• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Serious Ideas to Re-Invigorate Test Cricket

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. T90. A maximum 4 day test format where each team gets a maximum of 90 overs x 2 to make their runs. So a team that's 5 down in the 70th would need to accelerate to make as many runs in the last 20, complicated by the new ball at the 80th (though maybe brought forward to the 70th to keep things spicy). Bowlers get a maximum of 20 overs.

2. Test XXII. Rather than fielding 11 players, you get 22, an XI for each innings that can play in either order i.e. the XI that bats doesn't have to bowl/field straight away after their innings is completed. Do you play no spinners in XI #1 but 3 in XI #2 as you expect the pitch to deteriorate later on? Strategy would be interesting. Also a lot fairer to fringe players, letting everyone get a go which is just nice imo.

3. Depth based boundaries for dingers. T20s are enticing because of the six boshing factor and big dingers. An artificial boundary beyond the boundary should be implemented using space mapping technology so that when a batsmen puts one deep into the stands they get a run multiplier to increase their score, encouraging bigger hits which are more entertaining, that could also see a side quickly dig themselves out of trouble with a shot for 23 runs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Test cricket is fine...especially if 50-over cricket is doomed to failure (which it shouldn't)

I like the ideas but all three of those are too far removed from the game as it is, it becomes a new format and you lose the real essence of the game, its ties to history with stats etc.

NZTailender

Test cricket is fine...especially if 50-over cricket is doomed to failure (which it shouldn't)

I like the ideas but all three of those are too far removed from the game as it is, it becomes a new format and you lose the real essence of the game, its ties to history with stats etc.
Test cricket is in danger of going stale, I'm taking it to strange new places

I think limitless overs would be great. Imagine Neil Wagner bowling 100 deliveries in a row from the same end. He'd dig a trench in the pitch.

NZTailender

Standardised bats. If the bowlers can only use one brand of ball per game then so should the batsmen in one bat model. The bat is chosen by the loser of the toss.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even distribution of ICC revenues, enabling WI etc to pay bigger central contracts (though they'd probably waste it)
Test fund
Cheaper tickets and better marketing to stimulate attendance - e.g. Indian venues should be forced to sell more single-day tickets
Better venues, especially in Asia
Friday starts, maybe Thursday, but definitely not earlier
Better overall governance (ha, in a million years)
Maximise revenue-producing viewing options globally
Re-establish Intercontinental Cup

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bring in a rule allowing fielders to rugby tackle batters when attempting to complete a run
Run in tackles to be allowed from players/teams not actually involved in the match in question imo.

"Bah gawd, Kohli has been robbed of his century against Pakistan after being run out after interference from Stuart Broad, that sonofabitch"

Also, all championships and so on should also be defended on an ad hoc, as and when, basis, rather than just during scheduled competitions. Money in the bank cash ins to be allowed and encouraged.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Even distribution of ICC revenues, enabling WI etc to pay bigger central contracts (though they'd probably waste it)
Test fund
Cheaper tickets and better marketing to stimulate attendance - e.g. Indian venues should be forced to sell more single-day tickets
Better venues, especially in Asia
Friday starts, maybe Thursday, but definitely not earlier
Better overall governance (ha, in a million years)
Maximise revenue-producing viewing options globally
Re-establish Intercontinental Cup
Boring!!!

Think outside the box.

Like...break a box - the innings is finished. All remaining batsmen are out.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Test cricket is going to be fine..... From a Corporative perspective, a Test match offers a much larger window for advertisements than possible in T20s. So, if a Test match even have the one-tenth of viewership of a T20 match, the ad revenue could still be wider.