• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Query, does QDK keep the gloves long term in the SA test team? I ask this because we have a number of wk batsmen running around the FC level that are scoring runs and I'm wondering if they have a shot at the team only if QDK stops keeping?
How good is their keeping? If it's not as good as De Kock's then as long as he's scoring runs we should stick with him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Query, does QDK keep the gloves long term in the SA test team? I ask this because we have a number of wk batsmen running around the FC level that are scoring runs and I'm wondering if they have a shot at the team only if QDK stops keeping?
Yeah, thats a tough balance.

a) Got to be no batsman coming through
b) Can they bat with the tail as good as QdK does
c) How good is their keeping

You probably referring to Verreynne and Qeshile.

For me, Verreynne is a wk to bat top 6 but needs 100s. If you pick him who bats 7. Not Mulder for me. He is top 6.
I hope Qeshile turns into a star batsman rather.

SeamUp

International Coach
Otis Gibson has taken every opportunity to work with Wiaan Mulder this series despite not being in actual squads.

It's working for the bowling in Benoni currently. 7.3 overs 3 for 9.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA test team's biggest needs right now is finding a future super star #3 and #4 batsman with stroke-making ability to score 100s and be world class. The cherry on top is Wiaan Mulder's development hopefully as a world class all-rounder.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How good is their keeping? If it's not as good as De Kock's then as long as he's scoring runs we should stick with him.
That would seems sensible, but if good enough and QDK could potentially score more without?

Yeah, thats a tough balance.

a) Got to be no batsman coming through
b) Can they bat with the tail as good as QdK does
c) How good is their keeping

You probably referring to Verreynne and Qeshile.

For me, Verreynne is a wk to bat top 6 but needs 100s. If you pick him who bats 7. Not Mulder for me. He is top 6.
I hope Qeshile turns into a star batsman rather.
Verreynne and Qeshile are the current guys. But obviously there has recently been Klaasens and Seconds as well, but these last 2 aren't anywhere near as good keepers. I was just wondering from a point of pigeonholing to much, if maybe QDK could get to greater batting heights without gloves or we just accept his current role. If you end up with wk/batsmen at the top of the runs coring charts do you just pick them as batsmen only without considering what QDK could potentially bring into a top six role without the gloves? Treat him as a potential Gilly or as a potential Sanga?

This was just a purely hypothetical, SA just has a number of FC wk/batsmen doing well is all so I was wondering.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA test team's biggest needs right now is finding a future super star #3 and #4 batsman with stroke-making ability to score 100s and be world class. The cherry on top is Wiaan Mulder's development hopefully as a world class all-rounder.
His bowling seems to be going alright...hopefully scores some as well.

The question of the #4 also comes down to the question over Markram if we get another good opener?

Dendarii

International Debutant
So with Markram at 4, perhaps something like this:

Elgar
Malan
Hamza
Markram
Bavuma
Mulder
De Kock

Followed by the bowlers, which is a separate discussion...

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
For the WC, if Duminy comes back, then Reeza, vd Dussen and Klaasen are playing for one spot? Or maybe two if Markram continues to not perform in L/O.

Steyn, Ngidi, Rabada, Phehlukwayo seem to be seamers, though if Ngidi doesn't recover well form-wise after injury Paterson, Olivier and Morris come into the picture?

Pretorius/Mulder seem to be two seam all-rounders, with Morris having a second bite of the cherry there?

Tahir/Shamsi a lock for spin? Or will they want someone who can bat, Maharaj perhaps?

Marius

International Debutant
For the WC, if Duminy comes back, then Reeza, vd Dussen and Klaasen are playing for one spot? Or maybe two if Markram continues to not perform in L/O.

Steyn, Ngidi, Rabada, Phehlukwayo seem to be seamers, though if Ngidi doesn't recover well form-wise after injury Paterson, Olivier and Morris come into the picture?

Pretorius/Mulder seem to be two seam all-rounders, with Morris having a second bite of the cherry there?

Tahir/Shamsi a lock for spin? Or will they want someone who can bat, Maharaj perhaps?
Not sure they'll take two spinners to the UK? If it's only one, it's Tahir surely?

Guess the side will look something like tjis:

QDK
Amla
Hendricks
Faf
Duminy
Miller
Pretorius/Phehlukwayo/Morris
Rabada
Steyn
Tahir
Ngidi/Olivier/AN Other

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Shamsi will go, Morris is injured again! and Klaasens will go as backup wk lower order batsmen. I'm interested to see who of Hendricks, van Dussen, Markram go. I expect the wickets in England to by dryer and slower than normal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Think this is fair.

Locks.

Amla
de Kock
Faf
JP
Miller
Klaasen
Tahir
Shamsi
Steyn
Rabada
Ngidi

Last 4 spots

1 or 2 of vd Dussen, Markram, Hendricks
2 or 3 of D.Pretorius, Phehlukwayo, Morris, Olivier, Nortje, Paterson

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not sure they'll take two spinners to the UK? If it's only one, it's Tahir surely?
They'll probably only ever play one, which will obviously be Tahir, but it's not a good idea to not have a backup spinner in the squad, so Shamsi will go to the World Cup.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Last 4 spots

That second group might be split:

1 of Olivier, Nortje, Paterson
1 or 2 of Pretorius, Phehlukwayo, Morris, and maybe Mulder

So that's one backup quick and one or two allrounders - I suspect two, which means that it'll be one extra batsman.

Marius

International Debutant
Think this is fair.

Locks.

Amla
de Kock
Faf
JP
Miller
Klaasen
Tahir
Shamsi
Steyn
Rabada
Ngidi

Last 4 spots

Think you're right, but not sure they'll take Nortje unless he does something amazing between now and the WC.

He's injured now right? When is he back?

SeamUp

International Coach
Think you're right, but not sure they'll take Nortje unless he does something amazing between now and the WC.

He's injured now right? When is he back?
He is already bowling in the nets for 7-10 days I think.

I think he could be an exception for a late call-up. Lets not forget the domestic 50-over cup is coming up still too.

When do they have to pick a 15-man squad by ? Do they do that 30-man provisional one anymore ?

Marius

International Debutant
He is already bowling in the nets for 7-10 days I think.

I think he could be an exception for a late call-up. Lets not forget the domestic 50-over cup is coming up still too.

When do they have to pick a 15-man squad by ? Do they do that 30-man provisional one anymore ?
Don't know.

Apropos of nothing, I was looking at the squads for the 1992 World Cup (as one is wont to do) and I saw some joker had edited our squad to say Pat Symcox had been a member. I thought I was going mad but checked Cricinfo and saw he hadn't been in the squad. I edited the entry to take him out. Sorry Uncle Pat :(

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't know.

Apropos of nothing, I was looking at the squads for the 1992 World Cup (as one is wont to do) and I saw some joker had edited our squad to say Pat Symcox had been a member. I thought I was going mad but checked Cricinfo and saw he hadn't been in the squad. I edited the entry to take him out. Sorry Uncle Pat :(
:D Symcox was decent in the world series after the WC.

I do remember the controversy in selection for that world cup where Jimmy Cook, Clive Rice and Peter Kirsten were left out the prelim squad.

P.Kirsten eventually did make the squad and ended up our leading run scorer.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
That squad had an even spread almost of the Provinces

Western Province
Kuiper, McMillan, Pringle
Eastern Province
Wessels, Rushmere, Richardson
Border
P.Kirsten
Natal
Hudson, Rhodes
Free State
Cronje, Henry, Donald
Transvaal
Snell
N.Transvaal
Bosch

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
:D Symcox was decent in the world series after the WC.

I do remember the controversy in selection for that world cup where Jimmy Cook, Clive Rice and Peter Kirsten were left out the prelim squad.

P.Kirsten eventually did make the squad and ended up our leading run scorer.
I don't really remember the controversy but I've read quite a lot about it subsequently.

I think for a lot of people in SA that World Cup is what made them fall in love with cricket (it was for at least). My parents had always loved cricket but the bug only bit for me during that World Cup. And I only fell mindlessly and hopelessly in love with the game during that first tour of Australia. After that I was a lost cause.