• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shocka!

shaka

International Regular
In the league I play in (not a high grade) all teams give anything down leg as a wide.

Swervy

International Captain
my thing about LBW's in league cricket (in the standard I play in anyway) is that most of us players have been at work all week,and use a Saturday afternoon having fun playing cricket whilst still being quite competitive.So you pay your fiver for the game(its the only way a club like ours can survive) (quite a big chunk goes to the umpire as well)..and you want to contribute to te team and some trigger happy umpire can just ruin it for you..and then thats it for for the week..thats what really hacks me off.

LBW's in these league should only be given if absolute plumb as far as I am concerned, just for the sake of enjoyment for the players concerned

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I've never had any majorly bad decisions as a batsman, but as a keeper the umpires have made some shockers when it comes to balls carrying

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
The worst decision Ive had was when I was about 9 or so. I was batting no.4 I think and second ball I faced went for a sweep down the leg side. I missed completely, nobody appealed for anything then I turned around and saw the umpire (opposition coach) with his finger up. I thought he was telling a fielder to move but it turned out he'd given me out :@

More recently in a school game I was run out without facing a ball - firstly the wicketkeeper knocked the bails off with his glove, then he dropped the ball and anyway I was home by about a metre, even my foot was in the crease. That umpire was the worst Ive ever seen, he was giving our right handed batsmen out LBW to a guy bowling right arm around the wicket.

Ive never had any shockers go my way though bowling or batting

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
One time, i was playing in a 6-a-side match within my club but it was terribly competitive. each side faces only five overs and so everyone bowls one over [apart from the WK] . My fast delivery went don leg and as i am quite quick for an U-16 it was 5 wides. i got hit for 4 off the next 2 deliveries[ i don't really get hit that many 4s coz of my pace].

the i found my line and bowled a rank half-volley on middle. the batsman was one of the best in the club but i managed to get past his bat but not past his back leg. the ball hit him 1/2 way up on his back leg and it wasn't given out. the umpire was another one of the better batsmen in the club so he was probably biased to the batsman.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Swervy said:
my thing about LBW's in league cricket (in the standard I play in anyway) is that most of us players have been at work all week,and use a Saturday afternoon having fun playing cricket whilst still being quite competitive.So you pay your fiver for the game(its the only way a club like ours can survive) (quite a big chunk goes to the umpire as well)..and you want to contribute to te team and some trigger happy umpire can just ruin it for you..and then thats it for for the week..thats what really hacks me off.

LBW's in these league should only be given if absolute plumb as far as I am concerned, just for the sake of enjoyment for the players concerned
Remember bowlers have to have fun, too. 8-)

cbuts

International Debutant
being left handed i suffer from umpires not knowing the pitched outside leg rule. last season i had a bitch of a time with decions. bout 7 or 8 shockers. 3 times i was given out caught behind when i didnt touch it. and aobut 5 lbws that pitched outside leg. )i take stance on leg stump so i usually have a very good idea if it pitches outside leg). once the umpire told me he gave me out cos the whole team appeled, "so therefore it must be out" it was alright though the next week he was umpiring again, i nicked it to the keepr, only he appealed so, according to his theory i was not out.

i usually walk but i thought **** it, he gave me out last time when i wasnt, lets see if i can get even here. another umpire told me, whne i had played and missed, he gave me out cuaght behind cos i looked behind me. i mean WTF

only been triggered once this season, which im pleased about. was sat just gone. fresh off a match winning 96, i was facing an off spinner (im left handed) pitched bout half a metre outside leg, was pretty short to. i tried to pull it, missed it. it struck the top of my thigh pad, and up went the finnger. not only did it pitch outside leg, i dont think it turned enough to strike the stumps anyway, and even if it had, it was a good 6 inches to high!

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
in an interschool game in the first 6 matches i had been dismissed twice and had an average of 200 odd runs!! in the seventh and last game i was competing for the best batsman trophy and had gotten off 2 a flying start with 15 off 5 deliveries with 3 continuous boundaries.. the bowler had just bowled one medium-pace delivery .. i cover drove it for 4.. next ball he started bowling leg spin and bowled a full toss which i hit 2 square leg for four.. then a pitched up half volley which i hit straight behind his head for 4.. he returns to medium-pace.. bowls a ball into my stomach... appeals.. n im out LBW!!...
felt like killin the umipire there!!

biased indian

International Coach
chekmeout said:
in an interschool game in the first 6 matches i had been dismissed twice and had an average of 200 odd runs!! in the seventh and last game i was competing for the best batsman trophy and had gotten off 2 a flying start with 15 off 5 deliveries with 3 continuous boundaries.. the bowler had just bowled one medium-pace delivery .. i cover drove it for 4.. next ball he started bowling leg spin and bowled a full toss which i hit 2 square leg for four.. then a pitched up half volley which i hit straight behind his head for 4.. he returns to medium-pace.. bowls a ball into my stomach... appeals.. n im out LBW!!...
felt like killin the umipire there!!
Welcome mate??

u must have fel really bad

hindsy

Cricket Spectator
In an u/14 reps match i was on 46 and the ball pitched 15cm outside off stump, i half fended at the ball - missed it by a mile and got given out...
although i had a gooden go my way this yr, only last week actually at grade... the bowler put a beauty in - pitches middle and nips away, healthy eadge through to the keeper (although no deflection) - i just looked down the pitch at the umpire and got given not out! I was very happy at that :)

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
biased indian said:
Welcome mate??

u must have fel really bad
well initially i did.. but then i still won the best batsman trophy.. turns out my new 140 odd average was gud enough!! :D :D

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My first game in the UK against the illustrious Exeter St James I struck the batsman first ball of the match in front of middle about two inches above his ankle on the back pad as he was playing back to a half-volley (No, I'm not sure why either - but it did move me to enquire as to whether he'd just been shown which end of the bat to hold before coming out to bat) and the umpire gave him not out. As it was first ball in England I didn't make any fuss, but it was the umpires explanation of "pitched outside the line, going down leg.....whatever" that left me feeling a little perplexed.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh, and in a game here at home I was given out caught behind when one of the slips clicked his fingers as I played and missed for the hundredth time.