• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag retires

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
"Don't be a dick in retirement threads" is an unwritten rule. You might have known that if you hadn't spent large period of the last 5 years banned from this forum for being a dick.
I was not banned from this forum for 5 years.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"Don't be a dick in retirement threads" is an unwritten rule. You might have known that if you hadn't spent large period of the last 5 years banned from this forum for being a dick.
We've been enforcing "don't be a dick in retirement threads" since, oooh, Ponting? I think that's the one where there was a massive trolling ****-fight and Spark put an end to it. A great moment in the evolution of CW moderation, that.

I can only assume that Aussie has spend the last five years asleep, really. So much 2009-style posting.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Arguably the most dangerous batsman ever when he got going. I didn't follow Indian cricket that close but whenever they tended to drop him out of the side I perceived it to be a lack of faith, unnecessarily (I'm probably wrong). When you have such a batsman he's going to be streaky but when he does come off he's halfway got you to a win. Brilliant to watch. I have a special affinity for players that move beyond the realms people think are possible - even if they crash and burn at the end.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
We've been enforcing "don't be a dick in retirement threads" since, oooh, Ponting? I think that's the one where there was a massive trolling ****-fight and Spark put an end to it. A great moment in the evolution of CW moderation, that.

I can only assume that Aussie has spend the last five years asleep, really. So much 2009-style posting.
Well up until 2 days ago, I honestly have not checked this website forum in about 5-6 years yes. That's why i asked the question if its a rule, because as i said I know from my 2005-2010 days on this site a retirement thread one could speak on anything. So if that what moderators enforce now, that's fine.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, just found the thread. Which is painful, because I had to endure the "is the Ricky Ponting Tribute thread, posted as he retires, actually a retirement thread" piece of legal 'genius' from some poor little oppressed poster who was being a dick and got called on it. Anyway, a few relevant posts as a refresher of how retirement threads work. First, Daemon nails the point on the head:

Nah, look I think it's best to just drop it mate. It's a retirement thread, and it's plain as day that criticizing the player in an aggressive manner is just going to get reactions and derail the whole thing. Just walk away and spare it for another time/thread.
Now, the establishment of the moderation directive:

This isn't the "Ponting Tribute Thread Discussion Thread" either, guys. Keep it on topic. Leave a tribute, or don't post.

If you want to make borderline troll posts about how much you hated the guy or argue about him then there are other Ponting threads around for you to do that.

If you have an issue with the moderation here - including but not limited to this post - then email the mods, or start a thread in SD.

Any posts fit into either of those two categories will be copping eight point infractions from here on.
For the sake of interpretation, 'FTB' as a pejorative definitely classes as 'borderline troll' posting. Also, key point -- if you want to discuss if Sehwag was a FTB or not, have that chat in one of the many "Was Sehwag a FTB"-style threads. Not a retirement thread.

It's not as if there was a problem with people saying that he wasn't their favourite player or they didn't like them. Plenty of people have done that in this thread without issue.

It's the "good riddance" type posts which are really just not on. They'll simply rile people up and sour the one chance people get to post in this manner about him.
So yeah, tl;dr don't be a dick.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Far more cultured response thanks. Because I know in CW history retirement threads have had such arguments and as you said yourself, I made it clear in the post I made whether people agree with my view on Sehwag or that I wasn't looking for an argument.

I have done the Sehwag debates to the death on CW won the arguments, his career ending failures backed up my view so i generally avoid it here - there are many of people in my lifetime where I have had the Sehwag debate with and its far more civil.

What a piece of **** post that is... 8-)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting probably deserved a bit of Haddin style hate tbh. WAC he was.
Well take it to the "Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin are ****s and Sehwag is the greatest person ever oh and look at their misleading number of 50s" thread. Or if one doesn't exist, create it.

Now, this isn't the Retirement Thread Rules Discussion Thread. Back to Sehwag.

For one reason or another, I never really liked Sehwag. But you damn well can't deny his runscoring record and his ability to take the game away from you in a few minutes. As an Aussie fan growing up in the 2000s, that 195 at the MCG was the first time (in my time following cricket) that the Australian bowlers looked, well, utterly helpless and toothless.

I thought he was on for about 600 just before he got himself out, looked utterly unstoppable.

His trolling of everyone in the media was glorious as well. I reckon I'll miss that more than his batting.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag not being around to troll them is what's led to Bangers gaining a bit of confidence in their abilities. WAG. Singlehandedly kept a rising cricketing nation down. Didn't even minnow bash them.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This isn't acceptable; you know better.

Now, let's just say that if I have to come into this thread again for purposes of moderation, I'm a) going to be very pissed off and b) going to be very liberal in my use of the 'ignoring moderator instructions' infraction button. Cut it out and talk about Sehwag in accordance with retirement thread rules.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well take it to the "Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin are ****s and Sehwag is the greatest person ever oh and look at their misleading number of 50s" thread. Or if one doesn't exist, create it.

Now, this isn't the Retirement Thread Rules Discussion Thread. Back to Sehwag.

For one reason or another, I never really liked Sehwag. But you damn well can't deny his runscoring record and his ability to take the game away from you in a few minutes. As an Aussie fan growing up in the 2000s, that 195 at the MCG was the first time (in my time following cricket) that the Australian bowlers looked, well, utterly helpless and toothless.

I thought he was on for about 600 just before he got himself out, looked utterly unstoppable.

His trolling of everyone in the media was glorious as well. I reckon I'll miss that more than his batting.

You just hate every god damn good test opener we produce, don't you?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This isn't acceptable; you know better.

Now, let's just say that if I have to come into this thread again for purposes of moderation, I'm a) going to be very pissed off and b) going to be very liberal in my use of the 'ignoring moderator instructions' infraction button. Cut it out and talk about Sehwag in accordance with retirement thread rules.

I edited it out immediately. Apologies. Frustrating day, not in the best mood when I see posts like this inspite of multiple warnings/requests/advice on how to post in a retirement thread.

OverratedSanity

Less talk about forum ettiquette and more talk about Sehwag plz.

Although Sehwag would make an amazing internet troll with his glorious blunt responses to everything.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You just hate every god damn good test opener we produce, don't you?
I like, umm, erm...Pujara and Dravid totally count, right? Oh and I have a soft spot for Ramesh after his hilarious run out by Greg Blewett in the 1999/2000 series.

Seriously, India has this amazing ability to produce dislikable or utterly nondescript openers. Sehwag being the one who bucks the trend, and I don't like change (or people belting around Aussies on Boxing Day) :ph34r:

OverratedSanity

God I love this innings. So many shots here where he just seemed to take the piss. He actually plays a reverse sweep paddle to a Murali doosra near the end :laugh:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
That list of quotes on Sehwag at cricinfo is pure gold. The one where he says "I have a plan" which is basically him smashing the reverse swinging ball out the ground lmfao, only Sehwag.

I remember him face palming Monty Panesar during that Chennai innings where Monty appealed for a LBW when the ball pitched outside leg. Everyone had a chuckle :laugh:

Why is it that there's barely any YT vids for Viru's innings though, kinda lame.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Less talk about forum ettiquette and more talk about Sehwag plz.

Although Sehwag would make an amazing internet troll with his glorious blunt responses to everything.
Could you imagine Sehwag on CW? Would be a thing of beauty. We need to get him and an updated JimmyGS in here; imagine those two vs. Block-"I have more FC wickets than Mark Craig"-y.

OverratedSanity

That list of quotes on Sehwag at cricinfo is pure gold. The one where he says "I have a plan" which is basically him smashing the reverse swinging ball out the ground lmfao, only Sehwag.

I remember him face palming Monty Panesar during that Chennai innings where Monty appealed for a LBW when the ball pitched outside leg. Everyone had a chuckle :laugh:

Why is it that there's barely any YT vids for Viru's innings though, kinda lame.
Haha yeah. Such an amazing list of anecdotes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Such a street cricket thing to do. Hit the ball that is doing a bit out of the ground and force the use of a new one.. lol. Though to be fair, when we played at The Marina, hitting it out of the park simply means throwing it into the sea.