• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rest of the World XIs to play Australia

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would still totally oppose the idea of picking the side based purely on statistics and thats not just because im showing bias towards Stephen Fleming, there are a number of other players e.g. Flintoff as the all-rounder.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't consider Shoaib a bowler at all and I don't see how the ICC can
Mate, this topic has been discussed over & over again and sometimes to the point where things have gotten out of control. The ICC say he's a legal bowler so thats the end of it.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Clearly you weren't watching the same series. I don't think I'm being biased when I say that Lara didn't really do much wrong in that series. He gave his bowlers attacking fields early on, showing good improvisation, but the bowlers simply did not bowl to the fields. Therefore, what choice does he have when the bowlers are largely bowling crap and the score is 400+ for 3 or 4 wickets?
Your spot on. But they did pick some pretty crap bowlers as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
Mate, this topic has been discussed over & over again and sometimes to the point where things have gotten out of control. The ICC say he's a legal bowler so thats the end of it.
I'm still allowed to express my opinion. Last time I checked, I don't have to agree with the ICC. That said, I really don't want this to escalate into a discussion as to the legality of his action, I was just making a point.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Your spot on. But they did pick some pretty crap bowlers as well.
The only crappy bowler who they picked IMO was Bernard. Aside from him, they picked bowlers who bowled crap, not necessarily crappy bowlers...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry Liam, but you & I both know what kind of arguments that topic creates.

Langeveldt

Soutie
My two cents

1. G Smith (cpt)
2. H Gibbs
3. S Tendulkar
4. J Kallis
5. R Dravid
6. S Chanderpaul
7. M Boucher
8. S Pollock
9. H Singh
10. S Mushtaq
11. S Bond

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Picking Flintoff? What are you mad? The only likely result when he is bowling is the umpire signalling the fours and sixes off his bowling when bowling to Ponting or Gilchrist.

Flintoff simply lacks the ability to pitch the ball up.

Harbhajan would only be worth selecting on spinner friendly wickets as that is where he will be effective - like all finger spinners.
For once I agree with you.

Flintoff is improving every game he play's and is now a very importiant member of the England team but his bowling is just not penitrive enough to take any wickets against Australia and his batting is good but nothing special.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Is Alec Stewart eligible for selection Marc?
It should be current players.
I was looking at the keepers around, and to be honest, none of them really inspired me with confidence (I mean Boucher's in a very bad trot, and after him?)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Picking Flintoff? What are you mad?
No, quite sane thanks - on current form, he warrents a place as a number 6/7 and 4th seamer IMO.

That's the whole idea of a debate I thought, for different people to make different suggestions and discuss them?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I would still totally oppose the idea of picking the side based purely on statistics and thats not just because im showing bias towards Stephen Fleming, there are a number of other players e.g. Flintoff as the all-rounder.
Sorry Tim, are you saying that you would pick Flintoff in spite of statistics or you wouldn't in spite of them?

I'm confused here, but think you're agreeing with me?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Flintoff is improving every game he play's and is now a very importiant member of the England team but his bowling is just not penitrive enough to take any wickets against Australia and his batting is good but nothing special.
Funny how those that actually saw him perform rate him, and those 10000 miles away slate him...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Funny how those that actually saw him perform rate him, and those 10000 miles away slate him...
Yeah also funny how I dont see anyone else picking in him there sides. Your always on my case for supposedly being "bias" your no better at all.

He is an economical bowler and a good middle order batsman overall he is quite good but there are a few players ahead of him at this stage.

And this team is supposed to be based on a team that would beat Australia Flinfoff has yet to play a test against us.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
My two cents

1. G Smith (cpt)
2. H Gibbs
3. S Tendulkar
4. J Kallis
5. R Dravid
6. S Chanderpaul
7. M Boucher
8. S Pollock
9. H Singh
10. S Mushtaq
11. S Bond
Chanders has been in top form, but surely Lara gets the nod ahead of him...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
And this team is supposed to be based on a team that would beat Australia Flinfoff has yet to play a test against us.
Where'd you get that from?

It is not nased on games vs. Australia, it is a RoW XI.

Can you suggest a more in-form option as number 6/7 batsman and 4th Seamer then (bearing in mind that it is specifically that sort of role that's needed)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lets see what the PwC Ratings think:

Mark Richardson
Herschelle Gibbs
*Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Jacques Kallis
+Kumar Sangakkara
Shaun Pollock
Harbhajan Singh
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan

Rich2001

International Captain
Eclipse said:
If his never played agaist you guys, you can't say he would be ineffective, just like we can''t say he would smack a 50 ball ton and take 7/25!

Marc is working his players on how they have performed of late, not just vs Australia - Just remember players like Bond, H.Singh etc who did do well vs Australia have only played you once, so until they have played more games and in all conditions I wouldn't call them consistant perfromers vs Australia

If we are going on consistant performers vs Australia wheres M.Butcher? in the form of his live, scored tons vs you both in England and in Australia :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah im agreeing with you Marc, I think really the only options for all-rounders at this point of time are Kallis & Flintoff..and despite Flintoffs stats, I think he's good enough to play in this type of team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Yeah im agreeing with you Marc, I think really the only options for all-rounders at this point of time are Kallis & Flintoff..and despite Flintoffs stats, I think he's good enough to play in this type of team.
I assume you mean "batting all-rounders" since Shaun Pollock is still an option!

As you can see, I think there would be a place for all 3 in a RoW XI at the moment, especially since they all are in form, and in effect add an extra 1.5-2 players to the standard 11!

Craig

World Traveller
Actually Marc, it is more like 12,000 miles from England to Australia.

Anyway, what difference does it make seeing him play in England at the ground or watching it live on pay-TV on the other side of the world?