• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Patterson is the worst non-selection. He really should be in the team, let alone the squad.

You're trying way too hard to paint him as a victim of some tragic conspiracy. The bloke just isn't that good.
He did the same when Renshaw wasn't being picked despite averaging negative in the Shield

It's all well and good to think that Burns is as good an option, or even slightly better, than Harris or Bancroft. It's the idea that he's comfortably better in any way that's laughable.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I'll give Burns this though, the one big advantage he has over the likes of Harris & Bancroft, and also the main reason he has stats that compete with them, is that he goes big when batting is easy. It's absolutely true to point out that he's had an easy run, but that doesn't change the fact that when conditions were easy he didn't throw it away and really made the most of it. However he's gone completely missing virtually every time there was an actual challenge to the batsmen.

If we get an absolute road, and England are fielding a 2nd string attack because of injuries, I might rather have Burns out there. But I don't expect that to be the case this series.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll give Burns this though, the one big advantage he has over the likes of Harris & Bancroft, and also the main reason he has stats that compete with them, is that he goes big when batting is easy. It's absolutely true to point out that he's had an easy run, but that doesn't change the fact that when conditions were easy he didn't throw it away and really made the most of it. However he's gone completely missing virtually every time there was an actual challenge to the batsmen.

If we get an absolute road, and England are fielding a 2nd string attack because of injuries, I might rather have Burns out there. But I don't expect that to be the case this series.
As opposed to Harris, who throws it away regardless of conditions (Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra being examples where he could have scored a century on a flat pitch but didn't).

Burgey

Okay the road to the ashes as been too much with the sacking of Burns and Pattersen so I'm now joining the Barmy Army.

First T-shirt is "Langer's a Wanker" (although he's not worthy of Aussie's famous cry) 2nd is "Bancroft, Harris and Marsh....Langer's Boys know how to suck"
Clever stuff. Much brilliance.

Burgey

^Burgey can we have a ruling on Jedibrah repetitive posting of absolute **** about Burns?
I’m trying to decide whether to report that line of posting of FJ’s use of the word “crims” which is plainly trolling and designed to harass/ insult other posters.

Will report both.

TheJediBrah

As opposed to Harris, who throws it away regardless of conditions (Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra being examples where he could have scored a century on a flat pitch but didn't).
Well yes that's pretty much what I'm saying. Harris will **** up even when conditions are batting friendly, because he'll do something dumb. Burns will just be flat-out useless though if the ball moves off the straight. I'd back Harris (only out of desperation mind you) in the sort of conditions I expect.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Just to show how times have changed (and not for the better), today in 1972 was the First Day of the 4th Test. A good day it was too with Derek Underwood making the ball jump and spit after lunch due to fungus getting on the pitch. Of course things have to move on and it’s right that they do, but that’s no excuse for the scheduling of this summer.

Burgey

What a ****ing disgrace that match was. As Benaud said, the rest of ground was pristine sward, it just happened to get into the 22 years Underwood was recalled to bowl on.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I waited ages for cummins to get back after injury and what a revelation he's been. Hope Pattinson does the same.

Burgey

It really does say something about the batting line ups that Usman Khawaja looks like being a pivotal player in the series

Burgey

I agree he'll probably average about 23 for the series, which will put him ahead of all of England's top order by a discernible margin

TheJediBrah

Remember when Khawaja was given out caught behind off Swann in 2013 and then reviewed it, but it stayed out even though he missed it by a foot

Last edited: