• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 7 - Four Day - Match Reports

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jamaica lose to Free State

In Dave's words, newbies will keep their mouths shut in future. I'm too disgusted to go on further.

nibbs

International Captain
Ben Gregson bowled one of the great spells. Unchanged for 16 overs, he took an amazing 9/44, setting up an easy 9 wicket win for Warwickshire. We lead Western Province by 4 points with the big crunch game against them in round 9 looking like the likely championship decider. although next week, Tasmania could do me a real favour and beat them. However that's unlikely so it looks like I'll have to do it myself.

The win btw, was Warwickshire's 20th in four day matches in WCC...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
ACT played a tough Draw, but Colts dented Somersets Run and now we are only 4 behind the lead with a BIG game vs Somerset coming up in a couple of weeks, the winner could well take the title...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As Rennie Plummer continued in solid form with the ball if 4Ds and the experienced Liyanage carried on from his recent discovery of form, Auckland notched another quiet win. This time it was Mashonaland overturned, beaten for the second time in this season's meetings between the teams.

Winning the toss, Auckland batted first and played around a beautiful hundred from Raja Alito post 420 all out. Mashonaland then took their turn and started positively. Durrant (77) and Mongia (44) took to the Auckland pace attack initially but both ultimately perished playing across the line. Only Y Jones (62 not out) contributed significantly from their in and 289 was the total.

Batting again on a surface still true in bounce and pace, Zaheer Roberts took charge to score 91 and support Jack Smith (110 not out) who got his first hundred of the 4D season.

Set 414 to win it was the same formula from Mashonaland. Once again Durrant (54) and Mongia (48) started briskly after an early wicket and once again they threw their wickets away. Plummer and Liyanage claimed 4 wickets each and Plummer upped his wicket total against Mashonaland this season to 14 in 2 matches. Auckland won comfortably by 179 runs.

Summary:

Auckland 1st 420 all out
Raja Ali 138, Jack Smith 58, Oliver O'Neill 50
Saqlain 4/91, K Sami 2/56

Mashonaland 1st 289 all out
E Durrant 77, Y Jones 62*, D Mongia 44
Kemp 3/28, Liyanage 3/72, Plummer 2/51

Auckland 2nd 282/4 declared
Jack Smith 110*, Zaheer Roberts 91
K Sami 2/65

Mashonaland 2nd 234 all out
E Durrant 54, D Mongia 48, Y Jones 46*
Plummer 4/41, Liyanage 4/55

Result: Auckland won by 179 runs
Man of the Match: Jack Smith (Auck)

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
nibbs said:
Ben Gregson bowled one of the great spells. Unchanged for 16 overs, he took an amazing 9/44, setting up an easy 9 wicket win for Warwickshire. We lead Western Province by 4 points with the big crunch game against them in round 9 looking like the likely championship decider. although next week, Tasmania could do me a real favour and beat them. However that's unlikely so it looks like I'll have to do it myself.

The win btw, was Warwickshire's 20th in four day matches in WCC...
a big congratulations goes out to Ben Gregson from all of us here at Western Province :wacko:

By the way we had a typical Western PRovince performance whereby there were no stars but teh team just showed that they are a grade above division 3 by cruising to victory. Matthie laid the platform with the ball and Wessels held things together with the bat in the fisrt innings.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Somerset lost another game, just when we didn't need it:( The loss of Lawson has hit us VERY hard...if it wasn't for our very solid batting and bowling points, and ACTs draw, we would certainly be in second...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Free State played Jamaica, and according to the newly appointed Jamaican manager, I "Didn't know what I was doing" by playing 4 spinners and 9 batsmen at our local ground. Really it was the Jamaican manager who didn't know what he was doing.

Jamaica won the toss and put us in to have a bit of a bat, that proved to be harder then we expected with new opener Guneratne out cheaply for 5, quickly followed by recent recruit Z Court, and the keeper Ambrose. 3/35 we were struggling a bit, but with 9 batters I quietly had confidence of out scoring Jamaica for the game. Javed stuck around for his 43 as did DeBruyn, who hit 32. The tail wagged with Deacon finshing up with a 35* and our number 11 a healthy 34. Total: 219 all out.

Jamaica steadilly lost wickets as Roach, Dennet and Halse quickly destroyed their top and middle orders. The only 2 to make an impression was Jacob Oram with 45* and Vaas with 47. They were 193 all out, the 4 spin attack payed off with Roach taking 5, and Halse taking 3.

Yet again we lost a cheap wicket early on with Gunaratne falling to Nel for 17. This brought Court to the crease, on a pair. He certainly didn't get a pair, and went on to score 106 and anchor our top order. He was well supported by Williams (46), Javed (60) and Ambrose (25) . Oliver teamed up with DeBruyn and Dennet and managed an unbeaten 95, while Dennet, our number 10 hit 42 in the team total of 498 all out.

A spirited comeback from Jamaica saw them scoring 332 all out, with the main scorers being: Alwis 80, Cowe 65 and Pears 50. However it wasn't enough and they lost by 192 runs. Roach taking 7 wickets for the match, which was pleasing. Finally, to the Jamaican manager: Eat your words :D

Free State 219 a.o - I Javed 43, W Deacon 35*, R Roach 34, J Ormond 4/70, G Savage 3/38
Jamaica 193 a.o - K Vaas 47, J Oram 45*, R Roach 5/45, A Halse 3/28
Free State 498 a.o - Z Court 106, V Oliver 95*, I Javed 60, A Nel 5/104
Jamaica 332 a.o - E Alwis 80, D Cowe 65, H Pears 50, J Gunaratne 3/55, A Halse 3/62

Free state win by 192 runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No worries - I've managed to save the pre game stats, so I will be able to work out roughly the players efforts when the stats do get updated.

What's the table looking like now?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
POS TEAM Played Won Lost Drawn Tied N/R Bat Bowl Points
1 South Australia 7 5 2 0 0 0 18 18 86
2 Surrey 7 5 2 0 0 0 10 18 78
3 Lancashire 7 4 3 0 0 0 18 13 71
4 Kent 7 4 3 0 0 0 4 15 59
5 Yorkshire 7 3 4 0 0 0 11 15 56
6 Karnataka 7 1 6 0 0 0 3 9 22

ive sent all the stats and that to save, but they will be on the site when he gets time...