• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Think its important we beat Pakistan 3-0 and Sri Lanka 2-0 so we keep in touch with India in the test match rankings before we go there this year.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would go Dean Elgar even though Aiden Markram is heir apparent. Just want Aiden to focus on his own batting for a while longer.

Feels like ages since we've had an official vice-captain. Since the whole Amla/AB captaincy I reckon.

Dendarii

International Debutant
There possibly is someone who is the designated vice-captain but they just never bother telling us because it's largely irrelevant, except in situations like this.

SeamUp

International Coach
There possibly is someone who is the designated vice-captain but they just never bother telling us because it's largely irrelevant, except in situations like this.
I just always remember :

Cronje to Wessels
Matthews to Cronje
Various stages G.Kirsten/Kallis/Boucher/Prince to S.Pollock/Smith

But since that period I can't remember official vice-captains. Was AB vice to Amla for example. Maybe it is the modern way to not really put it out there.

SeamUp

International Coach
gibson not worried about 'fantastic' de bruyn

it was hoped that after his impressive maiden test century (101) in sri lanka, this would be the series theunis de bruyn would kick on and cement his place in the national side.

Proteas coach ottis gibson has no concerns over the current form of theunis de bruyn. The incumbent number four batsman theunis de bruyn has had an underwhelming series against pakistan.

It was hoped that after his impressive maiden test century (101) in sri lanka, this would be the series he would kick on and cement his place in the national side.

However, scores of 29, 10, 13 and four against pakistan will disappoint the 26-year-old right-hander who has been prolific in domestic cricket over the last few years.

His test average after eight tests is a lowly 19.33 but gibson has no apprehension about the player.

“i think he's a fantastic player and he's shown in sri lanka, in those tough condition what type of player he is.”

“he’s had a couple of failures, but i can tell you when i saw him just now in the dressing room and he is not disheartened.”

“he knows that's the nature of the game you play, you're not going to score runs all the time and he's fine. He's going to be okay.”

his teammate temba bavuma echoed the sentiments of the coach.

“i think we all back theunis at number four, he has a strong record of scoring big hundreds. There is not too much worry from everyone around him because we know he is a quality player and on his day, he can do wonderful things.”

with captain faf du plessis suspended for one match, this could mean zubayr hamza will make his debut at the wanderers on friday. The cape cobras players averages just over 49 in first class cricket, he bats at three for his franchise and it remains to be seen where he would fit into the proteas batting line-up.

Interestingly, bavuma said on after day two that he would choose number four as his preferred batting position for the national team if he was forced to choose.

“i enjoy number four, that’s where i bat for my franchise the lions, so if i chose the position i would choose number four.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Test side

Potential order to test team so far this season with SA A selection in mind ?

* (limited overs) might be preferred option.

Openers ranking

1. Pieter Malan
2. Eddie Moore
3. Janneman Malan (limited overs)
4. Reeza Hendricks (limited overs)
5. Gihahn Cloete (limited overs)
6. Ryan Rickelton (limited overs)

Middle order

1. Zubayr Hamza
2. Wiaan Mulder
3. Rudi Second
4. Rassie van der Dussen (limited overs)
5. Heinrich Klaasen (limited overs)
6. Pite van Biljon (limited overs)
7. Keegan Petersen
8. David Bedingham

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Test side

Potential order to test team so far this season with SA A selection in mind ?

* (limited overs) might be preferred option.

Openers ranking

1. Pieter Malan
2. Eddie Moore
3. Janneman Malan (limited overs)
4. Reeza Hendricks (limited overs)
5. Gihahn Cloete (limited overs)
6. Ryan Rickelton (limited overs)

Middle order

1. Zubayr Hamza
2. Wiaan Mulder
3. Rudi Second
4. Rassie van der Dussen (limited overs)
5. Heinrich Klaasen (limited overs)
6. Pite van Biljon (limited overs)
7. Keegan Petersen
8. David Bedingham
Janneman seems to be doing the job at FC level as well? Not sure van Biljon should really be in reckoning at this stage.

SeamUp

International Coach
Janneman seems to be doing the job at FC level as well? Not sure van Biljon should really be in reckoning at this stage.
Just going on franchise output for van Biljon and others. Crazy that he has 10 franchise 100s in 31 games. Only one not on franchise 4-day output is Rickelton but he performed to a high standard so it will be great to see him get a chance as he may climb that list.

Rassie vd Dussen averages 45 in franchise FC cricket but I still think he is better suited to limited overs cricke. For me, what I've seen I think Janneman is a better white ball player but definitely can still play tests.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Franchise averages

Matches
Runs
Average
100s/50s
HS

Openers

P.Malan
8/15

Moore
5/11

J.Malan
2/2

Hendricks
12/23

Cloete
4/11

Middle-order

Hamza
3/8

Mulder
2/2

Second
9/18

van der Dussen
5/21

Klaasen
3/7

van Biljon
10/11

Petersen
5/8

Bedingham
2/1

The closest to pushing into this group is these 3 who are young and they just need some hundreds.

The rest are either not really in recognition despite 40+ average like (Van Jaarsveld, Cook) or been in the 30s average after many games (Vallie, Chetty, Behardien, Smith, Muthusamy, Erwee, Zondo, Vandiar of which Smith/Muthusamy can do a P.Malan)

Verreynne
0/7

Qeshile
0/4

Van Tonder
0/2

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
My hypothetical A side at around the time of the 2nd test was:
J. Malan (22); Cob
P. Malan (29); Cob
Hamza (23): Cob
Van der Dussen (29); Lio
Verreyne (k) (21); Cob
Qeshile (19); War
Muthusamy (24); Dol
E. Bosch (20); Dol
Phehlukwayo (22); Dol
B. Hendricks (28); Cob
Bokako (25); Cob

Shamsi (28); Tit
Klaasen (27); Tit
Second (c) (29); Kni
Sipamla (20); War

Of course Mulder wasn't fit then so he'd probably replace Bosch? Keegan Petersen and Moore have probably pushed ahead too since then... (Am aware there are 4 keepers in that 15).

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Trying to move this discussion from the tour thread....

Based off current team.

Markram, Elgar, Amla, Hamza, Faf, Bavuma, QDK, Piedt/Muthusamy, Maharaj, Rabada, Steyn seems a reasonable team for India.

Of course. Philander. Mulder, von Berg, and de Bruyn all come into consideration. Pitch dependant selection.

Bahseph

State Captain
It would be in India's best interests to have pitches that are only moderately favored to spin but still good to bat on if you get in. Unfortunately our batsmen haven't been able to experience what it feels like to bat long in ages,and skewing the pitch in favor of spin really brings Keshav into the game. And Keshav is quality, with the Indian batsmen not really being that great against spin themselves.

Bahseph

State Captain
Basically I feel as if our bowling has enough quality that they will be okay. Even if Piedt plays. (can someone get Harmer back in the set up for the tour? Haha). But putting up 400+ scores is foreign to us at the moment.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Query, does QDK keep the gloves long term in the SA test team? I ask this because we have a number of wk batsmen running around the FC level that are scoring runs and I'm wondering if they have a shot at the team only if QDK stops keeping?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Query, does QDK keep the gloves long term in the SA test team? I ask this because we have a number of wk batsmen running around the FC level that are scoring runs and I'm wondering if they have a shot at the team only if QDK stops keeping?
Only if we have no batsmen coming through. Else QDK sticks with the gilly role.