• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

School yard pick

oz_fan

International Regular
Frank Worrell

Team A
Len Hutton
Everton Weekes
Frank Worrell
Steve Waugh
Ian Botham
Ray Lindwall
Alan Davidson
Clarrie Grimmett
Glenn McGrath

oz_fan

International Regular
Graham Gooch

Team A
Len Hutton
Graham Gooch
Everton Weekes
Frank Worrell
Steve Waugh
Ian Botham
Ray Lindwall
Alan Davidson
Clarrie Grimmett
Glenn McGrath

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
V. Merchant

Team B
M. Holding
G. Chappell
C. Walsh
A. Donald
J. Laker
R. Ponting
I. Healy
G. Headley
M. Hayden
V. Merchant

oz_fan

International Regular
Les Ames

Team A
Len Hutton
Graham Gooch
Everton Weekes
Frank Worrell
Steve Waugh
Les Ames
Ian Botham
Ray Lindwall
Alan Davidson
Clarrie Grimmett
Glenn McGrath

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
W.G Grace

V. Merchant

Team B
M. Holding
G. Chappell
C. Walsh
A. Donald
J. Laker
R. Ponting
I. Healy
G. Headley
M. Hayden
V. Merchant
W.G. Grace

My Team in Order:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Vijay Merchant

Hayden can get on top of any attack, and everyone here knows of him. The second opening spot goes to V. Merchant, who is highly underrated as opening batsman. A lot of people would put him ahead of Sunny Gavaskar. His FC average was 71, and here is his cricinfo page: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/30996.html

3. Ricky Ponting
4. George Headely
5. Gregg Chappell
6. WG Grace

These are pretty obvious. I am suprised Headley wasn't picked yet, and WG can be my all rounder. :) Headley was the best player on a team that wasn't very good, and he excelled. I would seriously give him my consideration in an all time XI, I don't think he should have lasted this long. I am equally suprised regarding WG Grace.

7. Ian Healy

Obvious. I want my wicketkeeper to keep. Thats his job, and he better do it well. His batting should be a bonus and keeping a priority (not the other way around).

8. Allan Donald
9. Michael Holding
10. Jim Laker
11. Courtney Walsh

I feel Allan's stats would be much better if he wasn't so overbowled in his career. C. Walsh is way underrated on this forum, as he got better and better with age. He is amazing, someone you can build your team around for the next 15 years. Laker is my spinner, and I daresay he'll give anyone a run for his money, and Holding speaks for himself.

I suprised myself by not including anyone from the subcontinent except Merchant, especially since I consider myself a little bit biased :). I was going to put Border instead of Merchant, but I wanted openers and not have middle order bats trying to open the batting.

So here it is:

1. Matthew Hayden
  2. Vijay Merchant
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. George Headely
  5. Gregg Chappell
  6. WG Grace
  7. Ian Healy (wk)
  8. Allan Donald
  9. Michael Holding
  10. Jim Laker
  11. Courtney Walsh

The captain could be WG Grace or Chappell.

Bring on anyone :).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
SS, you sure you want Holding opening the innings? :laugh:

That was just my first pick, I've organized them into the appropriate order above. Though Holding opening would be fun. His job would be to take the stump out of the ground and throw it as a javelin into the heart of the bowler who got him out.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
That was just my first pick, I've organized them into the appropriate order below. Though Holding opening would be fun. His job would be to take the stump out of the ground and throw it as a javelin into the heart of the bowler who got him out.
:unsure: You hate McGrath that much?

shortpitched713

International Captain
silentstriker said:
So what do people think? Who wins?
I'm thinking your team looks better overall and I think in a match they would just pip Oz_fan's team. I think you might suffer from the lack of a fifth bowler as I'm highly skeptical of WG as a quality allrounder.

Matt79

Global Moderator
i think the two teams are pretty close, but OzFan's team might just have the advantage. Grace is not as good a fifth bowler as Botham & SS's team has a rather long tail IMO, cf Botham, Davidson, and Lindwall.

I was very close to selecting Headly more than once in my team, while i also thought about grace too.