• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Malik, Overrated?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Malik is overrated as a captain and underrated as a batsman. He is not a leader, he never will be.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Malik has a poor FC record because he started playing as a bowler otherwise he would've been averaging between 35 to 40.
Agreed, but is averaging 35 to 40 in first class cricket really good enough for a test batsman? Let alone one whose place is guaranteed...

Agreed, but is averaging 35 to 40 in first class cricket really good enough for a test batsman? Let alone one whose place is guaranteed...
There have been many players who didn't have good FC records until they cemented their place in the test teams.Trescothick,Vaughan,Sarwan are the ones that come to my mind atm but there are number of such players.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
David Gower never averaged above 40 in First Class Cricket if you take away his Test Record yet he played well over a hundred Tests and no one has ever been churlish enough to say he wasn't good enough.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if it has been mentioned - but he reminds me a lot of Nathan Adcock in the way he has been appointed captain without ever securing his spot in the side.

Was a poor choice.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IIRC the majority of people were in favour of Malik's appointment as captain, since Younis Khan did not want the job and Mohammad Yousuf was away on ICL duty at the time. Now it seems everybody has changed their minds and done a pretty big U-turn. However, since no other players are willing to commit themselves to the captaincy, it seem as though he will retain it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm a fan of Shoaib Malik, esp the way he plays spinners, but I feel his average of 28 in FC and he's the captain is just a joke. Good ODI player, but I don't think he'll ever have success in tests, esp against fast bowlers. I really hope he gets stripped of his captaincy, and someone like Salman Butt or Misbah is made the captain.
Misbah-ul-Haq who has been incredibly poor in international cricket since before the Twenty20 World Cup? Salman Butt who is one of the most talented openers in Pakistan, but has yet to really secure his spot with consistent performances?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
David Gower never averaged above 40 in First Class Cricket if you take away his Test Record yet he played well over a hundred Tests and no one has ever been churlish enough to say he wasn't good enough.
David Gower was a rare exception, though, people like him who have the ability to raise themselves for Tests and not domestic-First-Class cricket are exceptionally unusual. In Australia, Gower might never be picked for a single Test.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm a fan of Shoaib Malik, esp the way he plays spinners, but I feel his average of 28 in FC and he's the captain is just a joke. Good ODI player, but I don't think he'll ever have success in tests, esp against fast bowlers. I really hope he gets stripped of his captaincy, and someone like Salman Butt or Misbah is made the captain.
harsh