• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
VICTORY!!! Wow, this has been a freaking cracker of a game. far out. Don't really support any team in the A-League (will support an Illawarra/Wollongong side if they do come in) but this has been some cracking football. First half was a little dull, thanks to some Sydney dominance of the ball, but the 2nd half has been lit up by Caceras, Archie and Fred. Top football.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Australian Squad to play Ghana this month was announce a couple days ago:

John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Mark Bresciano (Palermo, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Brett Holman (NEC Nijmegen, Netherlands), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City, England), Scott McDonald (Motherwell, Scotland), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Michael Petkovic (Sivasspor, Turkey), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England), Josip Skoko (Wigan, England), Shane Stefanutto (SK Lillestrom, Norway), Mile Sterjovski (Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Twente, Netherlands).

Its bacially a full strength European based squad, with the likes of McDonald, Kisnorbo, Holman, Petkovic and Stefanutto being given a chance to impress. Interesting to see Petkovic preferred over Covic and Thompson not in the squad. No Micheal Beachamp is also an interesting move, with Kisnorbo and Stefanutto preferred. Looks a bit like squad rotation to me, which i guess is a good thing as we need to build depth at the back and up front.

Not sure who they will call up for McDonald, i hope they call up David Williams from Brondry, his been killing in the Asian U20 Cup. We also in the QFs in the tournment and will play South Korea. The other option i guess is Nick Ward, which wouldn't be bad either.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Hope for your sake he stays on the bench. Rank club player in a fairly awful league. :p
He is from the Gold Coast so he has recieved a fair bit of press about his call up. Personally I had never heard of the guy.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just read that Ben Buckley just got appointed as our new CEO. Apparently he is pretty high up in the AFL, played for the Kangaroos too. First we take someone from Rugby, now someone from AFL. Looks like the right man for the job, hopefully he can improve our youth system, so its similar to the AFL one.

http://www.a-league.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=5829&pageid=11

EDIT: In other news Ryan Griffiths replaced Scott McDonald in the squad to play Ghana. It was also announced that Australia will play Demark on Feb 6th, in lead up to the Asia Cup. Also the U20s lost to South Korea 2-1, meaning we will have no side playing in the Youth World Cups, U17 or U20. Lets hope the U23s can make it to the Olympics, or we will need a complete overhaul of our youth set up.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Could very well be at Queensland v Adelaide on Saturday night.

Should be a great game.

Craig

World Traveller
Wow that is bit of a shock.

Went to the game last night and really it should of been a draw as really both sides didn't deserve to win but Queensland's finishing was terrible. Why Reinaldo stayed out there for the whole game I don't know and neither how Simon Lynch didn't score in the first half from his header I don't know either.

TV interview get's firey

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
IMO he should have quit/been sacked last season, pretty average coach if you ask me. People say that Roar don't have quality forwards to finish off the good work from their midfield, but IMO they have four very good forwards. It just that he never could get the best out of them.

Media reports of Farina to coach Roar in 1,2,3...

Craig

World Traveller
That is old news that Farina wants the Roar job.

It is as certain as it was that Ricky Stuart was going to coach the Sharks in the NRL or Darrell Hair to be struck of the ICC Umpiring Elite Panel.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
With Cahill, Niell and maybe Moore also out for the match against Ghana, we are going to have a very interesting side that will take the field. The guys they brought in were Michael Beauchamp, Michael Thwaite and the most intestesting one Kasey Wehrman. Kasey being playing in Norway pretty much since the 2000 Olympics and was forgotten for a long, probably cus he was playing crap. Back in 2000 he was infront of Grella and Bresciano. It funny how things have changed over the years.

If Craig Moore is out i wouldn't be surprised if they have a back three of Emerton, Chipperfield and Kisnorbo. With Wilkshire and Stefanutto playing as wing backs. Im expecting to lose 3-1, with the lack defence.

Craig

World Traveller
Former Ajax manager Danny Blind was actually at the Queensland v Adelaide game and soon after Bleiberg quit the media started linking his name to the job although both parties have denied it. It was reported that they have had 25 applicants already!

ash chaulk

International Captain
Craig said:
Former Ajax manager Danny Blind was actually at the Queensland v Adelaide game and soon after Bleiberg quit the media started linking his name to the job although both parties have denied it. It was reported that they have had 25 applicants already!
rumours are not true i have not been linked to the queensland job

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
1-nil to Australia against Ghana, after the 1st half. Probably the best half i've seen Australia play without Guus in charge. I like the formation too, some very good games from Kisnorbo and Wilkshere, easierly the laters best game in the green and gold.