• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rawalpindi Express derailed

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Choora said:
Did Akhtar ever said that it was wrong of Waseem to help Indian pacers?

Basically here you are attacking all Pakistani young bowlers, i guess you took Akram's interview far too seriously.I can identify one man in Mohd Khaleel who asked for Akram's help but was turned down as Akram was busy with other assignment. Besides if Pakistan's young players aren't getting Akram's guidence then maybe its good for them.Akram maybe a great bowler but also happen to be a very corrupt person, his influence on young players can be very harming.
Not really. But then one wonders when will the time come when the now almost senior bowler in a way, Mohammad Sami will start delivering. He has been promising for too long now. About Shoaib not shortening his run-up, well he is 29 years old now and has a long history of so called 'break downs and injuries', which is looking ridiculous now. The bloke has missed more tests to injuries then he has played in the last 3 years, now which is why he should shorten his run up, to survive longer and be able to bowl longer. Not because Imran is asking him to BUT because he NEEDSs to if he wants to be test bowler for Pakistan in the next 5 years of bowling he has got left in him.

Lets face it after 30 not many fast bowlers with his level of fitness survive for long and things can only get worse for him! Or maybe you want to see his stats of the last 5-7 years of his career read something like this, for example:

Shoaib Akhter: Tests played 18. Tests missed to injuries: 28.

:dry: :blink:

Last edited:

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Its not all that simple, Afridi doesn't have the temperament nor the brains to become a test batter. The fault lied with the then coach who should have realised that earlier.
He is very entertaining though. Only problem is, he bats like he has a few days to live. He is a good player, You have to admit it, but he does need to work on his temperament.

Choora

State Regular
Vikas Bhatt said:
Not really. But then one wonders when will the time come when the now almost senior bowler in a way, Mohammad Sami will start delivering.
:dry:
So ????????? What is your point? Sami is crap like i have always said but why mention Sami over here? And please don't say that the guy is not delivering coz he isn't listening to former greats.

About Shoaib not shortening his run-up, well he is 29 years old now and has a long history of so called 'break downs and injuries', which is looking ridiculous now. The bloke has missed more tests to injuries then he has played in the last 3 years, now which is why he should shorten his run up, to survive longer and be able to bowl longer. Not because Imran is asking him to BUT because he NEEDSs to if he wants to be test bowler for Pakistan in the next 5 years of bowling he has got left in him.
He knows what he needs better than you and i do, the sooner we get this the better. Akhtar HAD TRIED to bowl with a shorten runup and guess WHAT? he was criticized by Australian players for not performing well.The guy simply can't deliver with a shorten runup. Akhtar knows his career will be short, there is not much one can do about it.

Also Inzi was saying before the VB final that Akhtar should shorten his runup coz he consume lot of time why bowling which can end up in Pak being trouble. BUt guess what, Akhtar didn't played the final, and yet Pak did get into trouble for their overrates!!!!

And i'm dead sure had Akhtar been in the side and Inzi been thrown out of the second final for slow overrates, he would have made put all the blame on Akhtar.

Choora

State Regular
amokk1 said:
He is very entertaining though. Only problem is, he bats like he has a few days to live. He is a good player, You have to admit it, but he does need to work on his temperament.
He has talent, but one simply cannot expect him to bat like a test batsman. He can be a useful lower order batsman in onedayer, i give credit to Bob for understanding that and utilizing Afridi appropriately

deeps

International 12th Man
the reason akram doesn't encourage pathan, as much as he does shoaib, is that pathan has showed a willingness to listen AND THEN make changes

shoiab and his run up...................

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
You mean,

Shoaib and his runup..................................................................................................... :p

Vikas Bhatt

Choora said:
So ????????? What is your point? Sami is crap like i have always said but why mention Sami over here? And please don't say that the guy is not delivering coz he isn't listening to former greats.

He knows what he needs better than you and i do, the sooner we get this the better. Akhtar HAD TRIED to bowl with a shorten runup and guess WHAT? he was criticized by Australian players for not performing well.The guy simply can't deliver with a shorten runup. Akhtar knows his career will be short, there is not much one can do about it.

Also Inzi was saying before the VB final that Akhtar should shorten his runup coz he consume lot of time why bowling which can end up in Pak being trouble. BUt guess what, Akhtar didn't played the final, and yet Pak did get into trouble for their overrates!!!!

And i'm dead sure had Akhtar been in the side and Inzi been thrown out of the second final for slow overrates, he would have made put all the blame on Akhtar.

Frankly, I never said, that Sami is crap because he didn't approach Wasim. All I said is that it's time he started delivering and if PCB believes he is a good enough bowler to be in the side despite his many failures than maybe it is high time he started looking up some senior bowlers and see where he has been going wrong. Just how wrong would that be?

Regarding Akhter whether he should shorten his run up or no is another issue but his so called long run up is the result of more of his self delusions of grandeur of trying to be the fastest in the world over anything called team interest. The other day when asked about why he ran that fast, he idiotically commented saying he enjoyed running in like a 'plane taking off'. All this time, how much good did it do for him trying to break the 100mph barrier, while his team kept losing matches after matches? If Australian players criticize his short run up then why should it bother Akhter as anyways Australians are always playing psychological mind games to undermine their oppositions' best players? Does Akhter think that what the Australian players think of him is more important than what the PCB, his captain and his coach expect of him?

And if he is destined for a short career, then wouldn't it be prudent if he stopped playing if he knows that truth in the interest of his team and his country? I mean whats the point of selecting a bowler again and again, who will not observe discipline, won't listen to his board, captain and coach, will play a match, break down then limp out for the next two, thereby upseting the team's selection, rythmn, plans and balance all the time? Does it make sense then to invest so much in terms of money, infrastructure, facilities, trainers, consultants, team performances etc., to retain just one individual who does not justify the returns expected at the minimal after all the work put behind him? Look at Sachin Tendulkar of India. He was the most aggressive player of the Indian team and the world arguably, for well over a decade but now he has taken away the aggressiveness and cut the risks in his batting, to prolong his career and serve the team interest longer. No one obliged him to stop playing the way he did, but if a player expresses an interest in serving his country and board for a longer duration, then he should stop chasing personal milestones, re-adapt his game and re-approach his batting or bowling with maturity over an aggessive streak that never learns anything. Even Sanath Jayasurya plays with more responsibilty now and has re-worked his game to help his team's cause more and to play the senior role he has with more responsibilty. With maturity, most batsman and bowlers who were great have re-assessed their games and re-invented it with age to really hit peak performances after 30. Ambrose and Walsh both bowled for so long despite Walsh's fragile fitness by cutting up on the pace and striving to be accurate in both line and length.

Only Shoaib could have arrogantly stated that he alone wins matches while the remaining 10 do nothing in the team. If he feels p i s s e d off that Wasim encourages Irfan and praises him and not Shoaib, then there is something seriously wrong with as it reveals his bitterness about Wasim, NOT PRAISING HIM. Wasim in the past has always supported and stuck by Shoaib, but Mr. Akhter has done very little on his part to keep that faith going, except being a showboat, whose sole interest has been seeking personal glory in setting the speedometers on fire! Shoaib has become too big for his own boots, to the point where he sees only his own self and has lost sight of what he means to his own team. It's time to finally cut him down to size.Perhaps it will be better for Pakistan cricket if he is dropped altogether from playing for Pakistan. If he is not going to have a long career like yous ay Choora, then the PCB should also recognize and accept this fact and move on and groom a long term prospect in Shoaib's place rather than waste expensive resources over the Prima Donna Showman!

Last edited:

Vikas Bhatt

deeps said:
the reason akram doesn't encourage pathan, as much as he does shoaib, is that pathan has showed a willingness to listen AND THEN make changes

Is this what you wanted to say:

the reason akram doesn't encourage shoaib, as much as he does pathan, is that pathan has showed a willingness to listen AND THEN make changes

8-)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Vikas Bhatt said:
Frankly, I never said, that Sami is crap because he didn't approach Wasim. All I said is that it's time he started delivering and if PCB believes he is a good enough bowler to be in the side despite his many failures than maybe it is high time he started looking up some senior bowlers and see where he has been going wrong. Just how wrong would that be?

Regarding Akhter whether he should shorten his run up or no is another issue but his so called long run up is the result of more of his self delusions of grandeur of trying to be the fastest in the world over anything called team interest. The other day when asked about why he ran that fast, he idiotically commented saying he enjoyed running in like a 'plane taking off'. All this time, how much good did it do for him trying to break the 100mph barrier, while his team kept losing matches after matches? If Australian players criticize his short run up then why should it bother Akhter as anyways Australians are always playing psychological mind games to undermine their oppositions' best players? Does Akhter think that what the Australian players think of him is more important than what the PCB, his captain and his coach expect of him?

And if he is destined for a short career, then wouldn't it be prudent if he stopped playing if he knows that truth in the interest of his team and his country? I mean whats the point of selecting a bowler again and again, who will not observe discipline, won't listen to his board, captain and coach, will play a match, break down then limp out for the next two, thereby upseting the team's selection, rythmn, plans and balance all the time? Does it make sense then to invest so much in terms of money, infrastructure, facilities, trainers, consultants, team performances etc., to retain just one individual who does not justify the returns expected at the minimal after all the work put behind him? Look at Sachin Tendulkar of India. He was the most aggressive player of the Indian team and the world arguably, for well over a decade but now he has taken away the aggressiveness and cut the risks in his batting, to prolong his career and serve the team interest longer. No one obliged him to stop playing the way he did, but if a player expresses an interest in serving his country and board for a longer duration, then he should stop chasing personal milestones, re-adapt his game and re-approach his batting or bowling with maturity over an aggessive streak that never learns anything. Even Sanath Jayasurya plays with more responsibilty now and has re-worked his game to help his team's cause more and to play the senior role he has with more responsibilty. With maturity, most batsman and bowlers who were great have re-assessed their games and re-invented it with age to really hit peak performances after 30. Ambrose and Walsh both bowled for so long despite Walsh's fragile fitness by cutting up on the pace and striving to be accurate in both line and length.

Only Shoaib could have arrogantly stated that he alone wins matches while the remaining 10 do nothing in the team. If he feels p i s s e d off that Wasim encourages Irfan and praises him and not Shoaib, then there is something seriously wrong with as it reveals his bitterness about Wasim, NOT PRAISING HIM. Wasim in the past has always supported and stuck by Shoaib, but Mr. Akhter has done very little on his part to keep that faith going, except being a showboat, whose sole interest has been seeking personal glory in setting the speedometers on fire! Shoaib has become too big for his own boots, to the point where he sees only his own self and has lost sight of what he means to his own team. It's time to finally cut him down to size.Perhaps it will be better for Pakistan cricket if he is dropped altogether from playing for Pakistan. If he is not going to have a long career like yous ay Choora, then the PCB should also recognize and accept this fact and move on and groom a long term prospect in Shoaib's place rather than waste expensive resources over the Prima Donna Showman!
What to say ?
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
Take a bow Vikas.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Okay, look I used to be a big Shoaib Akhtar fan, but now I think he's crap. That being said, I can't believe how everyone is commending Wasim Akram on being such a great team player and a great influence who bowls in every condition, etc. Have we all forgotten Wasim Akram used to FIX MATCHES!!!!!!!!! For me, that ruins everything he's ever accomplished on the cricket pitch. For all of Akhtar's faults, he's never thrown a match for money. He may have thrown it to be a douchebag, but never because a bookie paid him. Akram on the other hand enjoyed those cash payouts quite a bit. It's really sad when you think about it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Can you please tell us about any one single match that was fixed by Wasim Akram And how Akram fixed it ??

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suppose it never came out in enquiries and as such, it is just speculation on my part but I found the WC loss to Bangladesh to be very very suspicious.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think none of this is really pertinent.

What is being discussed is Shoaib's bowling not his , or anyone else's, ethics, values etc. Bringing these things into the picture only shows that the main argument is being lost.

rehanyazdani

Cricket Spectator
SJS said:
I think none of this is really pertinent.

What is being discussed is Shoaib's bowling not his , or anyone else's, ethics, values etc. Bringing these things into the picture only shows that the main argument is being lost.
yeah i agree. that is whats been happening in the media as well. ppl just focus on akhtar's personal life. so what if he goes to clubs? i know that's not thought of as a good thing in pakistan, but that also doesnt mean u should start hating a person for it.

Choora

State Regular
Vikas Bhatt said:

!
Nothing is wrong with that, but the topic is about Akhtar, and all of a sudden you started mentioning Sami, which made me wonder as to where exactly are you trying to head to?

Regarding Akhter whether he should shorten his run up or no is another issue but his so called long run up is the result of more of his self delusions of grandeur of trying to be the fastest in the world over anything called team interest
He is the fastest in the world and his team's interest is in the fact that he bowls fast.Pace is his greatest weapon and if he compromise on that then he will become mediocre.

If Australian players criticize his short run up then why should it bother Akhter as anyways Australians are always playing psychological mind games to undermine their oppositions' best players? Does Akhter think that what the Australian players think of him is more important than what the PCB, his captain and his coach expect of him?
It was his dumb captain & coach who started the debate about Akhtar reducing his runup.The Aussies took advantage of the situation and joined his captain and coach in criticizing Akhtar over his long runup. When Akhtar bowled with a shorter runup (and was less effective which you still have to realise) then Aussies satred criticizing Akhtar for giving an under-par performance.Later Inzi and Bob also expressed dissapointment with Akhtar's performance.The PCB (which you had wrongly refferd to) had NEVER asked Akhtar to reduce his runup.
Akhtar did whatever he was asked for yet gets criticized.The mistake he made was ever listening to his captain (who knows nothing about fast bowling or running ).
wouldn't it be prudent if he stopped playing if he knows that truth in the interest of his team and his country? I mean whats the point of selecting a bowler again and again, who will not observe discipline, won't listen to his board, captain and coach, will play a match, break down then limp out for the next two, thereby upseting the team's selection, rythmn, plans and balance all the time? Does it make sense then to invest so much in terms of money, infrastructure, facilities, trainers, consultants, team performances etc., to retain just one individual who does not justify the returns expected at the minimal after all the work put behind him?
Its in the interest of the country if he plays rather than stop playing. And all the money and facilities you mentioned is not spent on Akhtar alone, its for whole Pak team.Even if you take Akhtar out they will still be spending the same amount of money.(infact they are spending alot on someone like Umar Gul who is not likely to even play again.)

Only Shoaib could have arrogantly stated that he alone wins matches while the remaining 10 do nothing in the team
There is a limit to exaggeration.Akhtar never said that he alone wins matches and the rest do nothing.During Indian tour of Pakistan Akhtar REMINDED EVERYONE AND INZAMAM inparticular that he alone cannot win matches for Pakistan and others too would have to contribute. Is that ARROGANCE ..... NO otherwise how are you going to explain Inzi's conduct when he held Akhtar SOLE RESPONSIBLE for defeat???? Imran Khan, Miandad,Asif Iqbal,Rashid Lateef (do these names mean something to you?) all made it very clear at that time that Akhtar was NOT AT FAULT and he was being made a scapegoat.
Later after the Aussie tour when Bob and Inzi were criticizing Akhtar, Akhtar came up with his defence and sated that there was too much pressure on him as he was the only match winning pacer in the team.THIS IS HARD FACT THAT NOONE CAN DENY.To say its arrogance is rubbish, if you can hold responsible just ONE individual of ateam for defeat then he has the right to defend himself and state the ground realities.If they seems arrogance to you then its ur problem.

If he feels p i s s e d off that Wasim encourages Irfan and praises him and not Shoaib, then there is something seriously wrong with as it reveals his bitterness about Wasim, NOT PRAISING HIM
BY the same token something must be seriously wrong with Inzi for being ****ed off at Imran Khan over his criticism on Inzi's captainship. Imran interestngly was the one who had discovered Inzi and happen to be his Godfather.
Akhtar only expressed his dissapointement with Akram, there is nothing wrong with that.

If he is not going to have a long career like yous ay Choora, then the PCB should also recognize and accept this fact and move on and groom a long term prospect in Shoaib's place rather than waste expensive resources over the Prima Donna Showman!
Fisrt they aren't spending all that much on Akhtar as the facilities are for each and every player of Pak team, Akhtar doesn't have copyrights for it! Secondarily they are spending far, far too much on pacers like Shabbir Ahmad (who has spend almost all his time in hospital) and Umar Gul(who seems to be unliely to play again.
It will be better for you to identify the long term propect then just talk about it.Do you have anyone in mind? The selection committee have long been looking for potential young pacer but the situation isn't that rosy atall.

The fact that after every defeat Akhtar happens to be the sole target of criticism suggest that something is wrong with Pak team.Maybe ppl don't take Pak team seriously atall, and think that its a one man team in Akhtar.And if that Akhtar end up defending himself saying that he alone can't win matches for Pakistan, then he becomes arrogant.If he doesn't reduce his runup for the interest of his team( even though his team continue to suffer from of overrates even when he's not playing :p ) then he become selfish.He he reduces his runup then he is accuced of performing under-par.

Now where is Inzi going to find a better player than Akhtar in Pakistan team for being made a scapegoat in order to divert ppl's attention from his poor captaincy?? No one is going to bother to talk about Akhtar's new ball partner Sami, noone care to hold Pakistan's batsmen responsible for defeat for playing like schoolboys.Akhtar is the perfect candidate for bashing!

So guys, Inzi needs Akhtar badly, he needs to make him a scapegoat after every series defeat.And one doesn't need to tell as to where Inzi's finger will be pointing after Indian hands Pak a trashing in the come test series.

Vikas Bhatt

It was his dumb captain & coach who started the debate about Akhtar reducing his runup.The Aussies took advantage of the situation and joined his captain and coach in criticizing Akhtar over his long runup. When Akhtar bowled with a shorter runup (and was less effective which you still have to realise) then Aussies satred criticizing Akhtar for giving an under-par performance.Later Inzi and Bob also expressed dissapointment with Akhtar's performance.The PCB (which you had wrongly refferd to) had NEVER asked Akhtar to reduce his runup.
Akhtar did whatever he was asked for yet gets criticized.The mistake he made was ever listening to his captain (who knows nothing about fast bowling or running ).
Since when has a bowler who made changes to his bowling been immediately successful? A bowler who changes his pace, or if he makes a return from an injury takes time to get going! No one can claim immediate success when they have a lay off or a change in style. Harbhajan struggled a lot on comeback after his bolwing action was changed in 1998. Warne was totally off colour and average when he made two successful returns from injuries in recent years. He was ineffective for 6-8 months in between, when he had his spinning finger treated. These things happen, but it takes some time for a bowler to get used to the new changes and the new feel of their bodies and re-discover their old skills and rythmn. Recently Brett Lee after breaking down often, came back with his pace reduced. The last year saw him struggle a lot, get whacked all around and even lose his test spot. But he had to continue. Now slowly his old rythmn is coming back. His skills are returning over his new run up and he is slowly getting back to his devastating best!

Shoaib did struggle when he reduced his run up and it would be foolish to expect him to take wickets immediately when he did. All he had to do was hang in there and keep trying. Nothing changes or happens overnight in cricket! It will also take Shoaib some months before he gets the changes to work in his favour. Time and Patience are the keys to making the necessary adjustments.

Last edited:

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Look man, I think different people are having different views. We should give this topic a rest.

Choora

State Regular
Since when has a bowler who made changes to his bowling was immediately successful. A bowler who changes his pace, or if he makes a return from an injury takes time to get going! No one can claim immediate success when they have a lay off or a change in style. Harbhajan struggled a lot on comeback after his bolwing action was changed in 1998. Warne was totally off colour and average when he made two successful returns from injuries in recent years. He was ineffective for 6-8 months in between, when he had his spinning finger treated. These things happen, but it takes some time for a bowler to get used to the new changes and the new feel of their bodies and re-discover their old skills and rythmn. Recently Brett Lee after breaking down often, came back with his pace reduced. The last year saw him struggle a lot, get whacked all around and even lose his test spot. But he had to continue. Now slowly his old rythmn is coming back. His skills are returning over his new run up and he is slowly getting back to his devastating best!
Bhajji and Warne shouldn't have even been mentioned over here.Lee has yet to regain his place in test side, so to say that he's close to his devastating best is very premature.
What guarantees do you have that Akhtar will be successful if he reduces his runup? if that experiment fails then what is he suppose to do? again go for the longer runup and lose the plot? why should he listen to ppl (some of them like Ponting,McGrath were comming up with such statement for their own interest) when he's not himself comfortable with it? There are ex-players like Jeff Thompson and Sarfraz who think Akhtar won't be effective with a shorter runup.

Shoaib did struggle when he reduced his run up and it would be foolish to expect him to take wockets immediately when he did. All he had to do was hang in there and keep trying. Nothing changes or happens overnight in cricket! It will also take Shoaib some months before he gets the changes to work in his favour. Time and Patience are the keys to making the necessary adjustments.
Thats amazing, isn't it? when he reduced his runup his captain and coach were critical of him and became impatient!! so who is to be blamed?? why can't you realise for once that Akhtar (despite his short commings) is not entirely at fault.

wahindiawah

Banned
Now where is Inzi going to find a better player than Akhtar in Pakistan team for being made a scapegoat in order to divert ppl's attention from his poor captaincy?? No one is going to bother to talk about Akhtar's new ball partner Sami, noone care to hold Pakistan's batsmen responsible for defeat for playing like schoolboys.Akhtar is the perfect candidate for bashing!
:thumbsup:

Completely agreed.

Someone here mentioned how Akhtar failed to save Pakistan in test matches in Sharjah, but the guy didn't mentioned how the whole Pakistan team failed to even score 60 runs in an innings (not once but twice ) in a test match!!!

Even if McGrath, Warne,Murali and Akram were able to play cricket for the same team, even then they wouldn't be able to defend a score like 50.