• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mad Stan for Oz?

Stanley Victor Collymore, renowned dogger, Swedish TV-presenter beater-upper, fire-extinguisher letter-offer & sometime footballer has been offered the chance to resurrect his career at the Newcastle Jets. & who said The A-League would be a dumping ground for English has-beens?! (:p)

From the beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5357862.stm

Actually says he's "cool" on the idea & is probably just his agent talking up a potential English contract; although if Stanley thinks O'Neill would touch him he's more delusional than I gave him credit for!

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Stanley Victor Collymore, renowned dogger, Swedish TV-presenter beater-upper, fire-extinguisher letter-offer & sometime footballer has been offered the chance to resurrect his career at the Newcastle Jets. & who said The A-League would be a dumping ground for English has-beens?! (:p)

From the beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5357862.stm

Actually says he's "cool" on the idea & is probably just his agent talking up a potential English contract; although if Stanley thinks O'Neill would touch him he's more delusional than I gave him credit for!
haha yeah been in the news for about 2-3 days over here. Would still be a good signing IMO. He is a has-been but he was still a damn good player, just never lived up to his potential. Maybe football will help him keep his "disgressions" under control too, not that it ever has before :p

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Those are the rumours im hearing.. Would make alot of sense to, afterall Adelaide are increasing their South American link...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hes only about 16 goals from 1000 in his career too, hopefully he goes back to Vasco for a bit then comes here and scores his 1000th...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Romario to Adelaide is a done deal...

Not sure when he's starting but he will make 4 guest appearances...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From the PSV website...

Now that Miami's season has come to an end, Romário is expected to return to Vasco da Gama in Rio. The former PSV icon has meanwhile taken his career tally to 984 goals, so he needs to find the net sixteen more time to reach a landmark one thousand goals. Romario may make fourteen league appearances with Vasco da Gama and his club may also schedule some friendlies.

ash chaulk

International Captain
glory so uncool

foxsports allows us to hear the bad language at members equity very bad for young viewers

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo u fat....

Cloete

International Captain
TWG said:
AFL running scared of Victory - AAP

Melbourne Victory is disappointed the AFL has refused to publish an advertisement for the A-League club's clash with Queensland Roar in its grand final program.

The Victory was keen to promote its top-of-the-table clash at Telstra Dome, to be played the day after Saturday's AFL decider between Sydney and West Coast.

But the Victory was told the proposed ad in the Footy Record had been turned down by the AFL.

"It's a huge weekend for sport in town, a great celebration and we want to let all the fans know, especially the ones coming from interstate, about our game against Queensland on Sunday," Victory chief executive Geoff Miles said.

"And we got a call yesterday that the ad had been pulled."

"We understand that the reason was because we are a rival code and the AFL have a discretion to take out any ads that they're not happy with."

"We're disappointed, we're supporting the Storm this weekend, the (NRL grand final against Brisbane will be live) on the screens at Telstra Dome for all the fans."

"We thought there was plenty of room for both codes - being in the summer and all the public comments from (AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou) about there being room for all codes here."

"It's disappointing that they won't accept our money."

The Victory drew an A-League record crowd of almost 40,000 fans to its first match at Telstra Dome against Sydney FC earlier this month and is expecting more than 30,000 for Sunday's clash with the second-placed Roar.

"It wasn't a huge ad but it certainly would have cost us a few thousand dollars and we're happy to make that investment," said Miles.

"(The AFL) have discretion to approve or not approve."

"And whilst there are a number of reasons, it seems that one of them was because we are a rival code and it's an important publication for them on their big day."

Victory has won its opening five matches.
****s

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Meanwhile the Knights have gone down 1-0 to Central Coast after conceeding a penalty with 5 minutes to go and getting two players sent off.

For ****'s sake :wallbash:

Cloete

International Captain
Sir Redman said:
Meanwhile the Knights have gone down 1-0 to Central Coast after conceeding a penalty with 5 minutes to go and getting two players sent off.

For ****'s sake :wallbash:
Yeah that was shocking at the end there. They sort of brought it upon themselves by simply not scoring though. They totally dominate the match again and have alot of chances but once again come up scoreless and end up losing. They're not playing badly at all, although they tend to send too many long balls in they still managed alot of chances, but they just can't find the net. Feel sorry for them really as their future isn't looking good at all.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Cloete said:
Yeah that was shocking at the end there. They sort of brought it upon themselves by simply not scoring though. They totally dominate the match again and have alot of chances but once again come up scoreless and end up losing. They're not playing badly at all, although they tend to send too many long balls in they still managed alot of chances, but they just can't find the net. Feel sorry for them really as their future isn't looking good at all.
I didn't see much of the game because I was watching something else, but were we still playing 4-5-1? Because we are simply never going to score if we only play with one striker. Our only goal this season was a bit of a fluke to be honest, the guy who scored that has missed about three sitters since then to prove the point really.

Same old story for NZ teams in the Aussie comps. Completely lacking ability to score goals and a pathetic tendency to concede soft goals with <5 minutes to go. I saw it time and time again while we were the Kingz, and that's continuing at the Knights.

Cloete

International Captain
Sir Redman said:
I didn't see much of the game because I was watching something else, but were we still playing 4-5-1? Because we are simply never going to score if we only play with one striker. Our only goal this season was a bit of a fluke to be honest, the guy who scored that has missed about three sitters since then to prove the point really.

Same old story for NZ teams in the Aussie comps. Completely lacking ability to score goals and a pathetic tendency to concede soft goals with <5 minutes to go. I saw it time and time again while we were the Kingz, and that's continuing at the Knights.
Nah they ended up playing a 4-3-3. The problem is they were playing with wing forwards in Richter and Hickey and they never got in behind the Mariners defence. I hate the Mariners with a passion though, they're the biggest bunch of ****s in the competition and they just chucked heaps of people back. It happened to the Roar last week against Adelaide, 10 men behind the ball means you really have to take every little chance that comes your way. Roar didn't last week and neither did the Knights. They played some decent football though whereas the Mariners just rely on counter attacks or long balls and defending with their bunch of overrated over the hill former NSL players who I ****ing hate. I'm so sick of the Mariners TBH. The Knights may well be getting small crowds and hardly ever scoring goals but I far prefer them to the Mariners. Atleast they have their own brand of football and some overseas flair. Every team has a few good foreigners or some good young Aussies with alot of flair. The Mariners HAD some good young defenders but they have nothing but a bunch of over the hill former NSL players now and that includes Gumprecht. ****ing Gumprecht. Get some young Australians, some players with a bit of flair or some big name players or **** off please. Bloody McKinna :@