• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Big thing about Ngidi is he has not been taking wickets this tour... will be tough on him but if we have to drop one of the 4 seamers right now it would be him. It just shows you how useless it was taking so many bowlers in the touring team vs so few batsmen.

I would in the end go with something similar to @Heboric but drop Markram

Elgar
Erwee
Petersen
Zondo (Tough on Zondo but he has the FC experience)
Rickleton
Verreynne
Mulder
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Jumping ahead a bit to Aus tour, I would not mind a squad that looked something like.

Elgar, Erwee, Petersen, Rickelton, Zondo, Hamza, Bavuma, VDD, Verreynne, van Tonder, Mulder, Jansen, Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Harmer, Sipamla

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And I've no problem with Ngidi being the man to drop out. I just don't think it's "obvious" that he would be the one to be excluded.
Yeah 100%... he has taken the least wickets right now in this tour, while still doing well. Its just that hard choices need to be made rather than he has been poor and deserves to be dropped. With Mulder in the team you have the right arm away swing that can hopefully bowl the 4/5th stump line. You could also instead drop Nortje, because its not like you can't ask Rabada to ramp up the aggression if you wanted more control with Ngidi.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Jumping ahead a bit to Aus tour, I would not mind a squad that looked something like.

Elgar, Erwee, Petersen, Rickelton, Zondo, Hamza, Bavuma, VDD, Verreynne, van Tonder, Mulder, Jansen, Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Harmer, Sipamla
Hamza's ban only ends on the 22nd of December, so he'd be there with no match practice.

Dendarii

International Debutant
With Mulder in the team you have the right arm away swing that can hopefully bowl the 4/5th stump line.
Good point. Mulder is the closest to a like-for-like replacement. And while batting ability shouldn't come into it for bowlers, this South African team needs all the batting it can get, and Ngidi is the worst in the team.

Bahseph

State Captain
100%. Sometimes picking your best team doesn't necessarily mean picking the most skilled players. It's fundamental in any sport.

I've played competitive soccer since I was 6, do you know how many soccer games are won if you pick 10 strikers?? Or how many brilliant goalkeepers I've seen benched because you can only have one in a team.

SA have brilliant bowlers who all deserve to be playing Test cricket. Rabada, Nortje , Maharaj, Jansen, Harmer and Ngidi are brilliant. Sipamla and Olivier are quality as well. Heck, even someone like Lizaad Williams could make a few international teams. But we can't have all of them. These bowlers won't win us matches every game without runs on the board unless they keep bowling out teams for sub 150 scores. Mulder hasn't been brilliant in Tests but he has a FC record that points to being able to get big runs. Harmer,Maharaj and Jansen(yet) don't. I also think it's time to draw a line in the sand with Rassie in Tests,and perhaps Markram for the time being. I can see Hazelwood and Cummins eating him for breakfast in Aus.

1. Elgar
2. Erwee
3. Petersen
4. Bavuma
5. Rickelton
6. Mulder
7. Verreynne
8. Jansen
9. Maharaj
10. Rabada
11. Nortje

Harsh on Ngidi,but sometimes that's life.

Marius

International Debutant
I don't think this is a bad squad, also don't have an issue with Parnell being in the squad, has taken 9/71 in his last three T20s (if we include Hundred games as T20s).

Dendarii

International Debutant
As opposed to his selection for the Test team?
Well yes, at the start of their career every player's going to be picked after not having played a lot of games. But if you're choosing a squad for a tournament, the guy who took 1/38 (so conceding 9.5 runs per over) in his only international T20 and averages close to 40 with the ball in all T20s isn't someone who's crying out for selection.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Parnell 5/30 in his last t20i outing. Only South Africans would consider that underperforming... And his hitting in domestic t20s, particularly the 80* off 29 vs knights, is just gravy..