• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock vs Jacques Kallis

The Better Cricketer

• Kallis

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • Pollock

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

Dendarii

International Debutant
Has South Africa produced the most good all rounders in cricket history?

Faulkner
Pollock S
Procter
Kallis
Klusener
Rice
Barlow
McMillan

Philander, Pollock P, and Cronje were pretty handy too without being full blown ARs
Trevor Goddard as well. And we did produce Tony Greig even if he never played for South Africa.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Its all situational, imagine a batting line up like India's with batsmen like Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Ganguly, Gambhir, Dhoni, but they lacked a great bowler with such a good average and still handy with bat like Pollock -- such a mentioned team would pick Pollock over Kallis any day of the week if given an opportunity, you add Pollock to them and suddenly it's a huge boost to the outlook of the team at least on papers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If Jansen's batting kicks on he could be another allrounder. He's young and the basic batting ingredients look to be there, although his height and frail build may lead to some bowling injuries.

subshakerz

International Coach
No I reckon they needed a steady batsman who could stay calm in a crazy Pakistani batting collapse. Even with the likes of YK and Misbah they would still have random collapses.
Pakistan had Younis, Inzi and Yousuf in the 2000s and then Misbah, Azhar, Babar later. But they havent produced a pacer who has taken 200 wickets since the 2Ws retired.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan had Younis, Inzi and Yousuf in the 2000s and then Misbah, Azhar, Babar later. But they havent produced a pacer who has taken 200 wickets since the 2Ws retired.
They would still collapse from anywhere despite that and you've still had some superb pacers though: Shoaib, Asif, Amir (what could've been?), Abbas, and Shaheen. Ironically Pollock's batting (good enough to bat 7 if required) could've really helped too.

Himannv

International Coach
How good do you all rate Pollock's batting? Better than Kallis' bowling?
Bit strange to compare bowling with batting but yes, I think Pollock was better. Watched a clip of him bowling a couple of days back and I was actually taken aback by how good he was. Somewhat quicker than what I remembered and moving the ball quite effortlessly. I thought he was excellent.

subshakerz

International Coach
Bit strange to compare bowling with batting but yes, I think Pollock was better. Watched a clip of him bowling a couple of days back and I was actually taken aback by how good he was. Somewhat quicker than what I remembered and moving the ball quite effortlessly. I thought he was excellent.
I was asking the opposite actually.

subshakerz

International Coach
Oh right. I have time for Pollock's batting and I think it was useful, particularly in ODIs. If Kallis didn't bowl at all, it would have made no difference to his team.
Thats a big claim. He took 1.5 wickets a test and bowled 10 overs an innings, which is something. But I do think they overstate his impact, I think Sobers did a lot more bowling-wise.

Pollock's batting is good in numbers but dont recall many important knocks.