• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain for England?

Who would you select as the spinner in England's Test team?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm a believer of the whole form is temporary, class is permanant ideology and Saqlain at his peak was a terrific bowler, one of the best finger spinners in recent times.
I'm a believer in that too - unfortunately, injury can interrupt it. And it has with Saqlain. He's not got the class of old.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, fair call Richard. Although it would be interesting if he does get picked for England. I can't be bothered researching this at the moment but apart from obvious cricketers like Kepler Wessels, who were other cricketers who have played for two different countries? It'd be interesting to see a list of those players.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fair call Richard. Although it would be interesting if he does get picked for England. I can't be bothered researching this at the moment but apart from obvious cricketers like Kepler Wessels, who were other cricketers who have played for two different countries? It'd be interesting to see a list of those players.
I don't think there's many of them.

There's certainly one who played for both England & Aus around the turn of the 20th century, and I'm really peeved that I can't rememeber his name as he cropped up on another thread recently.

There may be players who represented India & then Pakistan either side of partition.
And I think there's a guy who played for England and then India after they started playing tests.

Possibly someone who represented both Aus & NZ?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
His knees have gone and his overall fitness is not good enough to survive a one day series let alone a test. How many games did he play back to back last year for Sussex?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although it would be interesting if he does get picked for England. I can't be bothered researching this at the moment but apart from obvious cricketers like Kepler Wessels, who were other cricketers who have played for two different countries? It'd be interesting to see a list of those players.
I don't think there's many of them.

There's certainly one who played for both England & Aus around the turn of the 20th century, and I'm really peeved that I can't rememeber his name as he cropped up on another thread recently.

There may be players who represented India & then Pakistan either side of partition.
And I think there's a guy who played for England and then India after they started playing tests.

Possibly someone who represented both Aus & NZ?
Players who've played for more than one Test team (excluding ICC World XIs) number 14 as of this post.

They fit into three broad categories:
"Early" (19th-century) players who played for England\Australia\South Africa - these number half of them:
JJ Ferris; F Hearne; WE Midwinter; F Mitchell; WL Murdoch; AE Trott; SMJ Woods
Players who played for India before partition and Pakistan afterwards:
Amir Elahi; Gul Mahomed; Abdul Hafeez Kardar
Miscelleneous:
Kepler Wessels (South African who qualified for Australia then went back home to a readmitted team); John Traicos (played for South Africa in the last series before isolation, and a few early games for Zimbabwe); Iftikhar Ali Khan (Nawab Of Pataudi Snr) (played for England then India); SC Guillen (the strangest case, who played for West Indies and New Zealand for a reason I cannot find)

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Players who've played for more than one Test team (excluding ICC World XIs) number 14 as of this post.

"Early" (19th-century) players who played for England\Australia\South Africa (these number half of them):
Miscelleneous:
Kepler Wessels (South African who qualified for Australia then went back home to a readmitted team); John Traicos (played for South Africa in the last series before isolation, and a few early games for Zimbabwe); Mansur Ali Khan (Nawab Of Pataudi Jnr) (played for England then India); SC Guillen (the strangest case, who played for West Indies and New Zealand for a reason I cannot find)
Interesting reading. I do remember reading about Gul Mohammed, just couldn't remember his name. Thought John Traicos only played a handful of games for Zimbabwe and never heard of SC Guillen. Thanks Richard, you learn something everyday.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im sure ODIs adds quite a few more to the players for 2 International teams list.

Off the top of my head Lambert for WI and USA and Cummins for WI and Canada, Hamilton and Brown both for Eng and Scot

EDIT- Just checked. Hamilton didnt play a ODI for Eng (just that one memorable Test) and only 4 have played ODIs for 2 countries. The 3 I mention above and Wessels.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's loads from ODIs, though probably only a tiny number (if any) who played for 2 ODI-standard teams. Would imagine only Wessels of the Test lot also played ODIs for 2 teams, though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Monty Panesar has done nothing to prove that he's a good one-day bowler. I'd definitely pick him ODIs for England.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the last 4 seasons, Saqlain has played 12 First-Class matches.
In his limited opportunity last season he did pretty well. Averaged under 20 IIRC.

Obviously he would have to prove fitness and form, but I don't doubt his ability to outbowl Monty in the one-day arena.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
One for the "makes a mockery of international sport" pile imo, whatever the qualification rules may say to the contrary. Lovely guy and, in his time, a great bowler, but I wouldn't want anyone who's played for another country to represent England.
What he said.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

"Early" (19th-century) players who played for England\Australia\South Africa - these number half of them:
Miscelleneous:
Kepler Wessels (South African who qualified for Australia then went back home to a readmitted team); John Traicos (played for South Africa in the last series before isolation, and a few early games for Zimbabwe); Iftikhar Ali Khan (Nawab Of Pataudi Snr) (played for England then India); SC Guillen (the strangest case, who played for West Indies and New Zealand for a reason I cannot find)
Cheers Richard. I think Sammy Woods was the one mentioned elsewhere on cw a few months ago. And I'm genuinely appalled that I forgot that the Noob was the England/India player. Ditto that I forgot about Traicos. Ah well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In his limited opportunity last season he did pretty well. Averaged under 20 IIRC.
He did indeed do well least season... in his three First-Class matches. All toward the end of the season.

Seriously, he has to last at least one full season (at least, where the problematic area of knees are concerned - I won't make judgement if he breaks a finger and misses 5 matches) before we even remotely consider him IMO.
Obviously he would have to prove fitness and form, but I don't doubt his ability to outbowl Monty in the one-day arena.
I highly doubt his ability to outbowl and outlast-the-course Graeme Swann. Who, in case anyone STILL has any doubts (and anyone with an iyota of understanding of cricket and who has been taking any notice doesn't), is now irrefutably the premier one-day spinner in the country.

Swann's record in the last 4 years is not only superior, but far, far more extensive as he's actually played rather than sat-out 9\10ths of the season injured.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One for the "makes a mockery of international sport" pile imo, whatever the qualification rules may say to the contrary. Lovely guy and, in his time, a great bowler, but I wouldn't want anyone who's played for another country to represent England.
What did you think about the case of Wessels? Would you have allowed him to play for Australia?

Evermind

International Debutant
Crap, I voted for the wrong option by mistake!

If England have any measure of self-respect, they honestly shouldn't even consider picking him. Pietersen at least hadn't played for SA at all - they might as well dismantle the international circuit altogether and make everything club-based, if they're gonna let Saqlain play!

slowfinger

International Debutant
Saqlain was a very good player A LONG TIME AGO FOR INTERNATIONAL LEVEL but nower days he wont be good as for Monty, he is a young, talented player.Saqlain is probably pretty fine at where he is now.

:happy:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If we gloss over issues of form (suffice to say he has a fair bit to prove before he'll be even worthy of consideration), I was instinctively anti his selection. At least with blokes like Pietersen, Trott & Ambrose they came to England at a relatively early age and without a long career for another country behind them.

On reflection tho part of me says what the ****. He's playing over here as a non-overseas player, therefore occupying a place that would otherwise be filled by an English cricketer, so why shouldn't Team England reap the benefits? Sure it's a flag of convenience, but is KP's any less so?

shortpitched713

International Captain
If you have a passport you should be able to play. No questions asked.

Wessels did it before, and I don't think anyone thought it was making a mockery of the sport then, and it wouldn't now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What did you think about the case of Wessels? Would you have allowed him to play for Australia?
The difference is that Wessels hadn't played for SA prior to playing for Aus. Based on my previous argument, the question is should he have been allowed to play for SA after their readmission. He'd made his choice, benefitted at the time, and maybe should have had to live with the consequences.

Beyond that particular issue, I suppose I was OK with him playing tests for Aus on the basis that individuals should be able to aspire to test cricket and, if their own country doesn't allow them to do that, as long as there is a suitable qualifying period, then they should be able to play elsewhere. Same for D'Oliveira, really.