• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we promote Regional Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Holland, Scotland and Ireland IMO should certainly be guaranteed regular ODIs against sides that tour England - Bangladesh's itinerary is ideal this summer, I'm disappointed that Pakistan aren't making their way north of the border though, particularly given that there's a reasonable Pakistani community in the vicinity of the main cricket ground in Glasgow.

asham87

Cricket Spectator
The top sides play enough without wasting their time further.

Regional tournaments won't work because there's too few top sides, the only region in which this would be viable is Asia. Guess what? We already have an Asia Cup.

It might work in Europe if we didn't include England, I'm sure there's already some European tournament though.

Hey Gingerball, What I am saying is that we can have a mixture of team for top 8 in such a way that they have some stars, some Team A players and some Youngsters in the team. Till few years back we had European and African Cup, in which England used to send a second string team and same for SA and Zim, and guess what Test nations did not win everytime :). These were stopped and changed by ICC World League.

This can be a double benefit. Team A and youngsters will get exposure and the associate's have what they want most, cricket at great level.

For Eg The Indian Squad can be (Just an example)
Gautam Gambhir
Suresh Raina
Ashish Nehra
Irfan Pathan
Virendra Sehwag
Shikhar Dhawan (India A)
Jaskaran Singh (India A)
Dhawal Kulkarni (India A)
Manish Pandey (India A)
Saurabh Tiwary (India A)
Ashok Menaria (India U-19)
Mandeep Singh (India U-19)
Mayank Agarwal (India U-19)
Akshath Reddy (India U-19)
Sandeep Sharma (India U-19)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a waste of time for the younger players as well, they'd play a much higher standard of cricket either at home in domestic cricket or on A team tours of other Test nations.

I don't see how forcing the likes of Australia to play Fiji benefits them at all.

asham87

Cricket Spectator
It's a waste of time for the younger players as well, they'd play a much higher standard of cricket either at home in domestic cricket or on A team tours of other Test nations.

I don't see how forcing the likes of Australia to play Fiji benefits them at all.
Maybe Oceania Cup lags behind the likes of other's. But if ICC makes an itenary it should make an equal deal for all. If Australia and NZ are not comfortable then maybe then the Americas and Oceania cups may be combined. And I beleive these tournaments should be played from the Associate point of view not particularly Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What benefit would these hypothetical tournaments where the associates get thrashed provide?

Especially when there's the current structure with the divisions etc. so the weaker nations get to play against teams of a much more even ability level.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I would rather up the media coverage for games played by non-test nations and see how it goes tbh.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Africa Cup

Some great news. This can be a great idea for regional tournaments

Africa set sights on continental tournament

Africa is likely to have its own continental tournament in the near future. Cassim Suliman, the CEO of the Africa Cricket Association is understood to be organising a tournament involving South Africa A, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Uganda, Namibia and possibly a combined Africa team.

Africa is the only one of the ICC's development regions not to have its own biennial tournament for non-Test nations. The proposed event would not be the long awaited World Cricket League Africa Division One event.

jashan83

U19 Captain
What benefit would these hypothetical tournaments where the associates get thrashed provide?

Especially when there's the current structure with the divisions etc. so the weaker nations get to play against teams of a much more even ability level.
In sports there is a saying "The more tougher the opponent, more tough you become". I believe this is valid for life :) . Fiji will gain out of this factor. They maybe thrashed but on real time knows on what are their real weakness and need to work for it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would suggest that the gulf in quality between Fiji and test-playing sides is so vast that they'd learn nothing from a game against them. They would however learn from playing other associate nations who are at or above their level.

Isn't that exactly what the WCL is doing?

jashan83

U19 Captain
I would suggest that the gulf in quality between Fiji and test-playing sides is so vast that they'd learn nothing from a game against them. They would however learn from playing other associate nations who are at or above their level.

Isn't that exactly what the WCL is doing?
Well I will say Oceania may be hopeless of the case but for Sure Nepal playing more of India and Pak would definitely be beneficial for them. After all Nepal U-19 has defeated NZ, Ban and one more test team in one world cup. So there is a chance. I would like to see the tournaments from the positive tournament and not take the weakest link and turn idea upside down,

Galactus

Banned
the only problem we will be facing is the length of 50 ovr odis too boring

Its better to play a lenghty league with associate nations and the A teams of the stronger nations this will help them to strengthen their team

Full time contracts are also important

wt do u thnk??

Last edited:

dro87

U19 12th Man
Full time contracts are also important

They would surely raise the playing standards in the associate leves, but VERY few countries could afford a unit of 16 professional players..

O the Regional Tournamens topic, i think it would benifit mainly the associate, but not only tecnicly speaking.. in the sense of media coverage.. More people would pick up cricket if we played bigger teams, and if does games would be televised

Galactus

Banned
They would surely raise the playing standards in the associate leves, but VERY few countries could afford a unit of 16 professional players..

O the Regional Tournamens topic, i think it would benifit mainly the associate, but not only tecnicly speaking.. in the sense of media coverage.. More people would pick up cricket if we played bigger teams, and if does games would be televised
what is the state of cricket in italy ? are d matches shown on tv

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No.

This is the one thing that you simply refuse to understand - outwith the Test playing nations, cricket is a tiny, minority sport that pretty much no-one cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.