• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Restructuring the Australian summer

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just read an article from Malcolm Knox regarding the structure of the Australian summer and thought it was worthy of some discussion

Cricket needs to sack its scriptwriters after a wasted January

With the importance of ODIs waning, it definitely feels strange to have all the test matches over by the beginning of January. Furthermore, if they restructure the season a little better, there would be an opportunity for more tour games as I think the public has spoken with regards to one sided affairs.

With attendance figures and TV ratings remaining fairly stagnant for the Big bash this season, hopefully talks of expansion will abate.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure about the idea of tests going deep into January. Mostly because the pitches played like the matches were being held at the start of March. Surely they couldn't get any worse?

Anyone remember the last time a February test was played?

The problem with sticking the JAMODIs first is that they remain just as meaningless but have worse attendance. Anyone remember that South Africa series a few years back, where the MCG held a grand total of about 7,000?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
There's very little in that article I found persuasive. It just sounded like a list of cliche whinges about cricket (Test cricket is fading from public consciousness, can't remember who won a T20 match the following day, ODI's are irrelevant etc...) from someone jaded after decades of following the game as a journo and thinking their mindset reflects that of the general public.

He even brings out the strawman argument of how Sheffield Shield matches are being eclipsed by the footy. Wow, what a shock that is. There haven't been big crowds to Sheffield Shield cricket for many decades and to suggest one of it's prime functions is to compete for interest with footy is nonsense.

ODIs seem to be loathed by fans and media alike and no one loses popularity by mocking them and questioning their relevance outside World Cups. But I think they still serve a function in the Australian summer; They're never going to get the crowds they did in the 80s/90s at the MCG because T20 has come onto the scene but in the modern context I thought the crowds this summer (Adelaide excepted) were pretty good. And they still deliver very strong TV ratings.

The one good point Knox makes is why the Oz media become obsessed with covering the IPL auction in such detail when it's not even broadcast in Oz and very few cricket fans would follow it in detail. It just seems an excuse for the media types to drool over big money.

But overall I thought the article was a waste of time.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I never watch the customary ''end of test series fag-end one-dayers'' but I would actually watch the one-dayers if they proceeded the tests as I would want to see the form of the cross-format players.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
If they were played pre the one-dayers a certainty that multiple players would be rested from them, which just damages the format further. I reckon it would be a certainty that the likes of Starc & Cummins wouldn't have participated if they were played in the leadup to the Ashes.

S.Kennedy

Well from an English perspective we'd have seen Root, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes. And I know the differences in formats is continuously stressed but an one-day series would have been better preparation for the tests than the second eleven dross that was served up this time. I would have watched them regardless whereas I do not watch them when they follow the tests.

Gnske

Chris, old mate. Brethren. Take a seat, boss.

We all have secrets, don't we? She that is without sin, let her cast the first stone? Jah rule, mon. Come in close and I'll tell you mine.

Brethren, I couldn't understand what you were saying.

I didn't take offence when you were charming ole sparkly eyes, because me didn't have the foggiest idea what was comin' out you mouth. Is you even speaking English? Me rasta brethren too – me spend seven days and six nights on a Qantas Holiday at Negril one time – so me jive talk better than any white man, cha! But the Universe Boss go too fast even for the I. So no offence taken!

Starfighter

Chris, old mate. Brethren. Take a seat, boss.

We all have secrets, don't we? She that is without sin, let her cast the first stone? Jah rule, mon. Come in close and I'll tell you mine.

Brethren, I couldn't understand what you were saying.

I didn't take offence when you were charming ole sparkly eyes, because me didn't have the foggiest idea what was comin' out you mouth. Is you even speaking English? Me rasta brethren too – me spend seven days and six nights on a Qantas Holiday at Negril one time – so me jive talk better than any white man, cha! But the Universe Boss go too fast even for the I. So no offence taken!
Okay...

stephen

I agree that the summer needs a shake up. T20 and ODI cricket can be used as an appetizer to lead us into the main course of tests. The Big Bash can run in the evening after the tests which gives an all day cricket schedule which is awesome.

It makes no sense having the ODD comp run two months before the ODI comp either. Get us into the summer with the short stuff, bringing in the casual fans and then expose them to the meatier main course cricket.

It's harder getting my wife interested in cricket when the short, introductory stuff is played after the tests because I can't introduce her into the sport in a way that is more natural - whet the appetite with the thrilling run chases and then expose her to the beauty of Smith grinding out a huge ton later.

burr

State Vice-Captain
You 100 per cent need to have test cricket later into January. An australia day test match at the adelaide oval should become the norm.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How much of Perth being not Perth recently is because it's played before January. There needs to be tests in January. Has to be. I am really ****ed up when Sydney is the last test.

S.Kennedy

There is a mammoth England-Australian one-day series in this upcoming English summer and it may just be the most pointless series ever.

Starfighter

How much of Perth being not Perth recently is because it's played before January.
Perth was plenty Perth when tests were held at about the same time as they are now in the seventies, or when the Windies belted us there in November 1984. It's a preparation thing.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yeah, fair enough. I didn't really have a point except for lamenting how difficult it is when there is no cricket in January.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They really need to start moving the domestic comps (SS and Matador, not Big Bash) to larger regional cities, and developing the family, carnival type of atmosphere. Food trucks, craft beers etc. ****, maybe even a few rides for the kids.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They really need to start moving the domestic comps (SS and Matador, not Big Bash) to larger regional cities, and developing the family, carnival type of atmosphere. Food trucks, craft beers etc. ****, maybe even a few rides for the kids.
So not playing at all the main grounds?

S.Kennedy

They should make sure the tests and the domestic twenty20 coincide as the chances of twenty20 merchants being yanked away for test duty are slimmer than it would be for limited over internationals. Probably fans of the domestic twenty20 would be more inclined to watch an ODI or a T20I also, rather than a test, so there is less viewing conflict.

watson

Banned
I agree that this summer’s itinerary was pretty bad as it was difficult to sustain interest.

On-the-other-hand I think that womens cricket got things right by starting with an ODI Entre and Test Match Main-Course before finishing with a T20 ice-cream Dessert.

Even better was that all three formats were counted as part of the Ashes contest so that ODI and T20 games became more meaningful.

How does it work?

The Commonwealth Bank Women’s Ashes is contested across all three formats, with the team that gains the most points awarded the trophy. Australia and England will play seven matches in total – three ODIs, one day-night Test and three T20Is. Each limited-overs win is worth two points (one point if the game is a tie or abandoned), while the winner of the Test will walk away with four points (two points each if drawn). This system was introduced in 2013, meaning this is the fourth Ashes to be played under these rules.*

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...n-stars-multi-format-points-system/2017-10-21
In mens cricket it would be hard to incorporate ODI and T20 games into the Ashes contest for historical reasons stretching back 140 years. But admin could easily combine ODI and T20 games to create some kind of Limited Over Trophy.

That is, the LO Trophy would be awarded to the team with the most points after 3 x ODIs and 4 x T20s.