• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting's XI to play Australia

bagapath

International Captain
wonder why allan donald is not there. could be because he was never a great success against austrlia? a bowling attack consisting of akram - ambrose - murali - donald - flintoff - kallis is more than a handful anywhere against anyone. pollock in place of donald doesnt necessarily weaken it, i admit. but... donald at least deserved a mention. spot on team selection otherwise

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Loving the Australian headline :

RICKY Ponting does not think any member of the current England squad is worthy of a place in his top XI international players of the decade.
Seriously???

wonder why allan donald is not there. could be because he was never a great success against austrlia? a bowling attack consisting of akram - ambrose - murali - donald - flintoff - kallis is more than a handful anywhere against anyone. pollock doesxnt necessarily weaken it, i admit. but... donald at least deserved a mention. spot on team selection otherwise
Ponting has been very diplomatic in his choices and made sure most countries were covered.

Spark

Global Moderator
Loving the Australian headline :

Seriously???
Well, would you pick KP over Sachin/Lara/Sanga? And it's not like the reverse isn't mostly true, Ponting himself would be the only really obvious choice from our current XI to go into a 2000s XI.

Last edited:
Well, would you pick KP over Sachin/Lara/Sanga? And it's not like the reverse isn't mostly true, Ponting himself would be the only really obvious choice from our current XI to go into a 2000s XI.
Do you think its that or a little jab before the ashes.

Sir Alex

Banned
I wouldn't! Am saying what a silly headline...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Punter would make a good selector, I feel ... Good choices and solid reasoning. He has kept it simple and straightforward.. :) gr8 work.

kingkallis

International Coach
Did you read the article? Ponting found the two of them hard to split. Had Vass made it into the side it could have created days of discussion.
Did you check the team carefully?

Akram is already there - why would you wanna add one more lefty?

Also lefty or not - Polly > Vaas, if not Polly >>>>> Vaas

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Did you check the team carefully?

Akram is already there - why would you wanna add one more lefty?

Also lefty or not - Polly > Vaas, if not Polly >>>>> Vaas
I'm not disputing that Pollock is far superior to Vass, the majority (including Ponting) view it that way. I just found it interesting that Ponting could hardly split the two, and it would have made the team far more interesting had he selected Vass.

8 out of 10 people would select the same side as Ponting (or close too). I prefer to read an article that challenges traditional views, not simply states the obvious.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ponting could not pick Vaas, Laxman or Harbhajan because they were part of the scorecards he was given for his turn.

bagapath

International Captain
If this team played the best aussie xi of punter's time then it would produce a cracking game. (i am trying to not remember the world xi vs australia "test" match)

best of australia post 1995

hayden
langer
ponting
martyn
hussey
s.waugh (c)
gilchrist (wk)
warne
lee
gillespie
mcgrath