• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Matthew Hayden retire?

Should Matthew Hayden retire?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably yes. Was looking good, until that crazy shot though.
:huh:

Thought Hayden summed up the conditions reasonably well. Morkel was doing a good job of hitting the crack and providing quite a handful. Hayden took the impetus away from him with some positive intent - something that the lead and pitch conditions admittedly allowed him to undertake.

Got a ball that stayed low and came back in, and his swing altered because of it, making it look uglier than it really was.

inbox24

International Debutant
Unless Hayden retires, I think the selectors will still pick him for the ODIs and most likely the first few tests in South Africa. Shame to be honest, his test career was over a probably after India.

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
I dont think haydos should retire but the aussie selectors should probably have dropped him. Send him to state level and see what he does for QLD. If he can score runs well bring him back. If not well then goodbye hayden. Would like to see some of the more younger, promising cricketers get a go like phil hughes.

I think he still merits a one day spot for the moment as i think he'll dominate in the shorter forms. Hayden hasn't been as bad as it has been portrayed but he's been on the end of some bad luck. I'm starting to think all his good luck has run out.

Judging by Haydens wife's reaction, i think hayden may be on the verge of retiring.

thierry henry

International Coach
I feel compelled to stick up for Hayden because people are so damn unreasonable about him.

Since 2001 he has been amazingly prolific, yet even during this period there have been other times where people have been calling for him to be dropped.

I think it goes without saying that there seems to be something almost undefinable about Hayden that makes people not want to rate him- but hey, I'll say it anyway.

I don't like his batting, hell I just plain don't like Australia. I rejoice in his every failure- BUT, I firmly believes he deserves more chances, has been unlucky of late, and is still one of the best openers in the world and one of the two best in Australia. There simply isn't sufficient evidence for me to suggest otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, was interesting to see whether he raised the bat as he was coming off. Thought that would be the biggest indication, as the crowd were intimating that they thought it would be the last time that they'd see him bat.
The odd thing is that it's surely almost certainly the last time he'll bat in a Test in Australia. He's never made any claim that he wants to go beyond 2009 over here. So you'd imagine he'd have some sort of goodbye. But not neccessarily a retirement goodbye.

I guess we'll have an announcement straight after tomorrow's play if there's going to be one.

pup11

International Coach
I think this is probably it, we might have seen the last of Matthew Hayden in Australian colours, it would be bit of shame tbh because personally i think he still had in him to contribute to this Aussie test side atleast till the Ashes, he has been a real impact player for the Aussies over the years, and he still posses all those dominating shots and mentaility, but sadly for Hayden and Australia, he hasn't been able to convert any of his starts into substantial scores throughout this summer, so i think he might be shown the door, which would be a pretty tame end to the career of one the most dominating test openers in the game' history.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm happy either way. If it is his last test, I'm happy in the fact I got to see him play about 84 more than I thought he ever would. Really thought about 2 years ago he'd break the 10000 mark, but that's unlikely even if he does go through to the Ashes.

If he does continue on, I'll be happy to see him continue on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Everyone has dips of form. Yes, he is 37, so what? He has earned a little leeway. I think he'll go on until the end of the Ashes, I'd back him as a selector until then, unless he absolutely does nothing in South Africa. He at least deserves to go on the return trip.

And I don't even like Hayden. At all. But you can't deny how useful he has been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only case for him being dropped is if it's obvious his physical talents have taken a decline. Some argue they have; some argue they haven't. If they have, he has to go. If they haven't, there's currently no case for him to do so. It's as simple as that, really.

pup11

International Coach
The only case for him being dropped is if it's obvious his physical talents have taken a decline. Some argue they have; some argue they haven't. If they have, he has to go. If they haven't, there's currently no case for him to do so. It's as simple as that, really.
Physical talents as in running between the wickets, or reactions or just in terms of his intimidating batting ability, whatever it is i don't think there is any problem with that, he is striking the ball as well as i have seen him, but is just failing to convert those 20's and 30's into hundreds.

I think there is case for him to play a cautious knock like the one he played at the Oval in the 5th Ashes test in 2005 and get some runs under his belt, before he goes back playing like his aggressive dominant self.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Surely Rich you hope he continues so he drops his average down below 50..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Physical talents as in running between the wickets, or reactions or just in terms of his intimidating batting ability, whatever it is i don't think there is any problem with that, he is striking the ball as well as i have seen him, but is just failing to convert those 20's and 30's into hundreds.
Physical talents in terms of his eyesight, hand-eye coordination etc. The most basic basics of batting, in short. Those which no batsman can hope to get by without.

I don't think there's any enormous problem with that area of his game myself, nor it seems do some other posters on here, but some (Corey Taylor and howardj, for example) do. I haven't watched close to every ball of Australian Test cricket in 2008/09, so some would be better-placed to judge than I would be, but as I say, I don't yet see a problem myself.
I think there is case for him to play a cautious knock like the one he played at the Oval in the 5th Ashes test in 2005 and get some runs under his belt, before he goes back playing like his aggressive dominant self.
Seemed to me like he was trying to do that in the first-innings at The SCG. Didn't work this time. And obviously playing with caution on a pitch like this has become by the Aus second-innings was never going to work for all that long, so he had a swing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely Rich you hope he continues so he drops his average down below 50..
I hope he continues, certainly, and I hope he fails all the way through the SA tour and the England one. Not specifically below 50 BTW, his career average against Test-standard teams is already below that. Though I would like his post-2001/02 average to drop below 50 as well if poss. But I just want it all to go as low as possible, because then those who insist that career average is all that matters will thus judge him accordingly. Won't affect how I judge him, I've already long since made-up my mind there, but it might well do for others who don't take sufficient note of how an average is broken down.

In that post you just quoted I'm simply talking from the POV of someone who wants Australia to do as well as possible.

Ace♠♠♠

Cricket Spectator
No, when people say he was playing for his career today it's media induced trollop.

Getting back into form takes time, big hundred doesn't come from nowhere and Hayden has been slowly building, I was content with his 31 and 39, and I'm hoping for some big scores in the near future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:huh:

Thought Hayden summed up the conditions reasonably well. Morkel was doing a good job of hitting the crack and providing quite a handful. Hayden took the impetus away from him with some positive intent - something that the lead and pitch conditions admittedly allowed him to undertake.

Got a ball that stayed low and came back in, and his swing altered because of it, making it look uglier than it really was.
Yea, but it was an ugly shot.

Look as A MASSIVE but unbiased Hayden supporter i probably don't want him to be dropped/retire ya digg. But i am tired arguing his case, so whatever happens let it be..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yea, but it was an ugly shot.
Look as A MASSIVE but unbiased Hayden supporter i probably don't want him to be dropped/retire ya digg. But i am tired arguing his case, so whatever happens let it be..
But it would have been imperious if it went for four. It was shots such as the one which led to his demise which got him into double figures.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope he continues, certainly, and I hope he fails all the way through the SA tour and the England one. Not specifically below 50 BTW, his career average against Test-standard teams is already below that. Though I would like his post-2001/02 average to drop below 50 as well if poss. But I just want it all to go as low as possible, because then those who insist that career average is all that matters will thus judge him accordingly. Won't affect how I judge him, I've already long since made-up my mind there, but it might well do for others who don't take sufficient note of how an average is broken down.

In that post you just quoted I'm simply talking from the POV of someone who wants Australia to do as well as possible.
Hope he goes on to the Ashes and bats so well he gets 10000 test runs...:p