• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

saddest thing?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Whats the saddest thing for each team thats happened? no deaths here,because deaths are sad no matter what.

For NZ,I think MArtin Crowe getting for 299.No kiwi has ever scored a 300,but fleming has got 274 and was looking good but he declared.

Post what you think it is.

FRAZ

International Captain
Hanif Mohammad from pakistan. He was batting on 337 vs wet indies in westindies was judged wrong for being a run out . It was the saddest moment in Pakistan's cricket history . He was 2 feet inside the crease . If he was not gonna be delared out He would have made 400.

Bouncer

State Regular
One of the most controversial decisions in Pakistani cricket history Imran Khan Declaring the inning when Javed Miandad was batting at 280* Against India at Hyderabad.

Also 2nd test PAk VS Aus 1999, Hobart when Umpire did not give Langer out of Wasim....Think about it had Pakistan won that game, where Austraila started their World record winning streak....it could have changed the current cricket scene

FRAZ

International Captain
I remember that series . Not only the Wasim's decision but also all the series was composed of anti Pakistan umpiring decisions. And Pakistan was actually gonna win that series But lost 2-0 I guess. just because of picture perfect cheating to let Australia win . And also Pakistan lost a series in Windies in their recent tour . Remember when Jimmy Adams jumped like a monkey having won the series against Pakistan. And Walsh was out atleast 4 times but was not given all the decisions were unfortunately at the end where West Indian Umpire was standing. The worst Umpires I have witnessed (I am extremely sorry to my Indian friends) were Indians of 80's. Extreme mistakes were made by them and mostly against the opponents .
I am really really sorry to say this but thats how I feel. Once Gavaskar said to Asif Iqbal that "just give me Zaheer Abbas and Imran khan then I ll win against any team any where ". Asif Iqbal replied that " just give me one Indian umpire then No one can beat me any where in the world".Once again I am apologising to all my Indian forum members but thats how I feel .
The most unfortunate incident to happen in the cricket world was when F****** Mike Gatting had a fight with Khizer Hayat . The replays were showing that Mike was wrong . But Gatting having the back of their cricketing inherited rights kept on spilling crap ot of his mouth .Just imagine if it was done by any Pakistani OR iNDIAN player ,then the whole team would have been out of the international circuit . But that F****** Mike gatting was only fired for a limited period of time and only because he was shown wrong according to the replays.
Yeah, 1987 loss to Aussies was also unfortunate just because of wonderful batting of Boon and stupid bowling by Wasim Jaffer .
And another unfortunate moment of cricket was when Windies lost to Aussies in the 1996 World cup semi final . This loss eliminated the career of the only hope for Windies in cricket (Richie Richerdson). They were 165 for 3 and needed only 207 in plenty of overs but once Chanderpaul was out then their was a huge collapse . This was I guess the only chance for Westindies to shut the mouths of their critics But all in vain.
And a very unfortunate moment in the history was the 6 of the last ball By Miandad against India in the Sharjah cup final (1986) . Ravi Shastri said "that 6 caused so many further losses to Pakistan cuz before that ,India was never beaten by Pakistan in Sharjah cup ,But that 6 was cause of unwanted scare of Pakistanis in Indian cricketer's mind for so many years constantly afterwards".
Another Saddest rather stupid moment in cricket commentory history was 1999 Sharjah cup , I guess that was the last time when South Africa played under Cronje . In the discussion pannel Navjot Singh Sidhu was saying that Pakistan is definately gonna win the final against South Africans but Pat sympcox was saying its imnpossible . Pat became so emotional that in front of the camera he gave a handkerchief to Sidhu and said keep it to Wipe your tears later . Later on Waqar and Shoaib were reverse swinging all the South Africans one by one and South Africa lost the match .In the commentry room Sidhu gave back the handkercheif to Sympcox and said you forgot the reverse swing and now wipe your own tears .Sympcox was like really crying ,He snatched the handkercheif and went out of the discussion room .

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FRAZ said:
Remember when Jimmy Adams jumped like a monkey having won the series against Pakistan. And Walsh was out atleast 4 times but was not given all the decisions were unfortunately at the end where West Indian Umpire was standing.
Walsh was out once, twice at most by poor umpiring, but Pakistan had two of the easiest run out chances I have ever seen and blew them both.

Walsh and Adams were practically in the same crease and the ball was returned to Saqlain Mushtaq, who dropped the ball and somehow Walsh got back.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
The worst Umpires I have witnessed (I am extremely sorry to my Indian friends) were Indians of 80's. Extreme mistakes were made by them and mostly against the opponents .
I am really really sorry to say this but thats how I feel. Once Gavaskar said to Asif Iqbal that "just give me Zaheer Abbas and Imran khan then I ll win against any team any where ". Asif Iqbal replied that " just give me one Indian umpire then No one can beat me any where in the world".Once again I am apologising to all my Indian forum members but thats how I feel .
Insult and then apologise, I guess that's your brand of "diplomacy" and you think that makes it all right. Seriously, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but these kind of extremely biased statements just invite flame-wars which this forum can well do without. I am not a staff member or anything, but would you please mind desisting from such inferences in the future?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'm with you, anilramavarma.

But he does have a point there. They were a bit biased, but then I am also biased, as it was the England captain who lost his rag! I think that is the case with all countries to an extent however, even now, in the case of some umpires.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
halsey said:
I'm with you, anilramavarma.

But he does have a point there. They were a bit biased, but then I am also biased, as it was the England captain who lost his rag! I think that is the case with all countries to an extent however, even now, in the case of some umpires.
My point is that these kind of things have happened in all major cricketing countries in various degrees. I can also cite examples in other countries, but what's the point? Has an umpire ever been hauled up for bias or at the very least, for extreme incompetence? Not to my knowledge. So, the sensible way is to accept this as part of a grey area in cricket which, thankfully isn't too widespread and in which no member country is really a saint.

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Umpiring mistakes have happened all over the world and so its better we keep away from that discussion or if at all, we need to do it in a way where its based on umpiring rather then finger pointing at any particular nationality of umpires, because we won't go anywhere with that sort of discussion.

FRAZ, you may have an opinion....but if its inflammatory in nature, you better keep it to yourself.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1/ Allan Donald and Lance Klusener, Edgbaston in 1999.... :!(

2/ Allan Donald breaking down in Johannesburg against the Aussies in 2002.. :!(

3/ The fall of Hansie

4/ Watching the rain come down, Durban.. World Cup 2003 :!(

nibbs

International Captain
NZs defeat to Pakistan at the 1992 World Cup. We were easily the best side of the tournament. It was all going well when Crowe got injured. From there we probably should have won but we didn't. Sure I was only 6, but I was so sad. Had we beaten Pakistan that day, we would have won the final fo sho...

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'd have to say South Africa's extreme lack of luck/insight in 3 of the 4 world cups they've been involved in.

The stupid rain rule thing which left them needing like 21 off 1 ball in the 1992 WC when they were looking like winning easily.

The classical / unforgetable run out in the 1999 WC , I seriously laughed for like 10 minutes after that , that was the best match ever :lol: :lol:

The 12th man forgetting to add that "this is for a tie" when he showed Boucher the D/L sheet in 2003.:lol:

FRAZ

International Captain
I am sorry if some one elt some thing . The thing is if there was some other country then I just would have said straight . Remember so man people have been dissin Bucknor in this forum for so many times . I stated 100 times sorry for pointing out country cuz i knew may be they are gonna make it personal .