• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor to retire at end of 21-22 summer

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’m guessing a ‘deal’ has been reached where he has effectively been dropped for the SA tests but gets to call it a retirement instead.
Disagree, given Williamson could still be in doubt for the South Africa tests. I’m gonna speculate that he’s had enough of people speculating about his career and has decided to call time. There’s been people calling for him to retire for at least 5 years, before the eye surgery at least.

Anyway, champion bloke and one of NZ’s greatest players. As far as I’m concerned, he’s got more right than many before him to decide when it’s time to hang up the boots.

smash84

The Tiger King
Seemed like a great guy, will forever be associated with kakmal in my mind. After getting that reprieve in the WC 2011 match against Pak went on to play one of the most destructive innings you would ever see.

Best of luck for the future

thierry henry

International Coach
Disagree, given Williamson could still be in doubt for the South Africa tests. I’m gonna speculate that he’s had enough of people speculating about his career and has decided to call time. There’s been people calling for him to retire for at least 5 years, before the eye surgery at least.
But that doesn’t explain why he’s playing beyond the South Africa tests and only skipping them. He hasn’t just decided to call time, he’s decided to play the games before and after the main event of the summer which he is specifically avoiding.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ross was probably the first player that I’ve followed all the way through from teenage obscurity to international stardom. Still remember listening to the radio commentary of him hockey slogging his way to a run a ball 40 while painting my godmother’s fence on a sunny December afternoon in 2003.

That summer he couldn’t stop scoring runs in the state shield. He was a player who inspired a lot of hope in NZ. At the time, the average age in Fleming’s side was rising ominously and it wasn’t easy to find many players who gave you confidence about the future of NZ cricket, but Ross was the exception. He was of course a bit one dimensional back then, was a bit out of shape and had an over-reliance on the slog sweep, but after his famous partnership with MD Crowe began he rapidly matured into a fine all-round player with all the shots. It was awesome to see him hit the ground running (after a frustrating 3 year wait in the domestic circuit). That ODI hundred vs McGrath and co at Eden Park in 2007 was one of my favourite moments as an nz cricket fan. Another was when he hooked Jimmy Anderson for 6 off his nose a couple of overs after Jimmy had sprinkled Daniel Flynn’s teeth all over the pitch.

I don’t think we ever quite got the best out of Ross the test batsman. He was too badly hurt by his treatment during the 2012 captaincy-gate scandal. Still there were a lot of moments to treasure over the years. My immediate favourite was from this June. Rossco was made to look like a tailender at Lords’, and as he walked out to bat vs a rampant Broad at Edgbaston things seemed barely any different. But somehow he found a way, playing and missing, edging it just wide of the fielders, skewing the ball into the onside for quick singles and very occasionally lashing width away through gully, to make it to stumps. The next morning though, with a bit of confidence in him, it was like time travelling back to 2008. Courageous cover drives, fierce hooks, close calls and cheeky grins. In the span of an hour he took the game permanently out of England’s reach. He didn’t get the hundred but he did secure Nz’s first series win in England in 20 years.

As an ODI bat he’s the NZ GOAT and arguably an ATG top order bat. For the past 6 years in ODI cricket it’s been Kohli, Taylor and then daylight in third. Don’t know if we’ll ever produce another ODI bat of his class again (especially as ODI’s seem to be an increasingly endangered species).

He should’ve called it quits after the WTC, but we pretty much all agree he deserves a victory lap. Hope he locks up that 20th test ton and gets a standing ovation everytime he walks out to bat.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Anyway, champion bloke and one of NZ’s greatest players. As far as I’m concerned, he’s got more right than many before him to decide when it’s time to hang up the boots.
I don't think anyone can earn the right to decide when to go regardless of circumstance. If they aren't the best option for the team I don't care if they've had the career of Bradman they don't deserve to play another game just because of what they've done in the past.

Binkley

U19 Captain
But that doesn’t explain why he’s playing beyond the South Africa tests and only skipping them. He hasn’t just decided to call time, he’s decided to play the games before and after the main event of the summer which he is specifically avoiding.
Here is the great man himself:

“The Australian series is really close and with quarantine and coming back, it’s probably going to be one side that goes to Australia and the test side will stay behind,” Taylor said.

“That’s what made the decision a lot easier. It would have been nice to play against South Africa, but Australia’s a place I’ve always enjoyed… and finishing my career playing one-day cricket which is probably my best format.”

jcas0167

International Debutant
Sad news although it's good crowds will have a chance to show their appreciation to one of NZ's greatest players. It seems like a lifetime ago walking around Colin Maiden Park in 2001 to watch my cousin and my uncle pointed out a 16 year old in the CD under-19 side called Ross Taylor. Apparently he was one of the best players there. Little did I know that he and another guy at that tournament, Brendon McCullum, would have such incredible careers.

Like Bahnz above, I think I next heard about Taylor in 2003 when he started playing for CD. He apparently hit a ball over the RA Vance stand in a Plunket Shield game. I think he could have easily made the Black Caps in 2004 after his batting took CD to a Shell Cup victory.

There are too many highlights to mention, but leading NZ to victory in that Hobart test where he scored a crucial 50 on a green top is one. His power, flair and competitive spirit will live long in the memory and I wish him all the best.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach

“The Australian series is really close and with quarantine and coming back, it’s probably going to be one side that goes to Australia and the test side will stay behind,” Taylor said.

“That’s what made the decision a lot easier. It would have been nice to play against South Africa, but Australia’s a place I’ve always enjoyed… and finishing my career playing one-day cricket which is probably my best format.”
Seems pretty clear the SA tests take precedence, so he’s still either dropped or ‘dropping himself’ either way

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

So probably no Nicholls, Williamson, Conway, Latham, Southee, Boult, Jamieson, Mitchell?/Ravindra for the ODIs in Oz?!

Hope it isn't a slaughter.

Guptill, Taylor, Neesham, Santner, Henry, and Ferguson would be certs

Real chance for some T20 players like Allen, Chapman, and Phillips to play ODIs.

Would be tight between Seifert, Cleaver, and Fletcher for keeper.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
One of NZ’s best ever and glad he gets a home farewell though I really wish he’d quit tests after the WTC final.

Also, I’m pretty surprised he hasn’t carried on in ODIs, he’s been seriously good in the format for years now and still needed for the 2023 WC IMO. It’s in this format which NZ will miss him most in the immediate term you feel.

Last edited:

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer

The Netherlands ODIs are after the SA tests.
He has been dropped or a deal struck.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah it’s weird that he would rather play an ODI series away in Australia than a test series at home against South Africa. There have obviously been discussions and a deal struck. I would have given him the whole summer but the selectors must think he is totally shot and other batsmen have a better chance to score runs.

Like many posters, I wish he’d retired after the world test final but it’s a sad day. Probably my favorite player ever and seems like a great human being.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Although it was not unexpected this is sad news, truly the end of an era. A rare NZ great and seems like a fantastic guy as well.

For me personally, Taylor is almost exactly my age and I joined this forum around the time he debuted for NZ, so he's always been there and has progressed from young guy making his mark to semi-old man in time with myself. I've posted before that Taylor was the starting point for this current side, because it was only a couple of seasons after his test debut that NZ were at the nadir of abso-****ing-uselessness as a batting side and he was the only one, amongst a rotating cast of sub-standard top-6 candidates, to score runs and make a spot his own. Pseudo-opener at 4 and with usually only a couple of all-rounders to form partnerships with, but he succeeded again and again, which then made it easier for other players like Williamson, Watling, Latham etc to slot in around him and bat with someone who knows what they're doing at this level. And a simply excellent ODI player.

It's absolutely time for him in test cricket, though I thought he might hold on to play ODIs for a little longer. Will miss that cut shot, the occasional reappearance of the slog sweep, the old-man run to the boundary when he's occasionally required to move from slip, the tongue stuck out and anticipation of KFC+Grange to celebrate a century, and the comedy running with KW. In the mean time, will enjoy his last summer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The end of an era. My favourite player and one who debuted at exactly the same time as I started following cricket.

It will be strange watching and not seeing the Boss out there. Though as a Kiwi fan in general I think we've seen about as perfect a scenario for taking up the weight of him leaving.

Has really left his mark on NZ sporting culture. Such a legend.