• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sore losers

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
When Australia lost to England in 1972 at Headingley they blamed fusarium.
There is an Aussie documentary on youtube, cricket in the '70s or something or other, and the Australians (your Chappells etc) are still going on about fusarium today - well the documentary might've come about ten years ago. I thought it was the poms who were supposed to be whingers?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Uh the Richie Richardson comment looks very bad!

Did the Lehmann-Broad thing happen at the middle of a series? If so, one could forgive Lehmann for doing this as part of a strategy.
Don't think so. Pretty sure it was more of a weird sort of marketing campaign to develop hype for the series and fire up the locals in a country where interest in cricket has long been waning, more so than just whinging for the sake of whinging.

There was definitely nothing special about that particular incident. Even in that same series there were worse umpiring decisions (eg. Khawaja given caught behind on review despite clearly missing the ball by a foot) that no one whined about.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is an Aussie documentary on youtube, cricket in the '70s or something or other, and the Australians (your Chappells etc) are still going on about fusarium today - well the documentary might've come about ten years ago. I thought it was the poms who were supposed to be whingers?
Hardly surprising given that they're still whinging about Old Trafford in 1956

Heboric

International Debutant
I think this can fall under 'sore loser' category.

Geoff Boycott with his video interviews for the Telegraph during 2013/14 Ashes, kept on how the Austrailian bowlers barring Johnson were nothing special

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Geoff Boycott with his video interviews for the Telegraph during 2013/14 Ashes, kept on how the Austrailian bowlers barring Johnson were nothing special
Not really sure that's Geoff Boycott being a sore loser.......more Geoff Boycott being an idiot. And anyone that could keep a straight face and say Ryan Harris wasn't special is indeed an idiot.

TheJediBrah

Tbf Siddle and Lyon weren't anything special.

Top_Cat

Personally, I never took Richardson's comments as him being a sore loser. He later clarified that, 'on paper', the Aussies shouldn't have beaten them at home (a whack at his own team too) but that the Aussies absolutely played better cricket and on this he was right. The batting line-ups had fairly evenly distributed strengths and weaknesses but the bowling attacks barely compared. The Aussies had lost their two best quicks from the team who touched up England at home, McDermott and Fleming, to stupidity and a shoulder niggle respectively right before the series. That left Warne to front up with a solid Test quick (Reiffel) who hadn't played one in a year, a completely unproven quick who'd just gotten back in after being dropped for most of said home summer (McGrath) and Brendan ****ing Julian. That they came together amazingly well as a unit doesn't change that you'd definitely rather have been in the WI dressing room prior to the series starting with the Aussie plans basically in disarray a week before the first Test. In the heat of being the first WI skipper to lose a home series in 20 years, I always just took him for having misspoke a bit.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
When Australia lost to England in 1972 at Headingley they blamed fusarium.
iirc, Benaud states in both the highlights for the match and in 'Cricket in the 70s' that the English blamed the fusarium for killing the grass on the pitch.
Wisden states only that the pitch, "had been flooded by a freak thunderstorm over the week-end," but Underwood also briefly mentions the fusarium thing here.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Geoff Boycott is a clown, it's offensive he makes a living from offering his opinion on the sport.