• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

short stuff

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
i was wondering and wondered if anyone else notice that more often than not great batsman are short....i.e lara, tendulkar, bradman and gavaskar..

on the other side of the ball, i was wondering who people considered bowl the best short 'uns, accurately, pacey and agrresively, the first name that comes up in my mind is my fave all time bowler Curtly 'talk to no man''toothy grin'Ambrose

God, he was brilliant, others are Allan Donald and the famous West Indian quartet of Garner, Marshall, Holding and err...i forgotten a name... anyway in those days of 60- over matches, id have been ****ting myself regularly with violent diarrohea if my team were to have to deal with them for 48 of those 60 overs.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chanderpaul would also be on that list as an outstanding short batsman. I think it has alot to do with balance at crease. Tendulkar and Lara display this perfectly (especially Tendulkar).

Re: Ambrose. He was and probably still is a brilliant bowler. It was a joy to watch him play. If there was any bowler I would bet on to give me 2/35 every time out in an ODI and 3 or 4 wickets per innings in a Test, it would be Ambrose. A fantastic bowler.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ask anyone of my age and above as to who was the most feared fast bowler and you will in all likelihood get just one answer - Charlie Griffith. His short ball was evil.

There was a concerted effort to get him out of the game after Contractor was hospitalised with repeated accusations of throwing - mainly orchestrated by Australia and England - because batsmen were simply terrified of him.

Star!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Chanderpaul would also be on that list as an outstanding short batsman.
Sorry, but this is a list of all time greats (Tendulkar, Bradman, Gavaskar) - putting Chanderpaul there doesn't really work.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Im short..but no wher close to even a good batsmen.,. im a good lower order night watchmen..

But im a good off spinner that i cant help but saying..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The list being outstanding short batsmen.
Being outstanding batsmen of all time who happened to be short in stature.

Chanderpaul qualifies as short, but not as outstanding.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Being outstanding batsmen of all time who happened to be short in stature.

Chanderpaul qualifies as short, but not as outstanding.
The list that I was referring to (I repeat- I) is one of outstanding short batsmen- not of all-time. Chanderpaul is certainly one of the outstanding batsmen of modern day cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
add Mark Waugh to that list, and Darryl Cullinan (although not outstanding are tiny)

Im quite tall, and find its a definite disadvantage when batting, and an advantage when bowling.. When batting it just seems to take longer to get into stroke playing positions, especially if you recieve a yorker...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The list that I was referring to (I repeat- I) is one of outstanding short batsmen- not of all-time. Chanderpaul is certainly one of the outstanding batsmen of modern day cricket.

add punter then:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

I most definitely agree :)