• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the 2013/14 series be the final Ashes series held?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think there were weren't there? That was when that photo was taken of Snow being grabbed by the fans when he was fielding on the boundary and Illingworth either did or threatened to take England off
I was reminded of this incident when reading that some clown has set up a Facebook page wrt his intention to run onto the MCG and rubgy tackle Broad. Lets hope at least a semblance of common sense prevails. Some of his mates breaking both of his legs should do the job.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was reminded of this incident when reading that some clown has set up a Facebook page wrt his intention to run onto the MCG and rubgy tackle Broad. Lets hope at least a semblance of common sense prevails. Some of his mates breaking both of his legs should do the job.
Let's face it someone who sets up a facebook page threatening to do someone in is full of the proverbial. Some fans have no class these days unlike the great Lord's legend of 1975, the one and only Michael Angelo. Still makes me laugh today!!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Let's face it someone who sets up a facebook page threatening to do someone in is full of the proverbial. Some fans have no class these days unlike the great Lord's legend of 1975, the one and only Michael Angelo. Still makes me laugh today!!!
Was that the streaker? Or whatever it was that John Arlott called him at the time?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. When he told the Judge he had streaked for a 20 pound bet, the Judge said the court will have that 20 pounds.
Nice sign of humour from the judge.

I'd trying to recall what Arlott called him when commentating. Was it a 'freaker'? I suspect the great man wasn't 100% familiar with mid-1970s trends.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nice sign of humour from the judge.

I'd trying to recall what Arlott called him when commentating. Was it a 'freaker'? I suspect the great man wasn't 100% familiar with mid-1970s trends.
Don't know what Arlott had to say about it as I was watching it on tele and Arlott was on radio. Jim Laker was doing the commentary at the moment. He said something like 'there's the old streaker.' Arlott wasn't naive though and if he called him 'freaker' I am sure it was tongue in cheek.

SpofforthLohman

U19 12th Man
I have been absolutely disgusted by the common abuse and outright hostility on display by both sides both during and after the 1st test. Whilst all the media focus has been on Australian players (i.e. Clarke and Warner), it would appear that English players are also just as guilty, if it is the case that Anderson threatened to punch Bailey. Regardless of which side these players represent or which side is the more guilty, these players should be banned - forever. It is revolting. It is clear that so called "sledging" has become more than just humourous banter. It has been allowed to degenerate into common abuse, outright hostility, and nastiness. What kind of example does this set to our children? It is simply not acceptable and the ICC need to ban it. A few years ago, a local man in our area was beaten unconscious by a gang of out of control feral youths. He died as a result of the attack. He was killed by a mindless act of violence by children who clearly had lost all respect for authority. At the trial, it became pretty clear to me that a contributory factor in the loss of respect had been the appalling example that has been set by some so called sports 'stars' who are supposed to act as role models - mainly footballers. Well, they are role models - role models for bad behaviour and open contempt for rules and authority.

In the UK, we have long had to live with the appalling example set by many footballers, but at least that game has been trying to put its house in order in recent years (i.e. the punishment handed down to John Terry, the crackdown on racism, etc). But, now it appears that the disease is spreading to cricket. I am disgusted that Australian TV have apologised for exposing Michael Clarke's appalling behaviour, and failing to report James Anderson's alleged behaviour at the time that it occurred. What they are saying is that they should have covered up for breaches of the rules. Absolutely disgusting. If players break the rules, then you report it to the authorities. You don't cover it up and allow it to continue. That way, the mindless morons think they can get away with it, continue, and then it degenerates even further into something even worse (which it obviously has).

I also note from Darren Lehmann and Peter Siddle's comments today, and the activities of the gutter press, that they seem to think that common abuse and outright hostility is a legitimate tactic for winning, and that it is okay to literally win at all costs. Well, it isn't. There is a word for this kind of behaviour - it's called cheating. There is only one legitimate way to win and that is to play the best cricket on the pitch. Mitchell Johnson's match winning bowling (and I would add, his impressive batting) is the way to go (and nobody has any problem with good honest, tough hard cricket). The role of sport is to foster good relations between people, communities, areas, countries, whatever, and to set a good example to the next generation in how to behave fairly (and win/lose fairly). The example being set by Mr Lehmann, Mr Siddle, and the gutter press, is the complete opposite. What they are saying is that personal attacks, common abuse, threats of violence, and outright hostility is absolutely fine and a legitimate tactic for winning. Clearly, it is not. And if that is the way things are going, then clearly the sport is no longer worth playing, as it then becomes more of a problem for society, than a benefit.

It has become obvious in recent times that the Australian and English teams absolutely detest each other. That is the fault of the ICC for allowing the more unsavoury elements in both teams to get away with abusing each other over a long period of time. That appalling behaviour by players and the attitude of the gutter press is setting an appalling example to our children. Accordingly, I think we should make this the final Ashes series. Its continuation would cause far more problems than it is worth, and it no longer acts as a vehicle for fostering good relations between both countries. On the contrary, as things stand, it is poisoning relations and generating ill will.

In terms of finishing the current series, the ICC need to send a strong and unequivocal message to both sides that common abuse, threats of violence, and open hostility will no longer be tolerated and that if anybody is found to be guilty of it in future, then they will receive a lifetime ban from cricket. The ICC also need to eliminate the hostile atmosphere that seems to have pervaded this series, and the media regulators in both countries need to start prosecuting media outlets that have been trying to whip up the hostility levels. I am sure that there are some within the cricketing and media fraternities who have been whipping up the hostility levels deliberately to generate interest in the series, and make it more profitable. Capitalism is no excuse, because society as a whole ends up paying for it in the end in terms of violent crime and juvenile delinquency

Let's make this the final Ashes series. I certainly would not want this kind of sporting event going to England in 2015, where the mindless morons that run the British gutter press try to create a similarly hostile environment for the Australians, so that they can 'give it back' and 'reap the whirlwind' as it were. At some point, this kind of nonsense has to stop, and it should end by making this the final Ashes series.

In terms of the outcome of the current series? I couldn't care less. For me, it has already been irretrievably tarnished by the appalling behaviour of both sides. They are as bad as each each. There are no heroes in this - just villains - poster people and role models for disgusting behaviour. As stated, it sets an appalling example for our children, and society ends of paying for it in the end with mindless acts of violence and juvenile delinquency.
Seriously ?, you make a thread about such a stupid question, as if they would suddenly cancel the longest and greatest contest in world sport ?, a series established in 1880 that has gone from strength to strength. You can't be serious. As for agression and sledging this is childs play to the days when Dave Gregory was the captain with the likes of Spofforth. Those guys played up really bad on trips to England, even throwing some English passenger into the water for a laugh. Australia has been down for so long, starting ashes series with the white flag already (seemingly) hoisted before it even begins. They need to get damn aggressive if they want to end this horror spell by getting our ashes back.

SpofforthLohman

U19 12th Man
Without clicking the link (I'm lazy) that's the Bradman catch where he didn't walk and wasn't given wasn't it?

Put the lack of ramifications down to the (relative) lack of media. The only people who would have likely seen the incident would have been people at the ground and people who watched newsreels at the cinema.

I think we can also put the lack of ramifications down to it being an Australian. There's a common theme here - Lillee and Thomson in 74/75 - good hard Test cricket. Bodyline - unfair, against the spirit of the game. Bradman doesn't walk - no incident. Broad doesn't walk - uproar.

It's because Australians are a bunch of whingers.
Oh come on, bodyline was far different, if Lillee and Thomson had been able to use bodyline then that would have been way over the top and a death would have been likely. Australians had changed a bit since Bodyline times. You use the word whingers, but I recall that a short time after Learie Constantine used a bit of body;line tactics (and there was a very quick bowler right there) and suddenly the English screamed "unfair". Facing terrifying fast bowlers is something no average player can handle, no need for adding bodyline to the equation. The Don would always walk if he knew he was out, show some footage for evidence and I might listen. Lillian Thomson never used unfair fields against England, they didn't need to, they were faster than Larwood and Co.... and better bowlers, England and the West Indies didn't stand a chance.

SpofforthLohman

U19 12th Man
I am an Aussie but if that dude even thinks about assaulting Broad I hope Broad KO's him like Billy Slater did to that tool in Birmingham a few weeks ago, if the dude thinks he is that tough why doesn't he try belt Jarryd Waerea Hargreaves, or Sonny Bill Williams or basically any NRL rugby League player. I'd love to see that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't worry Uvers - I know how to deal with the Gorilla - you can sneak in whilst he and I reminisce about the old days