• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Black Caps do the haka?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For those who don't know, the haka is a Maori welcome that is performed, most famously by the All Blacks.

Does it have a place in cricket? thoughts?

Blaze

Banned
Nope. Not enough maori/pacific islanders in the squad. Doesn't have the same background or history as say League or Union.

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
No. Daniel Vettori will not intimidate anyone.

Exactly.. lol and cricket isn't a game where the teams literally colide so trying to intimidate an international cricket side isn't going to work.

Lol imagine Flem and the lads doing the Haka, the opposition would probably crack up laughing. Big Daryll Tuffey might find himself back in the black caps though.

Natman20

International Debutant
It would more likely make us look like more of a joke than an intimidating side. Just wondering who could do a good job doing it though hmmmmm maybe they could use face paints. :ph34r:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I think its more for the bigger boys in rugby, league & basketball.

I really can't see The Marshall brothers, Vincent etc scaring anyone.

They should just send out Tuffey, Bond, Oram, Cairns & maybe Fleming to do it. haha.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
the last haka i saw by the kiwis was by the players left out of the last test in the test series win against england in england
shayne o' conner and simon doull were funny

thierry henry

International Coach
Daniel Vettori is a big bad man, "Daniel Vettori is a weeny cos he has glasses" jokes are so 1997.

Despite this, the haka would be stupid because cricket is a non-contact, bat and ball sport. It doesn't require the players to get "fired up" in the same way that rugby, league, even basketball do.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
For those who don't know, the haka is a Maori welcome that is performed, most famously by the All Blacks.

Does it have a place in cricket? thoughts?
NEVER - ridiculous suggestion. Its just not cricket

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't suggesting that they should or shouldn't do it. I was just interested to bring up a debate on it.