• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Ashes be downgraded to a 3 match series?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If the Ashes were 3 Test series England would have had 4 white washes in the last 5 away series.

Would say the same about 2005 and probably 2009 too but not to the same extent. 2005 was a culmination of freakish circumstances and Aus should have won 49 times out of 50. 2009 the teams were definitely closer.

One thing the last few Ashes in England has shown us though, is that England will overperform and Aus will underperform relative to their teams on paper.
IIRC Australia haven't won an away test series since they toured NZ in like 2015/16 (?)

Australia just aren't good tourists anymore

Victor Ian

International Coach
What an absolute joke NZ only get two tests in India. They are the reigning champs. If there is ever a moment when they deserve 3, 4 or even 5 tests, it is right now. I hope NZ win the first and a monsoon wipes out the second.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What an absolute joke NZ only get two tests in India. They are the reigning champs. If there is ever a moment when they deserve 3, 4 or even 5 tests, it is right now. I hope NZ win the first and a monsoon wipes out the second.
This was due to us getting only 2 tests in NZ, I am pretty sure. You guys got 3 last time you were here.. You would have gotten 3 if you had given us 3, I assume.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This was due to us getting only 2 tests in NZ, I am pretty sure. You guys got 3 last time you were here.. You would have gotten 3 if you had given us 3, I assume.
Do you know this? Is it the stated reason - or just your reasoning. If NZ only gave india 2 tests and India wanted more, that is pretty dumb of NZ, because India are always a big drawcard. I'd imagine India imposed the previous 2 test visit in NZ, if there was a culprit behind it.
It's also a pretty **** philosophy to play tit for tat. NZ are good now - they need to be tested now.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I’m confused. Are you stuck in mid 2021?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The Ashes should be the best of 5 Tests but, once a team has a 3-0 or 3-1 advantage, the remaining Tests shouldn't go ahead as full Tests but instead be exhibition matches featuring borderline players.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Ashes should be the best of 5 Tests but, once a team has a 3-0 or 3-1 advantage, the remaining Tests shouldn't go ahead as full Tests but instead be exhibition matches featuring borderline players.
I can't see how that would be a good idea. People pay for tickets to see the best players.

Flem274*

123/5
England and Aus boards, despite behind the scenes dubiousness, are pretty good about hosting less rich boards for 3 tests. Certainly performance based hosting would only see SA and India get more than 2 tests in Aus.

Smaller boards get real spew schedules among themselves. Upcoming NZ vs SA should be 4 tests, but crickets financial model is one obstacle to it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Do you know this? Is it the stated reason - or just your reasoning. If NZ only gave india 2 tests and India wanted more, that is pretty dumb of NZ, because India are always a big drawcard. I'd imagine India imposed the previous 2 test visit in NZ, if there was a culprit behind it.
It's also a pretty **** philosophy to play tit for tat. NZ are good now - they need to be tested now.
Nah, it is how bilateral agreements work. BCCI asked for a 3rd test in 2010 or whenever we won there and so the next series were 3 test series between the sides. Then NZC said only 2 tests in 2018 or whenever we toured and so now they got only 2.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, it is how bilateral agreements work. BCCI asked for a 3rd test in 2010 or whenever we won there and so the next series were 3 test series between the sides. Then NZC said only 2 tests in 2018 or whenever we toured and so now they got only 2.
I honestly have no idea how this works and you may well be right but tbh I'm not buying it.

On the face of it if the BCCI wanted 3 tests then 3 tests is what they would have got. NZ doesn't have the muscle to challenge them over something like that and as VI said.......why would they, it makes no sense.

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Boards want to make money, they book tours that generate money via people attending or TV rights.
Australians turn up to watch England, even if England are being continuously beaten badly.