• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Stefan9

International Debutant
Mulder not being selected is very disappointing. The batsmen will need to play well as the tail will again start at 7...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So looking at the SA team/squad I`m trying to see the future of the Test team. I really do think that the selection is focused in the right now with no plan to really develop and produce a long term strong competitive team.

Which makes sense from two view points, firstly the administration attitude towards Tests has obviously changed and they are no longer concerned based on the FTP and sentiment. Secondly, I wonder about the plan of Boucher and Elgar. Why take a long term view on anything they do now to build for a team in 2+ years time; Elgar is likely to be heading towards retirement and Boucher is not getting a contract renewal. So lets just focus selfishly in the now and pick players that probably can do enough of a job to possibly win you games in a current Test environment of largely poor teams.

Right now I would not actually care about winning the Test championship, because even if we managed to do it, quite clearly the SA team would drop of the edge pretty soon after; because luck and the expectation that other teams continue to remain poor is not a good strategy.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Obviously losing badly now is the key to building a better test team for the days of two test series's aginst Sri Lanka and New Zealand between endless domestic T-Twenty tournaments.

Heboric

International Debutant
Mulder added to the squad in place of injured Rassie

So

Elgar
Erwee
Petersen (Showed some graft in second innings, maybe a bit to placid)
Markram (I know, but who else)
Zondo/Rickleton
Verryne
Mulder
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain

So

Elgar
Erwee
Zondo/Rickleton
Verryne
Mulder
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje
@StephenZA will hate me saying this but I'm pretty sure there won't be any Mulder in the next game. Probably Rickelton or Zondo. I do expect Harmer for Jansen though, cos we don't learn our lessons.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

So

Elgar
Erwee
Zondo/Rickleton
Verryne
Mulder
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje
I would drop Markram at this stage and play both Zondo and Rickelton. I’m uncertain if I prefer Ngidi/Jansen/Nortje tough decision.

@StephenZA will hate me saying this but I'm pretty sure there won't be any Mulder in the next game. Probably Rickelton or Zondo. I do expect Harmer for Jansen though, cos we don't learn our lessons.
Dont hate this, you are speaking the truth and what is likely to occur.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Nortje surely one of the first names on the team sheet. The bowling attack is quite obvious for me.
Mulder
Jansen
Maharaj
Rabada
Nortje

Dendarii

International Debutant
Is it obvious though to leave out Ngidi? He has 49 wickets at an average of 22 with an economy rate of 2.98 and a strike rate of 43.2. Nortje has 56 wickets at an average of 27 with an economy rate of 3.75 and a strike rate of 43.2.

It's fair to say that Nortje poses the greater wicket taking threat, but he has been going for runs. Ngidi might not offer the run through a side potential to the extent that the other quicks do, but he's been the most economical of them. So I don't think it's a clearcut decision around who out the two of them and Jansen to go for.