• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA20 2024

SeamUp

International Coach
DSG vs PC, SA20 2023/24, 24th Match at Durban, January 30, 2024 - Full Scorecard (espncricinfo.com) I only caught some of this game the other night, but Rilee Rossouw's innings (what is it with Afrikaans butchering an obviously French surname!) was dreadful.
If you interested to find out more on this. They derivative of the French Huguenots absorbed into the Dutch colony Afrikaners. Same happened with Germans (although some became English-speaking depending with they settled.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenots_in_South_Africa#:~:text=Examples of the more common,), Lange, le Roux,

SeamUp

International Coach
That shot from Stubbs. What!!! Back-foot drive from outside leg over long off for 6

Also this is why Marco Jansen is the best AR in SA.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
If you interested to find out more on this. They derivative of the French Huguenots absorbed into the Dutch colony Afrikaners. Same happened with Germans (although some became English-speaking depending with they settled.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenots_in_South_Africa#:~:text=Examples of the more common,), Lange, le Roux,
Thanks, I was aware of some of the history. Indeed Huguenots left France in big numbers due to persecution. There is even quite a history of them in England and certainly London. In many respects, Afrikaans is simplified from Dutch although it absorbed quite a lot from different languages. My original comment wasn’t to criticise the culture but I find the original French spelling of names far more easy to read.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks, I was aware of some of the history. Indeed Huguenots left France in big numbers due to persecution. There is even quite a history of them in England and certainly London. In many respects, Afrikaans is simplified from Dutch although it absorbed quite a lot from different languages. My original comment wasn’t to criticise the culture but I find the original French spelling of names far more easy to read.
Oh yes. Didn't think you criticised. More to show you how surnames (shows other ones) adapt over centuries and not just due culture adaption too. But just how the surname sounds and hence different spellings of English surnames too. It's interesting stuff but we can leave it for the history or genealogy threads.

SeamUp

International Coach
Maybe going for the cusp England players like Tom Abell & Will Jacks is better than the more recognised Livingston & Sam Curran
Latter 2 have had shockers.

Heboric

International Debutant
MICT must have got the **** England players. I know you cant perform every game is this format, but they have been really poor

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Maybe going for the cusp England players like Tom Abell & Will Jacks is better than the more recognised Livingston & Sam Curran
Latter 2 have had shockers.
Curran has been woeful for England in 50 over cricket. Don’t know why he gets picked. He has been more successful in twenty overs stuff but even that is some while ago now.

Heboric

International Debutant
Feel for the crowd, not their fault the team is so ****. Another poor season. Some real donkeys in that side :no: :no:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Some effort from jsk to chase that. They maybe hitting form at the right time. The 2 eliminators being at wanderers will also help.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I've quite enjoyed this season just like I did the last one mainly because it's at a good time in the evening. Good to great crowds & atmosphere, fast bowling, fielding and big hitting at various points too.
Rickelton, Smuts, Du pavilon, Kaber are among the ones who I was impressed with whenever I tuned in.

SeamUp

International Coach
Feel for the crowd, not their fault the team is so ****. Another poor season. Some real donkeys in that side :no: :no:
Weir selection of Kaber (who has actually done well) and van Heerden who both didn't even bowl.

Any youngsters not selected who may get a look in next season?

Pretorius, Stolk and Maphaka from SA U19s were actually signed.

J Malan (if he actually find form again)
J Bird
D Smith
M Prince
JP King
D Marais
B Porteous
R Norton
L Alder
A Cloete
O Cele
T Luus

Feels like the main ones. Not sure any of the guys in New Zealand are made for T20.

Heboric

International Debutant
Weir selection of Kaber (who has actually done well) and van Heerden who both didn't even bowl.

Any youngsters not selected who may get a look in next season?

Pretorius, Stolk and Maphaka from SA U19s were actually signed.

J Malan (if he actually find form again)
J Bird
D Smith
M Prince
JP King
D Marais
B Porteous
R Norton
L Alder
A Cloete
O Cele
T Luus

Feels like the main ones. Not sure any of the guys in New Zealand are made for T20.
Give anybody a shot. Thing is MICT's overseas players have been so poor. Plus two seasons with not great captains.

Normally I dont really care for this format, but it is not a good effort not making into the top 4 in a 6 team league, twice