• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Statistically the team shapes up well.
Yeah, if you look at the batting:
  • De Kock: 129 Matches, Ave 46.00, S/R 95.97
  • Malan: 17 Matches, Ave 59.14, S/R 87.24
  • Bavuma: 19 Matches, Ave 45.12, S/R 82.32
  • Van Der Dussen: 35 Matches, Ave 71.84, S/R 88.80
  • Miller: 143 Matches, Ave 40.73, S/R 101.03
While there are some small sample sizes there, so some of the figures might not be an accurate reflection, on paper at least that's not a batting line-up that should be bundled out cheaply.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I hope that CSA and the men's team are looking at the Woman's team and seeing how you actually build a class experienced team, with quality players. It takes time effort and dedication and the want to do things properly without taking short cuts.
Not sure Smith and Boucher were best choices for the jobs especially Boucher great players don't always make amazing coaches plus both are not that experienced in their current jobs, Boucher coached a titans team with superstars , someone like allan donald would of been a better pick if they went with an ex player he has been around the block, nokwe did well at lions but same as boucher re experience. gary kirsten in smiths job and donald head coach with like his own choices of backroom staff.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Yeah, if you look at the batting:
  • De Kock: 129 Matches, Ave 46.00, S/R 95.97
  • Malan: 17 Matches, Ave 59.14, S/R 87.24
  • Bavuma: 19 Matches, Ave 45.12, S/R 82.32
  • Van Der Dussen: 35 Matches, Ave 71.84, S/R 88.80
  • Miller: 143 Matches, Ave 40.73, S/R 101.03
While there are some small sample sizes there, so some of the figures might not be an accurate reflection, on paper at least that's not a batting line-up that should be bundled out cheaply.
Bavuma should open and malan 3,rassie 4, 5 miller, mulder/linde.pretorius/peshi/someone need to bat 6,7 and make runs otherwise we got 5bowlers and nothing, the coaching staff must be to blame. bouchers 4 years is almost up unless he gets to test match final or t20 or world cup final they can't keep him on. he is a selector also isnt he...

Marius

International Debutant
I reckon Rickelton should keep his place in the Test side, even after the IPL players are available again.

RVDD can stick to white ball. He also has many of the problems Bavuma gets stick for - average in the low 30s, poor conversion rate.

Heboric

International Debutant
Its a 'nice' kind of problem to have when you have to decide who to leave out rather than who to pick

Bahseph

State Captain
I think the Bangladesh series did provide some insight into the future of some of the Test team.

1. Elgar- I liked how he captained the spinners. Looked in fine nick with the bat. Desperately needs to lead from the front in England.
2. Erwee- He plays loosely outside off. But then again so does Markram. I think he will atleast get the England series. Not a long term option either.
3. Petersen- Always looks good and usually gets a start. Needs to become ruthless and get some tons.
4. Bavuma- Same old,same old from Temba. No need to elaborate.
5. Rickelton- definitely has the shots and looks a more natural talent than Rassie. I hope he retains his spot for England.
6. Verreynne- I was impressed with the way he kept to the spinners. He is improving in that regard. Still not convinced he will average 40+ in Tests but definitely worth his weight as a wicketkeeper-batsman.
7. Mulder- Seems to be under pressure whenever he comes out to bat. Looked good in the first innings of the second Test. Definitely needs to be utilized more with the ball,has genuine skill. Brilliant catcher in the slips.
8. Maharaj- Brilliant. Was the leader of the attack in this series and filled the role. Nice to see him contributing more with the bat as well.
9. Harmer- A welcome return. Genuinely attacking spinner. Love watching him rip it,and his batting provides steel to the lower order.
10. Williams- Only bowled in two innings and it speaks greatly of SA's pace depth that he is probably the 7th/8th pace option!
11. Olivier- Not convinced he is anywhere near the level he was in 2019. But its nice to have him around when the main men are out.

1. Elgar(C)
2. Erwee
3. Petersen
4. Bavuma
5. Rickelton
6. Verreynne(WK)
7. Mulder
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada

And two of Jansen,Nortje or Ngidi for England. I can't see them playing two spinners even with how impressive Harmer was.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
So if we send 16 for the Eng. tests with no injuries who should it be?
Elgar
Erwee
Petersen
Bavuma
VD Dussen
Verreynne
Rickelton (reserve keeper+reserve opener)
--
Mulder
M Jansen
--
Maharaj
Harmer
--
Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
Paterson (another pacer whose skillset suits English conditions)

Or would that be unfair on Sipamla / Williams / Olivier?

Marius

International Debutant
So if we send 16 for the Eng. tests with no injuries who should it be?
Elgar
Erwee
Petersen
Bavuma
VD Dussen
Verreynne
Rickelton (reserve keeper+reserve opener)
--
Mulder
M Jansen
--
Maharaj
Harmer
--
Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
Paterson (another pacer whose skillset suits English conditions)

Or would that be unfair on Sipamla / Williams / Olivier?
I like that, except Paterson, I would rather take any one of Williams, Olivier, or Sipamla over him.

Also, I think Markram will still tour, think you can fit him in still.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah Sipamla has some raw skills to work with. And Olivier is a better bet if they want English experience IMO.

If you are building a team for the future you would pick Markram over VDD. But maybe they stick with Zondo for now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gonna be really interesting to see what happens to Brevis's career. IPL standard before playing a single FC game makes me worry he could be kind of lost to the Test game by effectively ending up too busy on the franchise circuit to play enough domestic FC cricket to get himself in contention, which would obviously be a massive shame. South Africa might have take a couple of early punts on him in ODIs or even Tests themselves just to make sure that doesn't happen.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gonna be really interesting to see what happens to Brevis's career. IPL standard before playing a single FC game makes me worry he could be kind of lost to the Test game by effectively ending up too busy on the franchise circuit to play enough domestic FC cricket to get himself in contention, which would obviously be a massive shame. South Africa might have take a couple of early punts on him in ODIs or even Tests themselves just to make sure that doesn't happen.
More accelerated in this instance, but Jansen must have not played much at home before they were playing IPL and they still turned up for South Africa A duty afterwards.

Though be pretty neat for Brevis to get called up for the England ODI series without playing a List A game.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Its difficult to believe that Brevis won't be selected for the T20s and in the T20 WC squad later this year... and that may get him into ODI and Test squad, just being around the team. Hopefully he gets to play domestic FC. Jansen had played about two seasons of domestic FC before he was called up. Selection policy does seem to treat batsmen different to bowlers though.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Jansen has 23 first-class matches to his credit, so take away his tests and South Africa A appearances, that's about 15 matches.

I think Brevis has shown enough at the World Cup and IPL for it to justified if he were to be fast tracked into the T20 and ODI squads, but even though he looks like he's got what it takes to be successful at red ball cricket, it's still a different game and we don't know how he'll go. Hopefully they do have a plan for him, and AB mentoring him is probably going to help in that regard as he may be able to have some influence on both sides.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wonder if a project player can work as a batsman, like how we did with Hardik and Bumrah as red ball players while they were in the white ball setup. Needs some work but I think it can happen. We did get Sehwag as a red ball player from a mostly white ball background. Same with MSD a bit.

The argument for the other side would be Yuvraj Singh.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Brevis is an interesting case...very few games but already in the IPL as one of those "let's see" buys you get with young cricketers. I'm sure he will have time for FC cricket in the years to come. I think fast tracking him into Intl cricket would be the wrong move though.