• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Robert Key to replace Butcher?

tooextracool

International Coach
to be honest, i had the question mark on him even right after the 221 was scored, i think you will see that clearly in the eng-wi thread. but there were plenty of other people who felt that he was already the perfect batsman with the perfect technique.

tooextracool

International Coach
agreed but for key to retain his place in the side he needed to impress in massive proportions.he hasnt done that.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
further proof of how much of the cricket you actually watch. if you had indeed watched that innings you would have seen clearly that key was poking at absolutely everything that collins bowled that went away from him. it came as no surprise when he finally got a knick on one.
I never said it was brilliant, it was okay. Yes, he was pokey outside off, but he did play some good shots too.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
The question marks will always be there...I think now he is in the side, a winning side, we may as well leave him in until the end of the series. Can't change a winning side and all that...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
agreed but for key to retain his place in the side he needed to impress in massive proportions.he hasnt done that.
Do you not call 221 in a test innings massive...and he's only had one test after that, cut him some slack. Did Butcher not have tests when he made two low scores or got out softly?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The point is, he was in many ways fortunate to make that Lords score, and since then has had 3 soft dismissals, whereas with Butcher we know pretty much what we're going to be getting.

It is a tough call, but that is what the selectors are paid for!

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Personally I think he will be a one hit wonder. Butcher is a far better player, and more consistant. I don't buy the excuse 'that he was batting at #5 against the Aussies, when is is an opener', top order batsman should be able to bat anywhere.

I don't think his mental ability is that great like everyone was saying after the Aussie series, he got out to poor bowlers like Martyn and Waugh. He looks to be a little suspect outside off stump at times, and I thought Styris wasn't good looking...

tooextracool

International Coach
steds said:
Do you not call 221 in a test innings massive...and he's only had one test after that, cut him some slack. Did Butcher not have tests when he made two low scores or got out softly?
err no.....if key was going to replace a proven test batsman he needed to impress in more than just 1 innings out of 4 and in the conditions in which he batted on its not exactly brilliant either. 3 failures out of 4 doesnt make you undroppable and im sure there are plenty of question marks already about whether he is good enough to play for england.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I never said it was brilliant, it was okay. Yes, he was pokey outside off, but he did play some good shots too.
the 2 inngs on the whole were scratchy and he looked susceptible....thats the last thing you want to do when you need to replace a proven test batsman.....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
True, but even though he was lucky and all, I'd still find it hard to drop someone who's just made 221.

That said, I agree that Butcher should return now, as he is a far more proven batsman.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Butcher slashes at too much outside the off stump for my liking, as does Key but Key has the time to change Butcher IMO doesn't, he'll go after the Ashes. Key has a chance but my top six post ashes would be

Tresco/Key
Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Peitersen
Flintoff

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone willing to scrap either Butcher or Thorpe after The Ashes needs their heads examining.
There is no sign that either of them are coming to the end of their Test-careers.
WRT Key, I think what's happened is the best thing that could have happened - one massive score, but not totally convincing at any time - Butcher should return, and hasn't lost his place without deserving to - but Key is by no means out of the picture the way he almost certainly would have been had Gayle taken that catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Macka said:
I don't buy the excuse 'that he was batting at #5 against the Aussies, when is is an opener', top order batsman should be able to bat anywhere.
Not true.
There are very few openers who have made a success of batting in the middle.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Anyone willing to scrap either Butcher or Thorpe after The Ashes needs their heads examining.
There is no sign that either of them are coming to the end of their Test-careers.
i think most people believe that thorpe will retire after the ashes....nobody in their right mind would drop thorpe.
as far as butcher is concerned, the only way i would consider dropping him is if pieterson happens to live up to his reputation and if butcher continues to drop catches and not convert 50s to 100s