• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Serious Ideas to Re-Invigorate Test Cricket

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grant all nations test status.

It isn't sacred, and the stats dilution argument is for dweebs. When talking rugby union no one looks at the top try scorers and goes BUT THEY SCORED 5 AGAINST CANADA AND HE SCORED 3 AGAINST NAMIBIA SO INVALID they just look at performances in context.

One advantage I can immediately think of is it would open the door to get regular game time if you didn't have to fly halfway across the world for most games, and it would provide more opportunities for both local associate players and foreign ring ins to get some paid hours on the field. The Dutch could play a test against the poms, a series in Ireland etc and it would be a cheaper entry into test cricket than if they were granted test status tomorrow and marched off to Bangladesh or wherever.
Yeah we already do this in cricket. No one thinks RtD was the GOAT ODI batsman, or that Voges > Sachin. And everyone knows that Sri Lankan cricketers stats from 1992 to 2010 don't count and need to be adjusted because they played mostly against minnows and on doctored home pitches that favoured their batsmen but also their spin bowlers for some reason

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think this is required reading - India, Australia and England boards should do more for Test cricket - Johnny Grave

Bottom line is the revenue model needs to change or these ideas are all pointless.
I wont even say it has to change much. Back in the original Pig 3 version, they spoke of something called a test match fund or corpus they were gonna create to help pay teams to play tests alone. If they do that properly, even that should suffice. I understand the issues with basically giving out handouts given how corrupt almost all cricket boards are, including CWI. But surely they can figure out a way to pay for the test teams alone where its not sustainable.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Declare the BCCI an international criminal and terrorist organisation with interpol

Scale back fines and demerits for on-field confrontations.

Allow ball tampering and particularly the de-restriction of the use of any bodily fluids on the ball. I'm talking spit, drool, urine, semen, sweat - whatever greases that leather.

Remove the ICC elite panel of umpires to save revenue and replace with on-field robots which will eliminate poor decision making on field, reduce time lost through DRS which can be eliminated entirely and increase overrates on a daily basis.

The robot replacement umpires can be equipped with drinkholders like in your Camry and compartments for batsmen to store replacement gloves - reduce the presence of 12th man delays on the field - can even have pool cue style racks in the back for replacement bats.

I'm actually dead serious on the last two points btw and you can't convince me that the same flawed species that decided Hitler should be elected democratically should be in charge of a cricket field.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Willing to even do a concept drawing. Many of you will know I've been supporting the idea of dehumanising cricket for years.

James

Cricket Web Owner
In my opinion, split Test cricket into 3 divisions with promotion/relegation (Australia/India/England/South Africa | NZ, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies | Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland).

Silver Silva

International Debutant
First Class cricket must not have any limits on the amount of foreign players they can use in an XI , that way smaller teams can have players playing in better systems around the world and be better players.

TheJediBrah

First Class cricket must not have any limits on the amount of foreign players they can use in an XI , that way smaller teams can have players playing in better systems around the world and be better players.
Why would any decent overseas players want to play in the First Class competition of a "smaller team" though? Only reason it works in County Cricket is there is decent money involved. Can't imagine Zimbabwe domestic cricket being able to entice many genuinely good overseas players

ataraxia

International Coach
Why would any decent overseas players want to play in the First Class competition of a "smaller team" though? Only reason it works in County Cricket is there is decent money involved. Can't imagine Zimbabwe domestic cricket being able to entice many genuinely good overseas players
Funny you say that as a few Poms do play Zimbabwe domestix; it's the only FC competition that does attract overseas players apart from the CC, I think.

TheJediBrah

In all seriousness though are they actually any good, or "decent" was the word I used? The point of having overseas players in your first-class comp is they are generally a higher standard and significantly strengthen the competition, which is what happens in County Cricket. Doesn't really count if it's a bunch of English rejects (imagine how bad they would have to be) who barely hold a regular spot in County cricket and are just taking up a spot a local could have played in

cnerd123

likes this
1) Better stadium experience for spectators - you can get more bums on seats with nicer facilities, food and drink options, other entertainment accessible around the venue during the day

2) Better digital content around Test matches - curated highlights, promos, reels and tik toks of exciting/funny moments, etc

3) Make watching Tests possible at every corner of the globe. If a broadcaster won't carry it in a region, make it free to watch online

4) Better scheduling - centered around public holidays, during the best weather, start matches only on Thursdays or Fridays

5) Open up Tests globally. Let some rich Indian millionaires fulfil their fantasy of being Test cricketers by organising Bhutan vs Uzbekistan in the middle of nowhere. But more seriously, let Associates that have a passionate administration organise one-off Tests with their neighbours so that they can help expose their locals to the format, potentially creating new fans and growing the market for it.

Ofc all of these ideas require some sort of long-term vision and leadership and some capital investment, all of which probably won't happen as long as profit is the defining factor that drives cricket administration. Ah well.

Ali TT

International Debutant
On the old forum I inhabited we had quite a lot of discussion about scheduling first class cricket in England, especially as most days of play are usually during the week when only the retired and unemployed can go. However, at the weekend there are lots of competing interests for the other demographics, eg other sports, kids activities, cultural things, seeing friends and families, or just doing work around the house, that means they wouldn't necessarily jump at the chance of going to a cricket game.

England usually fills out our test match grounds midweek, so think really it's a wider cultural issue for other countries than just scheduling. I don't know how much entrance to test cricket costs elsewhere but in the Caribbean or SL they should probably make it free for locals (and continue charging the BA through the nose).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah we already do this in cricket. No one thinks RtD was the GOAT ODI batsman, or that Voges > Sachin. And everyone knows that Sri Lankan cricketers stats from 1992 to 2010 don't count and need to be adjusted because they played mostly against minnows and on doctored home pitches that favoured their batsmen but also their spin bowlers for some reason
GOAT ODI allrounder imo

Isura

U19 Captain
Minimum 75 overs a day and maximum 80 overs. Fielding team at end of day gets to decide if they want to bowl the extra 5 overs. This 3rd session that always goes like 3 hrs is not good for the game

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Fully white clothing (or creams)

No advertising on clothes or the playing field

No music played between overs, minimal ground announcements. No PA advertising