• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Root v Kohli in England v India 2018

Root v Kohli

• Root will do better but Kohli will do well

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Root will do better and Kohli will disappoint again

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Kohli will do better but Root will do well

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Kohli will do better and Root will disappoint (for runs not tonnes)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Both will fail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But has there ever been a batsmen as hyped as Root, who in fairness seemed to justify the hype for a period (unlike people like Ramps and Hick)? As I said, people were already hyping him up as one of the greats, discussing him among names like Hobbs and Hammond. Well, that just seems a long way off now.

I'm not arguing he is a ''less than good'', or even ''less than great'' test batsmen by the way - he clearly is very talented - just that we have had to reevaluate him with a larger dose of realism.
That argument is like saying Wayne Rooney is useless because he didn't match up to Messi and Ronaldo when as a teenager he looked like he might have done.

Root is the best batsman we have had in 40 years, comfortably.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
That argument is like saying Wayne Rooney is useless because he didn't match up to Messi and Ronaldo when as a teenager he looked like he might have done.

Root is the best batsman we have had in 40 years, comfortably.
Yes but the thing is Root was being discussed of in cricket's ''Messi/Ronaldo'' category just three years' ago - remember the ''Kohli v Root v Williamson v Smith'' thingy?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
At the start of the series Kohli and Root were ranked the 2nd and 3rd best test batsmen on the planet. Now they are nos 1 and 5 respectively, and if Pujara gets another big score (and Root continues to struggle), JR could drop to number 6.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
One hopes that Root rounds into form at some point. This series needs him to step up for England, or the whole rivalry with Kohli angle will end up a damp squib

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root got run out twice (his fault but it's different) and Kohli was dropped in both his high scores. So, Root hasn't done that badly compared strictly on a batting skills basis.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The only active players in the world who have played decent number of tests and average over 50 currently. Yes, it is still a thing.
That has absolutely nothing to do with Fab 4.

That's a bit like saying there's a Fab 3 of spinners - Warne, Murali and Kumble given they are the only 3 players with over 600 wickets.

No.

AB was playing until March this year, averaging over 50 and I didn't hear this particular definition of Fab 4 then nor when Vogues was averaging 61.

Fab 4 had a very specific notion of these 4 players starting around the same time, long before they even started averaging 50 or being the best batsmen in their sides.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fab 4 had a very specific notion of these 4 players starting around the same time, long before they even started averaging 50 or being the best batsmen in their sides.
Yes, exactly.

So I'm not sure why you say Fab Four isn't a thing anymore? They'll still be the Fab Four even if Root scores ducks for the rest of his life, because it was a nickname given to this specific set of cricketers.

I get your point that Root is slipping down the order compared to the other 3 of course.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yes, exactly.

So I'm not sure why you say Fab Four isn't a thing anymore? They'll still be the Fab Four even if Root scores ducks for the rest of his life, because it was a nickname given to this specific set of cricketers.

I get your point that Root is slipping down the order compared to the other 3 of course.
Slipping down the order compared to Smith and Kohli anyway.

Williamson and Root seem to be stagnating a bit, albeit, Williamson is playing frustratingly little test match cricket at the moment which is probably the reason for this impression. Still, they are certainly the 3rd and 4th best batsmen in international cricket at the moment. Just that Kolhi and Smith are doing significantly better.

I mean, it's probably a bit harsh to an extent how Root and Williamson are always compared to Smith and Kohli. One who averages 60 in test cricket, and is statistically one of the all time greats at the moment, as can also be said of the other, who averages 50 across all formats. Both Root and William average just above 50 in tests, which is still exceptional. Both are a couple years younger so who says they can't eventually hit similar peaks of form anyway.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Slipping down the order compared to Smith and Kohli anyway.

Williamson and Root seem to be stagnating a bit, albeit, Williamson is playing frustratingly little test match cricket at the moment which is probably the reason for this impression. Still, they are certainly the 3rd and 4th best batsmen in international cricket at the moment. Just that Kolhi and Smith are doing significantly better.

I mean, it's probably a bit harsh to an extent how Root and Williamson are always compared to Smith and Kohli. One who averages 60 in test cricket, and is statistically one of the all time greats at the moment, as can also be said of the other, who averages 50 across all formats. Both Root and William average just above 50 in tests, which is still exceptional. Both are a couple years younger so who says they can't eventually hit similar peaks of form anyway.
Williamson averages 63 in the past 4 years and has scored test centuries away/neutral against everyone except South Africa. He is better than a low 50 player. NZ will be playing more tests in the next couple of years, so I expect that average to rise