• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith - Archer

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that were true you'd just be replying to yourself most of the time
you say that but i bet you can't find a single thing I've said in an argument with someone today that is objectively wrong, whereas I could find plenty for those arguing with me

I may have some dumb opinions at times, sometimes even deliberately so, but I'll generally express them as opinions and won't get in a proper argument about them. I guarantee if someone is in an argument with me regarding something other than a subjective opinion, they are wrong.

trundler

you say that but i bet you can't find a single thing I've said in an argument with someone today that is objectively wrong, whereas I could find plenty for those arguing with me

I may have some dumb opinions at times, sometimes even deliberately so, but I'll generally express them as opinions and won't get in a proper argument about them. I guarantee if someone is in an argument with me regarding something other than a subjective opinion, they are wrong.
Ok

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

The Archer hype-train is in overdrive. Not saying that there shouldn't be hype but everything he does is being blown out of proportion. The bloke took 2-60 on a bowlers' wicket and there's articles about how he's signalling England's domination of world cricket
Objectively wrong, he took 2-59.

TheJediBrah

Another objectively wrong point is that articles implies more than 1 article.
who says there isn't more than one. I can easily find more if you really want. Seems like a waste of time though, considering how thoroughly I've already been proven right

in fact it doesn't even necessarily imply more than 1 article either, given the context it was used it. Like if I said "marc you're in no position to be making accusations about me being wrong", doesn't mean you've made more than 1 accusation. It's a figure of speech.

Add yourself to the list of people proven objectively wrong. Another emphatic win

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
who says there isn't more than one. I can easily find more if you really want. Seems like a waste of time though, considering how thoroughly I've already been proven right

in fact it doesn't even necessarily imply more than 1 article either, given the context it was used it. Like if I said "marc you're in no position to be making accusations about me being wrong", doesn't mean you've made more than 1 accusation. It's a figure of speech.
I saw the Guardian talking about 'the first of many test wickets' and the Telegraph (okay, Vaughan) about Root having 'found his all conditions match winner'. You can argue that hitting Smith on the head was more important than any wicket, and you'd have a good case, but you'd have a hard time convincing me he bowled better than Broad and Woakes, indeed for someone with so much natural ability he displayed rather suboptimal application of it, and spent the whole morning failing to make the batsmen play. Rabada seemed an immediately more mature bowler when he started than I've ever seen from Archer. The hype is definitely there.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith will figure it out immediately and counter it with no trouble IMO
I mean, that's been the case for everything else thrown at him. If he can score the runs he has on dust bowls in the subcontinent and clearly pace is not something he's scared of, he'll find a way to overcome any struggle, perceived or otherwise, against Archer. He's incredible in that sense of eliminating any form of weakness or risk from his game.

Burgey

I think the arm knock really threw him out tbh. Before that he was content enough to just play Archer out. The deck being a bit up and down made the contest even more compelling I think. I've heard various comments about how much of a handful he would be on a faster deck like a WACA or even the new Perth stadium, but besides the obvious point he's going to be a handful on anything, I imagine you'd rather play him on a fast but consistent deck than one which is slower but a bit up and down.

His liking several tasteless posts on social media about Smith says a bit about him as a bloke, mind you. As did his reaction after hitting him. The bloke's obviously a turd, but he's a good bowler. It's going to be on like Donkey Kong next test, particularly if Australia picks Starc.

the big bambino

International Captain
Its funny to think if he was wearing an arm guard it might have saved him a lot of initial and subsequent pain. I'm sure he'll be wearing one from now. Needs neck protection on his helmet too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the arm knock really threw him out tbh. Before that he was content enough to just play Archer out. The deck being a bit up and down made the contest even more compelling I think. I've heard various comments about how much of a handful he would be on a faster deck like a WACA or even the new Perth stadium, but besides the obvious point he's going to be a handful on anything, I imagine you'd rather play him on a fast but consistent deck than one which is slower but a bit up and down.

His liking several tasteless posts on social media about Smith says a bit about him as a bloke, mind you. As did his reaction after hitting him. The bloke's obviously a turd, but he's a good bowler. It's going to be on like Donkey Kong next test, particularly if Australia picks Starc.
Wow, massive turd. No excuse for that. Why do professional sportspeople (some) still not get it and act like oblivious teenage girls on social media

Burgey

TBF to him, he was replying to a tweet by some bloke who posted a headless gif, and he just said "Naughty." So I suppose I am being a bit harsh on him, but I probably wouldn't have looked upon it that way were he not having a giggle with Buttler after he hit the bloke. The irony of Buttler laughing at someone having a mishap while batting is pretty large though.

Mind you, the bloke who posted the initial tweet looks like Tommy Robinson/ Peter Sweden supporter so plainly a ****.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
That's not too bad. Agree the behaviour on pitch was shallow hard man bull****. Buttler sucking up and urging him shows him up as a crawler.