• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

shahid afridi question

deeps

International 12th Man
Does anyone know what his highest score without hittin a six is in tests and one dayers?

me and a friend were talkin and we think that today, his 29 must b his highest score without hittin a six!?

anyone know the answer?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the 40 odd he made at Delhi when Kumble got the perfect 10 should be his highest without a six in tests. I don't think he hit a six then.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Interesting question. Personally I love attacking batsmen - Sehwag, Kemp, Pietersen but geez Afridi goes overboard.

I mean all these batsmen try and score around 8 runs an over.. Afridi tries to score 25 runs every over!!

biased indian

International Coach
deeps said:
Does anyone know what his highest score without hittin a six is in tests and one dayers?

me and a friend were talkin and we think that today, his 29 must b his highest score without hittin a six!?

anyone know the answer?
i think it the 46 he scored aganist Aus in the recent series

Shahid Afridi run out (Martyn) 46 83 52 9 0

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interestingly, his highest ODI knock without a six also came at the SCG.

In January 1997, he made 53 against the West Indies in the first final of the C&U Series, in an innings described like this... "Shahid Afridi and Ijaz Ahmed batted sensibly and attractively to add 53 runs for the third wicket. Afridi reached to his third fifty in one-day games with 8 fours and in only 50 deliveries before being caught at long off by Courtney Walsh off Ian Bishop for 53."

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:

In January 1997, he made 53 against the West Indies in the first final of the C&U Series, in an innings described like this... "Shahid Afridi and Ijaz Ahmed batted sensibly and attractively to add 53 runs for the third wicket. Afridi reached to his third fifty in one-day games with 8 fours and in only 50 deliveries before being caught at long off by Courtney Walsh off Ian Bishop for 53."
one reason could be that they have bigger boundries in Aus compared to whats there in sub continent

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

At least he was trying to right the wrong! ;)

deeps

International 12th Man
biased indian said:
one reason could be that they have bigger boundries in Aus compared to whats there in sub continent
well, i dunno if i'm correct, but the WACA ground is as big, if not bigger than the SCG, and yet he hit a few sixes there! interesting he doesnt hit many sixes at theSCG, but he seems to play more sensible cricket.

2 of his more mellow mature knocks have come at the SCG, and believe me, there isn't many of these knocks to his name

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

deeps said:

anyone know the answer?
i dunno a guess is in sydney earlier this when he made 40 odd agaitns australia

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Afridi is a legend! Bowling quite well at the mo as well. Haha 45... how predictable! :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chekmeout said:
Interesting question. Personally I love attacking batsmen - Sehwag, Kemp, Pietersen but geez Afridi goes overboard.

I mean all these batsmen try and score around 8 runs an over.. Afridi tries to score 25 runs every over!!
Never used to... always used to be just a good strokeplaying batsman.
But since June 2002 he's just been disregarding his ability and slogging... real shame, real waste.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Chappell recently stated that by breaking the record for the quickest 100 so early in his career, it may actually have damaged his batting. Now, everyone expects him to come out and blast from ball one rather than build an innings.

Given that his test average is 33, imagine what it could be if he didnt throw his wicket away 90% of the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Ian Chappell recently stated that by breaking the record for the quickest 100 so early in his career, it may actually have damaged his batting. Now, everyone expects him to come out and blast from ball one rather than build an innings.
I hardly see that that was the cause of the problems, as it happened in 1996; he was developing nicely until 2002, then the problems with him seeming to be proud of being a slogger started.