• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

School yard pick

adharcric

International Coach
You just gave me both sides of the argument. :)
Should I make the pick or not?

EDIT: OZ you're back, go ahead.

oz_fan

International Regular
Yeah, I'm fine with Hadlee.

Brian Lara

Jack Hobbs
Gordon Greenidge
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan

Matt79

Global Moderator
Viv Richards

Team A so far:
Sunil Gavaskar
Wally Hammond
Graham Pollock
Viv Richards
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Waqar Younis

oz_fan

International Regular
Curtley Ambrose

Team B so far:
Jack Hobbs
Gordon Greenidge
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Curtley Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Matt79

Global Moderator
Barry Richards

Final Team A:
Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Wally Hammond
Graham Pollock
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Waqar Younis

oz_fan

International Regular
Jeffrey Dujon

Final Team B:
Jack Hobbs
Gordon Greenidge
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Imran Khan
Jeffrey Dujon
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Curtley Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Matt79

Global Moderator
Cool. It would be a great match between the two teams. Would you have taken Bradman first if you were going first? I wasn't sure, but figured in this scenario, Sobers provides more options - in my team he'd mostly be used as the second spinner, but if you hadn't grabbed Murali when you did, i'd have taken him too and had Sobers as my third seemer.

How many times did I pick the person you planned to select next? You did that to me when you picked Imran, Hobbs and Hadlee - they would have been my next picks... In retrospect I probably should have picked Imran with my second pick rather than Gilchrist, but I personally think he is much further ahead of the second best option than Imran is ahead of Botham etc...

I think the teams ended up pretty even - my 6 (in particular) ,7,8,9 are probably stronger with the bat, but your team has Bradman in it, so that probably evens out. I think our opening pairs are pretty even, the spinners are pretty even, and its debateable who's new ball attack is better.

Matt79

Global Moderator
My bowling attack has more variety with Akram and Sobers as lefties... maybe an advantage?

oz_fan

International Regular
If I would have picked first I definitely would have gone with Sobers because of his variety.

I planned on picking Gilchrist early but once you took him I decided to leave the wicketkeeper till last for my team so I could make the most of batting and bowling options. I considered Flower and Dujon for the wk but decided on Dujon because he is better with the gloves and also has a good combination with Marshall and Ambrose.

I would have preffered Warne as my first choice spinner but once you picked him I settled on Murali.

Matt79

Global Moderator
yeah it was the same with me for the openers - once you picked Hobbs, I thought I better get at least one of my preferences, but once you picked Grenidge I felt pretty confident to leave Barry Richards til the end.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the teams selected.

I think oz_fans team is the strongest. A far better bowling line up in my opinion and The Don always gives the advantage to a batting line up.

Only thing I really disagree with Oz_Fan with is his selection of Dujon. I saw a lot of Dujon and he was not a great keeper as many make out. He was a good player but he went for far too many balls one handed and made a number of errors and also was not the most experienced at test level standing upto the stumps. He was a useful batsman but there are a number of better selections possible.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Marshall, Ambrose, Hadlee, Imran, Murali FAR better than Lillee, Waqar, Wasim, Warne and Sobers?

Apart from anything else, I've got two spinners (one great, the other quite good) against his one.

I'll admit I was cursing when he picked Hadlee, I particularly wanted him to go with Lillee and Waqar.

You should pick a team against Jamee999

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
Marshall, Ambrose, Hadlee, Imran, Murali FAR better than Lillee, Waqar, Wasim, Warne and Sobers?
IMO yes.
Match them up man for man and I think its far easier to argue that each of the former are better bowlers than the latter. Its not like there is clear daylight between them or anything, its just that I marginally prefer all the first group over the 2nd.

Marshall > Lillee
Ambrose > Waqar
Hadlee > Wasim
Murali > Warne (personally I dont believe this one but stats would suggest it)
Imran > Sobers

Clear edge to the first group.

EDIT- As Units
Marshall, Ambrose, Hadlee, Imran, Murali
Combined 2231 Test wickets @ 21.82

Lillee, Waqar, Wasim, Warne and Sobers
2193 Test wickets @ 25.32

Clear difference, and even without including Sobers they average over 24 as a group.

As I said, its close but the clear edge is to the first group in both my personal opinion and statistically.

Last edited: