• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sehwag going for 200

First man to 200 in ODI

• Sehwag

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Ponting

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Hayden

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Flintoff

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Gayle

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Lara

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Square cut

Cricket Spectator
Saurav Ganguly,The Indian Skipper.If it would be his day,he is a great timer of the ball.Some were not satisfied with the comment, but I always place his over Sehwaag and Sachin. :cool: :cool:

Sehwag309

Banned
nookie_lk said:
sehvag is a big mouthed... swollen headed little brat trying very hard to be tendulkar. !!!
hes never gonna come close to 200...not in this pathetic life of his. (nothing personal with him though)
Your post seems nothing but personal

It was the journalist who interpereted in such a way that everyone thought it was going to be against UAE

You seem to a fan of his, thus the knowledge of his life

Swollen headed--->I would say cool headed the way he took those Lankan wickets in the end

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
It was the journalist who interpereted in such a way that everyone thought it was going to be against UAE
Oh come off it, he was clearly referring to the UAE game.

shankar

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Oh come off it, he was clearly referring to the UAE game.
This is what Sehwag actually said:

"If I stay at the crease for 50 overs, I can score a double-century.In fact, a lot of batsmen can do it provided they bat full 50 overs."

The 25-year-old did not believe that a weak bowling attack was required to slam the first-ever double-century, saying no opposition could be taken lightly.

"It takes just one ball to dismiss a batsman," Sehwag said ahead of the Asia Cup limited-overs tournament starting in Sri Lanka on Friday.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So it is of course all coincidence that he said it just before the UAE game and not at any other time?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Swervy

International Captain
"If I stay at the crease for 50 overs, I can score a double-century," said Sehwag, preparing for his 91st ODI(the game vs UAE)

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So it is of course all coincidence that he said it just before the UAE game and not at any other time?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
he was asked about it at the start of Asia cup it included an outing aganist
Ban then y dont u say that he intended the 2 games and since he had scored a 300 in his last series he might have said that it was nice score 200

and how in thw world was sehwag sure that india was going to bat first :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You really won't hear a word against him will you?

It is quite obvious what game he was talking about, although from his efforts, it may have been he was talking about scoring 200 in the whole Asia Cup...

shankar

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
No. It's not a coincidence. The reporter asked him if he could score a 200 because he had a game coming up against UAE.

Think about it. Do you think he would have gone to the press meet and said "I'd like to announce that I'm going to score a double hundred against UAE." 8-) Obviously someone's asked him if he was capable of doing it and he's said yes.

Also note that he's said that he did not believe that a weak bowling attack was required to slam a double-century and that no opposition could be taken lightly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
yea, but 143 of them??
Robert Key's highest Test score is higher than the highest of either Mark Butcher, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Alec Stewart and Graham Thorpe.
Anyone think he's a better batsman than them? Personally I don't think he even comes close.
The best players don't always get the best scores.
Sometimes a no-more-than good player (eg Malik) can put-in an outstanding performance, and that outstanding performance can reap reward few have come close to.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
You really won't hear a word against him will you?

It is quite obvious what game he was talking about, although from his efforts, it may have been he was talking about scoring 200 in the whole Asia Cup...
From what Sehwag actually said:

"If I stay at the crease for 50 overs, I can score a double-century.In fact, a lot of batsmen can do it provided they bat full 50 overs."

The 25-year-old did not believe that a weak bowling attack was required to slam the first-ever double-century, saying no opposition could be taken lightly.

"It takes just one ball to dismiss a batsman," Sehwag said ahead of the Asia Cup limited-overs tournament starting in Sri Lanka on Friday.

Seems to me he's speaking in general terms rather than referring to a specific game. Certainly I don't agree with your claim that it's "obvious" which game he's referring to.

The fact that he said it before the UAE game is significant in the sense that it marked the start of India's 2004/2005 season -- players do tend to set goals at the start of a new season.

Waughney

International Debutant
Richard said:
Robert Key's highest Test score is higher than the highest of either Mark Butcher, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Alec Stewart and Graham Thorpe.
Anyone think he's a better batsman than them? Personally I don't think he even comes close.
Totally agree, another prime example of this is Steve (200) and Mark (153*) Waugh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that case it also applies that the best players don't even get the best averages!
Though I do think Stephen Waugh's skills were sometimes rather shockingly underrated.
You don't average 50 in Test-cricket against the bowlers he faced without being extremely talented.
But I've always been convinced that Mark Waugh massively underachieved in the Test-match game, from his 2nd match onwards.

Waughney

International Debutant
Read his latest biography and you'll find out why. His attitude of "if the ball's there to be hit I will hit it" often lead to his downfall but is also what lead to him being a very succesful and popular cricketer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
IMO i think sehwag was talking about the UAE game, even if he didnt actually speak the words "it think i can get 200 against UAE".

Sometimes a no-more-than good player (eg Malik) can put-in an outstanding performance, and that outstanding performance can reap reward few have come close to.
wow... i learnt nothing new there. talk about stating the obvious. who has the fastest ODI hundred? afridi. i was merely commenting on the fact that you stated you werent at all suprised that malik had got a whopping score, even when he was batting at three, and the fact that he hasnt done a huge amount batting for Pakistan. whats your next prediction oh master...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nnanden said:
IMO i think sehwag was talking about the UAE game, even if he didnt actually speak the words "it think i can get 200 against UAE".
No, he was quite clearly talking about the upcoming Aussie series, isn't it obvious from when he was speaking?

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
I assure everyone that it is going to be Mr. Ganguly who is going to acheive this magnificent feat & it is going to be in the next one year.

Now dont me call me an astrologer when he gets one.

Real Pakistani do you think that such a feat can be achieved ever by any pakistani.