• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Nope, and it's not fair to judge that he will or won't be likely to be good\bad on ODIs.
Yes but its fair to judge that he will or won't be good in Tests based on his FC record, which is what we (most of us) are doing.

watsons one play in australia that i trulyt dislike. he scores his runs way toooooo slow. look at the australia a vs zimbabwe matches and bowls like a poofter. he hasnt had success in the one day side and if anyone should get into either australian team it should be murray goodwin. just look at his record this season

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
pontingrulz said:
watsons one play in australia that i trulyt dislike. he scores his runs way toooooo slow.
Tell that to the South Africa A attack whom he blasted for 100 of 90-something balls in a first-class game on tour there.

He can certainly hit when he needs to, but is very effective at doggedly fighting with the bat, which may not be pretty, but is needed by the team.

pontingrulz said:
watsons one play in australia that i trulyt dislike. he scores his runs way toooooo slow. look at the australia a vs zimbabwe matches and bowls like a poofter. he hasnt had success in the one day side and if anyone should get into either australian team it should be murray goodwin. just look at his record this season
What does a poofter bowl like?

Why Murray Goodwin?

What makes you think that Watto can't hit when he needs to and score quickly? He's huge. And his technique is great. To me, that means he can hit and score quickly.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Watson hardly scores that slow, he was out of form at the start of teh sumemr from memor but he scores his runs reasonably quickly most of the time, even so - there is 5 days in a test match, you dont need to be like Gilly, although its good if you are.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
That average is somewhat inflated by about half of his knocks being not-outs!
Indeed but I think people read way to much into not out's I mean why critersize a player for not getting out!

Who is to say he could not have had a better avrage with less not out's?? I remember a 47* and three scores in the mid 30* were he could well have made some fairly substancial scores if he had the chance.

Beven has alot of not out's but no one doubts his class same with Steven Waugh in test cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Who is to say he could not have had a better avrage with less not out's??
To have a better average in that scenario he would have to score more than 30 runs extra for every innings he would be dismissed in - that to me appears very unlikely.

An average of 30 which is boosted by so many not outs is not a true average.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
To have a better average in that scenario he would have to score more than 30 runs extra for every innings he would be dismissed in - that to me appears very unlikely.

An average of 30 which is boosted by so many not outs is not a true average.
Well I can think of four time's when I would have backed him to make quite a decent score if he had the time.

Little not out 10,15's and 20s certainly help the avrage but once somone is well set and over 35* it's probably not doing him any good given there is a good chance he would convert that sort of start into a bigger score.

The great man picking up 2/15 off 6 today against the Vics. His two wickets were Hodge and Elliott and was the catalyst for crippling Victoria.

Can't wait until he bats :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
How they make the runs, not necessarily how many runs they make.
Oh well, obviously. I thought your were referring to some other form of the game you had made up in your head.
Although personally, I think this applies more in one-day cricket. Unless you're constantly dropped or something in four-day cricket or have a faulty technique, if your making the runs your making the runs, its really pretty simple.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Well I can think of four time's when I would have backed him to make quite a decent score if he had the time.
Which innings are those - he's not played that many, so it won't be hard to tell us.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Linda said:
Unless you're constantly dropped or something in four-day cricket or have a faulty technique, if your making the runs your making the runs, its really pretty simple.
Not simple - look at some of the biggest English failures in recent times - they've scored a lot of runs in FC cricket.