• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Final 1 - New Zealand v England (30th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meridio

International Regular
The 53rd ranked T20i player did amazingly there with the bat 8-)

(No one tell Kiwiviktor but Root was actually ranked 12th prior to this innings anyway).
Obviously we should've bowled 6th-ranked bowler Milne at him. Clearly that's where we lost the game. Poor tactics.

Niall

International Coach
So how many of the players who have reached the T20 final in India have been bought for IPL?

Genuine question as I don't follow it.
Not many although to be fair quite a few did not put themselves for auction. Butter, Morgan and Billings are the only ones I can think off who were bought.

Buttler according to his coach Ponting is their as a back up batsman:laugh:

that is the list of all the sold and unsold players this year.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2016/content/story/969473.html

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Only former champions left now, so on Sunday one team will become the first to win a second championship after a remarkable run of five different teams winning the first five.

Meridio

International Regular
Looking back, I think most of us had identified our middle order as a weakness prior to the tournament. We'd just been lucky in a way that our bowlers had been able to patch over that weakness, partly because the pitches we'd played on had suited them so much. It's not just Ronchi being **** either, it's Anderson and Taylor being very one-dimensional hitters - they want the ball in their arc, and if it's not there they don't have many other options - and Elliott and Santner being more nudge-and-nurdle types, who need to have been in for a while before they can really hit. Sure, we would've wanted one of Williamson or Munro to really go on, but they're not the guys who cost us; they'd set a near-perfect platform that was ruined by the rest.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Oh, and I understand hindsight is 20/20, but...

I think it's not so much the attack but the bowling order that will highlight any England weakness against spin. Make the openers try to hit Santner early on against the turn. Roy in particular loves pace on the ball.

vs Jason Roy in the powerplay this tournament:

Pace 69 (40)
Spin 15 (18)
...there was plenty of foresight on this one

LightningStrike

U19 Debutant
It's seriously amazing to see England in the final.

After being smashed by Windies and then the bowling slaughtered against SA leaving them with 230 to win.............who would have thought they'd be here now in the final?

That's some come back.... and I guess if you get to a final you have a chance of winning it.

91Jmay

International Coach
NZ were so poor with the bat final 5 overs. No inventiveness at all, just stood still in their creases and hoped it was a bad ball. No scopes, no moving around. Roy against Santner in first over was perfect example of getting them to bowl where you want.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Looking back, I think most of us had identified our middle order as a weakness prior to the tournament. We'd just been lucky in a way that our bowlers had been able to patch over that weakness, partly because the pitches we'd played on had suited them so much. It's not just Ronchi being **** either, it's Anderson and Taylor being very one-dimensional hitters - they want the ball in their arc, and if it's not there they don't have many other options - and Elliott and Santner being more nudge-and-nurdle types, who need to have been in for a while before they can really hit. Sure, we would've wanted one of Williamson or Munro to really go on, but they're not the guys who cost us; they'd set a near-perfect platform that was ruined by the rest.
Yup, this pretty much sums it up. Adapting well in the group stages was one thing but needed 180+ to bring the spinners into the game today.

Corey at 4, just wasn't sold on it. Needs to work on his accumulating game a lot more. Ironically, some game time with the Mumbai Indians might provide it. Taylor, I don't know, coming out and slogging from ball one is just not his game. Munro actually impressed me this tournament even if he tended to throw away his starts. Bowling gets a big tick, they didn't have the runs to play with today.

Well done to England, genuinely likeable side at the moment. Will still be hoping for the Windies to win from this point because #anyoneButTheBigThree

Stapel

International Regular
It's seriously amazing to see England in the final.

After being smashed by Windies and then the bowling slaughtered against SA leaving them with 230 to win.............who would have thought they'd be here now in the final?

That's some come back.... and I guess if you get to a final you have a chance of winning it.
One might view it differently: Not even a 230 target is too much for England. Only the odd Gayle Storm can stop them. Hence clear favourites. But otherwise yeah. Innings break vs SA probably was a fine moment to bet a few quid on England to make it to the final.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think England will beat the kiwis, English batting is slightly better this tournament and the bowling is evenly matched
santner and sodhi have been going great guns tbf but i expect them to trip up about now. Their run has been ridiculous and failure has to be around the corner surely. I don't think this tournament has been an accurate reflection of their real quality. I might get egg in my face in about a year's time or so but currently i stick by my assessment :p

I had thought so.

Didn't watch the match but Santner and Sodhi still among the wickets even if somewhat expensive than their usual selves. Somewhat right

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, not even close. That's really disappointing to wake up to.

But well done England. :) Well deserved, and good luck in the final.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah always thought if it was a batsman's wicket they would win, we needed a turner.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I've never been a big fan of Twenty20 cricket, but I have to say I enjoyed that match more than any in this present World Cup.

Congratulations to England! The clear better team won!

91Jmay

International Coach
Buttler averaging 51 and striking at 158 now at this WC. wafg.

Jordan/Willey the surprise players though.

36 overs 13 wickets 291 runs 8.1 RPO (bowling in PP and at death)

Very solid partnership.