• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I would pick Philander right now, think he deserved a shot... so did Maharaj.
It looks like that ship has sailed but if they wanted a safe option I agree. Which is what Pretorius looks like but he really isn't as he isn't dependable for the Lions even.

Me, I would love an x-factor for that reserv all-rounder no matter how frustrating.

Bolo

State Captain
It looks like that ship has sailed but if they wanted a safe option I agree. Which is what Pretorius looks like but he really isn't as he isn't dependable for the Lions even.

Me, I would love an x-factor for that reserv all-rounder no matter how frustrating.
That's basically Morris. But he's a whole lot more frustrating than x. I'd rather go with Pretorius.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Wonder if de Bruyn has a shot with his form, can play both middle order and open?
Personally thing its actually de Bruyn vs Amla. Hendricks just feels like a middling option imo - Amla on reputation, de Bruyn on form. Reeza really doesn't have much of either right now.

Verreyne is probably the best of the lot but I'm not willing to give him his first international experience at World Cup level.

I'd probably pick de Bruyn now.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Morris would have to be one of the most overrated cricketers going around. On paper he should be a weapon but that simply hasn't been the case. He is not a genuine strike bowler, despite his pace he just doesn't take enough wickets, and his batting is dynamic but not especially reliable

Borges

International Regular
These South Africans are in a rich vein of form, bossing it in the IPL (along with the Englishmen and the West Indians).
Should be as good a contender for the cup as any one bar England.

MrPrez

International Debutant
These South Africans are in a rich vein of form, bossing it in the IPL (along with the Englishmen and the West Indians).
Should be as good a contender for the cup as any one bar England.
We've got a few form players for sure, but our problem is we have about 6 or 7 quality players and fillers elsewhere.

Our core is quality:

1. de Kock
3. Faf
5. Miller
8. Rabada
9.Steyn
10.Ngidi
11. Tahir

The rest of the positions are filled by relatively uninspiring players (except Markram who is a pretty unique case.

EDIT: Those positions are most likely to be filled by (in order) Markram, van der Dussen, Duminy, Phelukhwayo. Not necessarily terrible players but not inspiring enough confidence to make us anything than a real outside shot.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
You are underrating those players imho. JP and van der dussen are solid enough. Not every member of a world cup winning side are world beaters. Each and every side has weaknesses, its who performs in the tournament who will win.

SeamUp

International Coach
I am preparing for the worst. Not sure why Amla/Markram were given directives to go to England and Reeza didn't. Probably because no counties are interested but yet he is in ahead of those 2 ? That is controversial.

Bahseph

State Captain
Man if we are opening the batting without the man who bossed our Domestic Comp and is probably our future captain we only have ourselves to blame if he takes a Kolpak. No time to mince words on that.

Dendarii

International Debutant
My distrust of sports journalists is kicking in and I'm wondering whether they're reading a bit too much into Zondi's comment. We don't know the context of his comment (maybe he was asked specifically about Amla and Markram), so it may not actually be a choice between those two.