• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scott Muller v Shane Warne

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why does everyone jump on Muller';s back when he made the accusation that Warne was the one who said "can't bowl, can't throw" ?

The voice on the tape sounds like Warne and doesn't it seem fishy that channel 9, quickly wheeled out a cameraman who supposedly said those words. What's in it for nine whether Warne said those words or not ? Channel 9' director o sport Greg Burns said at the time that cameramen sometimes make comments during the coverage and it is heard before they can edit it.....but I have been watching channel 9's coverage since 1988-1889 and before 1999, never heard any comments on the coverage other than the commentary team and players on the park.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But.... most people I've talked to believe it was Warne who made the comment.

Our esteemed Top_cat and Faaiap both think Muller had some sort of vendetta against Warne and that he made it all up.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Salamuddin said:
Our esteemed Top_cat and Faaiap both think Muller had some sort of vendetta against Warne and that he made it all up.
He may have had a vendetta against Warne, but I can still easily see Warne having said it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was Warne.

I mean seriously! How many times have we ever heard on a live braodcast what the cameraman has had to say? Only once? How about never.

howardj

International Coach
Honestly, I would stake my life and my family's fortune on that remark being made by Simon O'Donnell. Anyone, being objective, who listens to the voice could only reach the same conclusion. Never been more confident of anything.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Honestly, I would stake my life and my family's fortune on that remark being made by Simon O'Donnell. Anyone, being objective, who listens to the voice could only reach the same conclusion. Never been more confident of anything.
All in hey?...I'll call.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Rubbish. Total crap. Never said anything of the sort. What I said was that Muller believed it was Warne but he was wrong. I've said who I know it was previously and I don't intend to bring it up again because it was 6 years ago for crying out loud against a player who is long gone from his state side. LET IT GO ALREADY.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont know who said it. I never knew about this whole thing anyway. But I am amused at how much of debate it has generated.

Suppose Warne did say it. Whats the big deal? Would it have been the first time a player made such a comment against a fellow player? I have heard such a comment on so many occasions from top players its not funny.

Sit with Bishen Bedi for ten minutes and you will hear it ten times. And he isnt the only one.

Fans arent the only ones with firm opinions about merits or demerits of players.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
Eh? I never said who I thought it was.

What I said was that in Warne's book, Warne claims he didn't say it (obviously), and that Muller thought that he did. Warne says he tried to call him to apologise several times, and Muller responded by threatening to sue and so on.

I don't really know or care who it was to be honest. Warne says it wasn't him and that Joe guy admitted to it, so I'm inclined to believe that rather than a conspiricy theory, without some sort of compelling evidence.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Reading Faaip's earlier post (in another thread) about what Warne said in his book, it seems that Shane's essentially made it a moot point as to whether he made the remark or not, as he dismisses Muller as being fairly useless anyway.

It's all a bit of a sad story, anyway, and I feel very sorry for Muller. That's a lousy way to be remembered, and there have probably been numerous players (some of which would have had substantially lengthier careers) who were similarly talented or less.

It makes you think - sometimes it's better to just miss out on playing top level than to actually make it, and face that kind of humiliation.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slow Love™ said:
Reading Faaip's earlier post (in another thread) about what Warne said in his book, it seems that Shane's essentially made it a moot point as to whether he made the remark or not, as he dismisses Muller as being fairly useless anyway.

It's all a bit of a sad story, anyway, and I feel very sorry for Muller. That's a lousy way to be remembered, and there have probably been numerous players (some of which would have had substantially lengthier careers) who were similarly talented or less.

It makes you think - sometimes it's better to just miss out on playing top level than to actually make it, and face that kind of humiliation.

No, I'll take playing at that level, and being humiliated by Warne, than not playing at all :).

It'd be another thing if Rikki humiliated me, but Warne I can take.

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
No, I'll take playing at that level, and being humiliated by Warne, than not playing at all :).

It'd be another thing if Rikki humiliated me, but Warne I can take.
Well, I just think of my grandkids on my knee:

"Kids, I nearly made it to international level. I was THIS close."
vs
"Kids, I did play two tests, it''s true. But the WHOLE WORLD LAUGHED at my ineptitude, and they're still laughing about it now."

Easy choice for me... :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slow Love™ said:
Well, I just think of my grandkids on my knee:

"Kids, I nearly made it to international level. I was THIS close."
vs
"Kids, I did play two tests, it''s true. But the WHOLE WORLD LAUGHED at my ineptitude, and they're still laughing about it now."

Easy choice for me... :p

Kids, I played two tests and was on the same team with people like Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and played against players like Sachin Tendulkar.

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Kids, I played two tests and was on the same team with people like Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and played against players like Sachin Tendulkar.
Then what happened, Gramps?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Rubbish. Total crap. Never said anything of the sort. What I said was that Muller believed it was Warne but he was wrong. I've said who I know it was previously and I don't intend to bring it up again because it was 6 years ago for crying out loud against a player who is long gone from his state side. LET IT GO ALREADY.

You just can't accept the fact that it was arne who said it can you .......the mere thought that an Aussie great could possibly have said it just rankles you doesn't it :D

The ACB and Channel 9 all covered up for Warne just the same when he interacted with the bookmakers - no one spoke up for Muller - not even his old state coach John Buchanan - they were all happy not to upset the powers that be.

BUT OK I'll let it go --- Mr Top_Cat, anything you say :D :D