
Michael Copeland
st R Second b S Ndwandwa
Clyde Fortuin
Not Out
Khwezi Gumede
G Viljoen
Bamanye Xenxe
Shaun Von Berg
Achille Cloete
Someone explain to me how they only have 2 african players?

Marius

International Debutant
Someone explain to me how they only have 2 african players?
Hopefully the coaches and management just picked the best XI and told CSA to suck it and they'll take the fine.

(Looking at their 15-men squad those are the only BAs in the entire squad too).

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Hopefully the coaches and management just picked the best XI and told CSA to suck it and they'll take the fine.

(Looking at their 15-men squad those are the only BAs in the entire squad too).
I get that but theyve done that every match this season, doubt the other unions would just accept having to pick 3 than, although some teams like titans and and ep and wp have picked 4 bafs today

Dendarii

International Debutant
Stubbs looks white to me.

And on the same messed up topic, does De Zorzi count as black or coloured? I'm sure I've seen him referred to as black, but his skin appears to be a bit on the lighter side, and with that surname there's got to be some European heritage somewhere.

Marius

International Debutant

And on the same messed up topic, does De Zorzi count as black or coloured? I'm sure I've seen him referred to as black, but his skin appears to be a bit on the lighter side, and with that surname there's got to be some European heritage somewhere.
I'm open to correction but I believe he is of mixed parentage and CSA goes by the more 'disadvantaged' side. So De Zorzi is half black so he's counted as as black. Open to correction again, but I think there's a similar case with Mungroo.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
He's definitely worth considering. I'm a little surprised he's only 25 as he seems to have been around for ages, but he was spoken up a lot as a youngster for quite some time.
Yeah he came on the scene I think him and Ntini were both 17 when they played for u19s ntini has really has disappointed I thought he may be a decent allrounder.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant

Counted as black from what I have seen and heard.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I'm open to correction but I believe he is of mixed parentage and CSA goes by the more 'disadvantaged' side. So De Zorzi is half black so he's counted as as black. Open to correction again, but I think there's a similar case with Mungroo.
That is how NW only have 2 bafs then if mungrew is counted wonder who fits that bill for boland then.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah he came on the scene I think him and Ntini were both 17 when they played for u19s ntini has really has disappointed I thought he may be a decent allrounder.
Ntini seems to be one of those players whose batting gets talked up because he did well with the bat at school where there's obviously a lower standard of bowling. He doesn't look like he's done enough with the ball to warrant higher honours (although he obviously still could), so he's probably going to end up forever in his father's shadow.