• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rule changes - good, bad or indifferent?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A comment in another thread got me thinking about how some rules have been changed, some were a good idea and some were not.

What about this for instance? In 1976 this was out.

a massive zebra

International Captain
If you're going to refer to a single incident in a long video that takes up a fraction of the videos total running time, you really should either provide a timestamp to the incident or at least tell viewers the time in the video that the incident occurs. This incident is at 7:55.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, mine started at the incident in question.

Not going to lie, had no idea that was ever the case. When did the rule change?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to refer to a single incident in a long video that takes up a fraction of the videos total running time, you really should either provide a timestamp to the incident or at least tell viewers the time in the video that the incident occurs. This incident is at 7:55.
The link is time stamped to the second. Maybe you need to upgrade from Windows 3.1. :tooth:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, mine started at the incident in question.

Not going to lie, had no idea that was ever the case. When did the rule change?
Laws of Cricket 1970 (i.e. 4th edition of the 1947 code):
Law 35:
"The Fieldsman must have both feet entirely within the playing area at the instant the catch is completed."
Experimental Law 35:
"The Fieldsman must have no part of his body grounded outside the playing area in the act of making the catch and afterwards."
Notes on Law 35:
"The umpire is justified in disregarding the fact that the ball... has been carried over the boundary provided that a catch has been completed prior to such occurrence"

Laws of Cricket 1980:
Law 32.2: "A catch shall be considered to have been fairly made if:
a. The fieldsman is within the field of play throughout the act of making the catch.
i. The act of making the catch shall start from the time when the fieldsman first handles the ball and shall end when he both retains complete control over the further disposal of the ball and remains within the field of play.
ii. In order to be within the field of play, the fieldsman may not touch or ground any part of his person on or over a boundary line."

Jack1

International Debutant
Whilst I prefer the new rule to a point I don't like the relay catch thing personally. I still prefer relay catches to the old rule however. Personally I'd have it that you can save runs relaying, but not take wickets like that. Just what I think anyway.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The new rule leads to some athletic and acrobatic feats to complete catches (including team efforts) but I had no problem with the old rule, apart from the fact that it was very difficult for an umpire to judge if a catch was completed in the field of play. Mind you, without the benefit of replays, the current rule is just as hard to officiate at lower levels of the game.

Shady Slim

International Coach
it's not a rule change officially per se but given the chance to whinge about it i always will, it's custom now to bring the boundary ropes too far in. feels cheap to watch a T20 and see a "six" barely clearing a boundary rope that's only 50 metres from the pitch, where you can see 20 metres worth of grass that's vacant between the rope and the fence. i get with the diving to save runs there's a safety thing. ok, cool, then set a minimum "buffer distance" of say a couple of metres, say 2, in from the fence, and affix the rope there. all formats.

Immenso

Never seen that before or new that was a rule.

In my youth you could lean on the fence and take a catch. So you had an example of Greg Mathews back in 86 spending most of the season in Australia catching while allowed to touch fence, then in Auckland in same season he was standing on a rope (which was ridiculously placed about 30cm from the fence) while taking a catch. IIRC he was both standing on rope (illegal) and leaning on fence (legal) at the same time.

My memory may be dodgy though ....

1632440596975.png

I like the new rule.

Last edited:

Immenso

I don't like the can be caught off the fielder's helmet ricochet rule.

It's a piece of kit that allows a fielder to field in an unnatural position, fine, but no flippin ricochets please.

E.g. https://www.cricket.com.au/news/usm...-regulations-hit-helmet-out-caught/2017-09-27

versus (extremely unlucky/lucky example, admittedly)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like the can be caught off the fielder's helmet ricochet rule.

It's a piece of kit that allows a fielder to field in an unnatural position, fine, but no flippin ricochets please.

E.g. https://www.cricket.com.au/news/usm...-regulations-hit-helmet-out-caught/2017-09-27

versus (extremely unlucky/lucky example, admittedly)
I had no idea that was now a rule. I don't like it either. Why did it change, on the premise that it might encourage close-in fielders to wear helmets? I doubt it.

I agree that I don't like the rule change where you can leap from outside the field of play to take a catch - ie control it inside the field of play, throw it up, then launch back in from outside the boundary. I get that it's a crowd pleaser, but to me you have to be able to maintain control inside the field of play.