• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag vs Sangakkara - as batsman

Who is the better bat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anil1405

International Captain
But till 2010, people were picking Sehwag. Tells you all you need to know about the overrating of Sanga post retirement.
Wouldn't call it overrating but it does tell us two things.

Sanga took his game to new heights in the last five years of his career.

But the fact that Sehwag has more votes than him shows that sanga was easily a tier (and maybe two) below the best batsmen at that time.

Based on one of the criteria that we judge players by i.e. spread of their performance across career he is right down in the list.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't call it overrating but it does tell us two things.

Sanga took his game to new heights in the last five years of his career.

But the fact that Sehwag has more votes than him shows that sanga was easily a tier (and maybe two) below the best batsmen at that time.

Based on one of the criteria that we judge players by i.e. spread of their performance across career he is right down in the list.
More like he took his game to new heights over the last 10 years of his 15 year career. It was fair not to rate him over Sehwag when he’d only be performing at the top level for 5-6 years.

Flem274*

123/5
People are also allowed to change their opinions.

It's like how back in 2017* or so you'd be in the minority to rate Root over Kohli, but things have changed and that's a reasonable opinion now.

*unsure of exact dates but you get the point.

anil1405

International Captain
More like he took his game to new heights over the last 10 years of his 15 year career. It was fair not to rate him over Sehwag when he’d only be performing at the top level for 5-6 years.
Fair enough.

5-6 years into their careers the likes of Sachin, Lara, Kallis, Dravid were all rated highly. And they pretty much maintained their standards throughout their careers.

When it comes to this thread I agree Sanga > Sehwag... but overall I feel Sanga gets a bit overrated based on the other thread where some posters have rated him much better than Kallis and Dravid.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think it's a sensible comparison because neither will be competing against the other for a spot in a side.

Sehwag was the rarer cricketer, but Sangakkara trumps him by being the spine of a batting order you can bank on everywhere.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn’t have anything to do with his last 5 years of batting post this thread :whistling

44 tests, 4487 runs @ 58.27, 15 tons
5377A31B-3C2D-4912-B034-EA415789FEB0.jpeg

He really took his game to the next level by smashing 5 tons in 7 innings against Bangers including a triple ton. And kept playing his favourite opponent Pakistan... Not surprised at all what he did in the last 5 years. Truly overrated!