• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Root v Kohli in England v India 2018

Root v Kohli

• Root will do better but Kohli will do well

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Root will do better and Kohli will disappoint again

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Kohli will do better but Root will do well

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Kohli will do better and Root will disappoint (for runs not tonnes)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Both will fail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Miyagi

Banned
So as the India in England series fast approaches, this is an interesting battle between two of the world's leading batsmen.

So which one of these two captains will lead from the front and score the most runs?

Leading into the series, the talk is of Joe Root is unable to convert well, and Kohli's trouble with swing in England 4 years ago.

So who will have the better series - or will both simply disappoint?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You should make another one:

The 2 Miyagi Root v Kohli threads, which one will be more successful?

rparikh14

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a feeling that Kohli will perform better than Root as a batsman - no doubt helped by the hot weather which may mean swing may be less of a factor and since he would be determined to fare better than last time, I reckon he will average 60 to 70 and will be the highest run scorer in the series.

Root, meanwhile, imo will continue to average around 50, but will be overshadowed by Kohli.

As captains though, I do not have faith in Kohli’s selection skills, even though I feel he will inspire his team. Root on the other hand, if England are down, I doubt he will be able to inspire any confidence in his team.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ideal would be Kohli being even more dismal than last time (an average of 7 would be nice), which would do a lot of good for world cricket, and Root passing fifty four times (at least) without going on to score a hundred because it'd be ****ing hilarious.

But I suspect that Kohli will average at least 65 for the series (disappointingly) and we'll get to see his very punchable face plastered all over cricinfo and Root will have a bit of a slide as the captaincy that he is unsuitable for weighs upon him, especially if combined with a move to three (considering he'd be facing the new ball all the time the way England's openers go these days).

trundler

Kohli will do better most probably. Root I think will be adequate but not spectacular.
That's what she said.

Borges

International Regular
I hope Root scores a couple of centuries interspersed with a couple of ducks. In an ideal world, that should be enough to cause the CricketWeb meme crowd to shut up for good. One lives and one hopes.

Don't expect Kohli to be as terrible as he was the last time around; hopefully we would get to see both of them at their best.

Jack1

International Debutant
Kohli is a better bat than Root in all formats in all conditions and the gap between them will continue to grow I reckon.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Judging from the italicised test on the poll options, I was the only person to vote correctly, at this stage in the series. Let's see if Root can improve things, he's got some serious catching up to do. Actually taking catches off Anderson's bowling would also close the gap.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
There might be a place for a player like Root, but this England team clearly isn't one of them. Funnily enough, reckon he'd slot brilliantly into the India team (someone who scores consistently and consistently scores 50 to allow the others to play their natural game?).

On a wider point, however, history will laugh that it was at one stage thought that Root was a 'challenger' for Kohli. Kohli is a better test batsman, and by a considerable margin - nevermind limited overs.

Jack1

International Debutant
There might be a place for a player like Root, but this England team clearly isn't one of them. Funnily enough, reckon he'd slot brilliantly into the India team (someone who scores consistently and consistently scores 50 to allow the others to play their natural game?).

On a wider point, however, history will laugh that it was at one stage thought that Root was a 'challenger' for Kohli. Kohli is a better test batsman, and by a considerable margin - nevermind limited overs.
I agree. I think Root's average will slide sub 50 soon. He's struggling in 2018 and struggles at number 3. However, I think we will probably see Root moved to number 4 for the 4th test.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope Root scores a couple of centuries interspersed with a couple of ducks. In an ideal world, that should be enough to cause the CricketWeb meme crowd to shut up for good. One lives and one hopes.

Don't expect Kohli to be as terrible as he was the last time around; hopefully we would get to see both of them at their best.
I don't feel anyone is interjecting any immature thinking just the case they feel Kohli is an all round better player. Root is good but I feel (IMHO) he needs to start bucking up and showing some leadership with the bat... I don't feel he will get any ducks but needs to put up his share of the runs.

Borges

International Regular
The meme here is that Root scores a lot of fifties, but too few hundreds.

To put that into perspective, Root scores a century once in every 5.54 test matches; which is obviously not as good as players in the Lara class. But his rate of scoring centuries is comparable to that of other batsmen who are considered to be quite good; for example, the Lesser AB scored a century once in every 5.78 test matches.

trundler

The meme here is that Root scores a lot of fifties, but too few hundreds.

To put that into perspective, Root scores a century once in every 5.54 test matches; which is obviously not as good as players in the Lara class. But his rate of scoring centuries is comparable to that of other batsmen who are considered to be quite good; for example, the Lesser AB scored a century once in every 5.78 test matches.
His conversion rate has been dismal since the start of 2016. Not many big scores. Border batted lower down the order.

vcs

Root has had a poor return so far in this series, but he's too good a player not to bounce back. Hope we can keep him down for a couple more games though. :p