• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retirement thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
SA tour of 2010-11 when Steyn was at peak was a good one for Gambhir. It was a short peak anyway. Had notable performances in NZ and SA helping Indian win and draw the series respectively. Was ranked #1 test batsmen too which is no mean achievement.

slippy888

International Captain
I would rate Gambhir in the top 20 batsman of all time, the guy deserved a better send off than a lazy retirement thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
And on the topic, the worst pure batsman to play Ranji for a long time retired yesterday. Jaydev Shah, son of Niranjan Shah, played for about 15 years in Ranji purely due to influence from his father. As a pure batsman, he averages less than 30 in FC and 20ish in List A. Also, got into 4 IPL teams in 4 different seasons by influence.

cnerd123

likes this
And on the topic, the worst pure batsman to play Ranji for a long time retired yesterday. Jaydev Shah, son of Niranjan Shah, played for about 15 years in Ranji purely due to influence from his father. As a pure batsman, he averages less than 30 in FC and 20ish in List A. Also, got into 4 IPL teams in 4 different seasons by influence.
Seems like he was an Indian Mike Brearley going off his Cricinfo profile.

Ulzan69

Banned
Dinesh Mongia with 57 ODI For India retired from All cricket.21 Century in FC cricket never played test cricket but he will remembered for his 159 vs Zimbabwe in a Decider in ODI at Guwathi.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Marcus Trescothick retires today aged 43 after about 26 years of first class cricket. I saw a bit of him early on at a time when County Cricket was just about still worth watching before all the top players stopped playing. He never really looked like he was destined to average over 40 in Test Cricket, then had his career cut short by illness.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marcus Trescothick retires today aged 43 after about 26 years of first class cricket. I saw a bit of him early on at a time when County Cricket was just about still worth watching before all the top players stopped playing. He never really looked like he was destined to average over 40 in Test Cricket, then had his career cut short by illness.
One of my favorite English cricketers of the early 2000s. That knock in that infamous Natwest Trophy was iconic.
I'm back after a month off the forum.
Welcome back slippy, don't slip up like that again :)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a bloody long career. Surprised he didn't come a bit closer to the 100 hundreds

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Loved watching him play. One of the few English players who impressed me in those times. Good luck to him!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems like he was an Indian Mike Brearley going off his Cricinfo profile.
He is now Saurashtra president while Srini mama's daughter is now Tamilnadu president. Hate these generation politics taking over in cricket too.