• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rawalpindi Express derailed

wahindiawah

Banned
amokk1 said:
"ISLAMABAD, Jan 24: Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar is likely to be grilled thoroughly over his alleged involvement in last month's rape case in Melbourne, if the Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Shaharyar Khan is to be believed."

Again you are wrong, Akhtar is going to be grilled coz of his attitude and on the reports that he visited nightclub on the eve of the last test match. The rape case has already been dismissed by PCB !

He refuses to shorten up his run up even for the sake of the team and slows down the whole over rate.

Who decides as to whether shortening his run-up is better for his team? When he did bowl with a short run-up, he was criticize by Australian for bowling far too slowly.

Mate, he needs to change his attitude. Even when he was injured during the Pakistan series against India last year, people thought he faked it. What does that reflect about him

Again you are wrong! It was only the PCB chairman who believed Inzi and started an inquiry on Akhtar's injury only to end up with eggs on their faces! Imran Khan and Akram are on record slamming the PCB for conducting a stupid inquiry on Akhtar's injury.

BY the way some Pakistanis, including Rashid Lateef though Pakistan lost the series to India coz of Match fixing, now can Pakistan team be slammed only coz some idiots think that way???

The Pakistan bowling does not revolve around him.
If Pakistan's bowling doesn't revolve around Akhtar then name the bowler around whome it revolves.

Naved-ul-Hasan took 4 wickets in the last match against West Indies and can also bat down the order. His test records might not reflect his true talent yet, but give him some time. Pakistan have had a reputation of producing fast bowlers
Naveed is not a test material, just because Pak have the reputation of prooducing fast bowler doesn't mean that every pacer playing in Pak team will become a great bowler.

The only thing which you said that was true was that Akhtar needs to change his attitude .This is something we all have been saying. But to claim that he's not a fantastic bowler, that Pak bowling doesn't revolve around him and that he might have been involve in rape case is pure rubbish.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
I will, and I will say it again. Shoaib Akhtar is highly over rated and is pretty much talk. Pakistan managed to win the last 2 ODI games without Mr Akhtar. Even majority of the team don't want Shoaib in the line up. It goes to show that even they don't have faith in him. He is unfit all the time and takes his place for granted. I am glad the PCB are seening the light and not atuomatcially including him in the squad for India.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/176682_PAK_05FEB2005.html

<I> "Pakistan's tumultuous cricketing year appeared set for another crisis with several leading players reportedly asking for Shoaib Akhtar to be omitted from the squad to tour India. The Nation reported that Inzamam-ul-Haq, Yousuf Youhana, Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Salman Butt are among those supposed to have objected to Shoaib's continued presence in the line-up." </I>

Perhaps he was bowling really well in the past, but now he is just all talk and no action. Drop him and get someone else in. Shoaib Akhtar is not the only fast bowler in Pakistan, get someone else in.

Naveed is not a test material, just because Pak have the reputation of prooducing fast bowler doesn't mean that every pacer playing in Pak team will become a great bowler.
I beg to differ, the way he has played the last few ODI shows he deserves a place in the test side. His dedication towards the team is flawless, to stay with the team during the passing of his father is a great effort.

If Pakistan's bowling doesn't revolve around Akhtar then name the bowler around whome it revolves.
It revolves around the entire bowlers. Shoaib is not a team player, but just has a huge ego to break speed barriers.

<I>"Sections of the Pakistani media claimed that the players were convinced that the team could do well without him, having reached the VB Series final despite Shoaib having flown back home with a hamstring injury." </I>

I'm glad the Pakistan team has finally believed that they can win matches without Shoaib. He is not needed in the team, he just talks his mouth off and produces nothing. His rubbish.

Again you are wrong! It was only the PCB chairman who believed Inzi and started an inquiry on Akhtar's injury only to end up with eggs on their faces! Imran Khan and Akram are on record slamming the PCB for conducting a stupid inquiry on Akhtar's injury.
As I said, what does that reflect about him? Did Steve Waugh say the same thing when Ricky Pointing got injured in Hobart? No. I don't think Inzi has any faith in him.

Again you are wrong, Akhtar is going to be grilled coz of his attitude and on the reports that he visited nightclub on the eve of the last test match. The rape case has already been dismissed by PCB !
I did say there was a speculation that he was involved. And he is visting night clubs on the eve of the second test, it shows how immature and stupid he is. He know's he is going to get grilled for it, but he acts like he is god.

Enough said, His bowling of late is total rubbish. His behavour and conduct has always been frowned upon. There is desent in the side about him being included in the team. He is unfit all the time. Pakistan don't need a player that fits this profile in their side.

wahindiawah

Banned
amokk1 said:
I will, and I will say it again. Shoaib Akhtar is highly over rated and is pretty much talk. Pakistan managed to win the last 2 ODI games without Mr Akhtar. Even majority of the team don't want Shoaib in the line up. It goes to show that even they don't have faith in him. He is unfit all the time and takes his place for granted. I am glad the PCB are seening the light and not atuomatcially including him in the squad for India.
How exactly is Akhtar overrated? this is something you have failed to describe.The fact that Pakistan won 2 onedayers without Akhtar doesn't make Akhtar,Danish,Sami either a good or a bad bowler.
A players is judge by his performance rather than by the performance of his team when he's not playing.Any sane person should know that.

Just have a look at Akhtar's performance since May 2002, Shoaib has played in 15 out of 20 Tests and taken 79 wickets at a total cost of 1520 runs at a fantastic average of 19.24!

More importantly, although criticised regularly for being unfit, Shoaib has bowled a total of 457 overs in these 15 Tests giving him an average of 30.44 overs per Test.

As for majority of his teammates not wanting him, on BBC sports i read Rana Naveed praising Akhtar and describing him as a good person!! So what can you conclude from such reports?

Perhaps he was bowling really well in the past, but now he is just all talk and no action. Drop him and get someone else in. Shoaib Akhtar is not the only fast bowler in Pakistan, get someone else in.
Perhaps you just want to believe that he's not a good bowler coz stats proves that he's doing great.Even in the last series, he was good in first two test matches.

I beg to differ, the way he has played the last few ODI shows he deserves a place in the test side. His dedication towards the team is flawless, to stay with the team during the passing of his father is a great effort.
So??? Who says he shouldn't be given a chance in test matches? he might prove to be handy at test level, but expecting him to become a frontline match winner in test matches is plain stupid.

It revolves around the entire bowlers. Shoaib is not a team player, but just has a huge ego to break speed barriers.
LOL!

As I said, what does that reflect about him? Did Steve Waugh say the same thing when Ricky Pointing got injured in Hobart? No. I don't think Inzi has any faith in him
Is Inzi your God?? What happened actually refelected BAD MANAGEMENT by PCB and poor captaincy by Inzi. Steven wouln't say things like Inzi said coz steve is not an idiot like Inzi and if his team gets defeated he doesn't tries to find a scapegoat. Steven was strong enough to admit his own mistakes, that makes him a great captain.
Inzi blamed Akhtar for Pak defeat at the hands of India, as if India were against Akhtar alone and other Pak players were not involved.Inzi's own performance in that series wasn't good, nor did his deputy had a great time in the middle.Basically these players very clevely tried to save their neck at the expense of one person.

Enough said, His bowling of late is total rubbish.
I think what you are saying is total rubbish.

wahindiawah

Banned
Taken from The News

‘Bad boy’ Shoaib remains Pakistan’s best performer

By Waheed Khan

KARACHI: For the second time since he took over as Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board in December 2003, Shaharyar Khan has decided that the maverick fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar is the root cause of all evil in the Pakistan team and needs to be put in his place.

The Board since May 2004 for the second time has started disciplinary proceedings against the "Rawalpindi Express" this time charging him with violation of some clauses of the central contracts given to the players before the tour to Australia.

The interesting thing is that none of these charges relate to Shoaib’s performances or fitness as was the case last year after the India series when a medical inquiry was initiated against him after the home series loss to India.

Perhaps this is because despite all the sly remarks and question marks about his fitness and performances, the figures show that he has been Pakistan’s most successful and hard working bowler in the last two years.

It would surprise many to know that despite his self-styled way of living and playing cricket, since May 2002, Shoaib has played in 15 out of 20 Tests and taken 79 wickets at a total cost of 1520 runs at a fantastic average of 19.24!

More importantly, although criticised regularly for being unfit, Shoaib has bowled a total of 457 overs in these 15 Tests giving him an average of 30.44 overs per Test.

And these 15 matches include instances where he could bowl a few overs because either the match had been lost or won.

In the recent Tests in Perth and Melbourne he bowled just 6.3 and seven overs in the Australian second innings as they only had to get a few runs to win.

Than in one instance he bowled eight overs and took 5 for 21 against Australia in Colombo while on another occasion he bowled eight overs and took 6 for 11 against New Zealand in Lahore.

No other pace bowler is even close to these figures achieved by Shoaib in this period.

And in 39 One-day Internationals since the 2003 World Cup, he has taken 53 wickets at 27.58 an indication perhaps that he is proving expensive in this form of the game.

And yet today we have a situation where there is doubt raised about his fitness, form, attitude and commitment to the team.

Perhaps the fact that Pakistan has managed to reach the VB series finals without him has something to do with this change of heart. What is intriguing is that the board called him back from Australia claiming they wanted him to recover in time from his injury for the Indian tour.

But the tune has now changed regardless of the fact that other players in Australia also had fitness problems, including captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Shoaib Malik etc, yet the board decided that Shoaib who was strugging with a hamstring injury needed to be called back urgently to Pakistan.

We also are being told now that some players in the team don’t want Shoaib in the side for India and they have threatened to pull out if he gets selected. The part about some players not wanting him in the team has substance but the part about them threatening to pull out sounds far-fetched given the calibre of most of the current lot.

It is also important to know who these ‘some’ players are. Guesswork would say they would be those in favour with skipper Inzi, coach Bob Woolmer and manager Haroon Rasheed and they are likely to be Razzaq, Malik to name a few.

It is no secret that Shoaib with his independent and ‘unaffiliated’ approach in the team has never got along with those who hang on in the team despite inconsistent performances because of their affiliations with the management.

Feelers are also being sent to the press that the board has been forced to reign in Shoaib because the chief patron of the board, President Pervaiz Musharraf feels the fast bowler has spoiled the image of Pakistan and needs to be disciplined at all costs, as if a lot of things happening in the country are good for the image of Pakistan or in accordance with the laws of fairness and justice.

One would be dishonest in saying that Shoaib is not to blame at all for the predicament he finds himself in at the moment. What this 29-year has failed to realize is that he belongs to Pakistan and comes from a society and culture where a lot of things - considered normal in other societies - are taboo in Pakistan.

It is another thing that most of these no-no things are practiced regularly by the elite class and others without any guilt pangs or fear of retribution.

Then Shoaib has allowed the "me and my" syndrome to get to his head which, coupled with the natural professional jealousy factor, has also combined to put him in trouble.

His problem of speaking before performing and his being the only truly marketable glamour/pin-up star in the team will always put him at odds with the management and the board.

The media attention he gets where ever he goes and the lucrative commercial endorsements/sponsorship deals he has signed are all contributing factors to the jealous opponents he faces in the team today.

Which brings us to the million-dollar question; Is Shoaib really the bad boy of Pakistan cricket and does he deserve to be the target of a perennial witch hunt?

The answer would be that while he certainly has brought trouble on himself with his habit of talking too much and at times putting himself above the team, it is also a fact that he is not the non-committed and easy going character he is being made out to be.

Because if you talk to some of the younger members of the team they have only words of praise for the way he has always treated them with respect and care and been there all the time for them.

What they have to say about the attitude and behaviour of some of the other seniors, particularly their role in discouraging new talent and soiling the dressing room atmosphere is something Shaharyar and Musharraf should hear themselves.If today Inzamam and Woolmer are complaining about Shoaib’s attitude they need to share the blame equally for being ready all the time to run him down.
Similarly, if there is a developing feeling now that the team can do well without Shoaib it must be kept in mind that there are no substitutes for experience and class.

If this were not the case then Australia would not have recalled Glenn McGrath and Gillespie after long injury layoffs despite solid performances from their reserve bowlers. Nor India would be pushing for the inclusion of Zaheer Khan despite his injury problems despite the emergence of Irfan Pathan.

A lot is being made out of the fact that Shoaib allegedly visited nightclubs during the matches. If he did this he was way off target and lacking common sense and commitment.

But there have been numerous instances in Pakistan cricket where others before him have been worse offenders in this context and still got away with it.

Can one forget the Grenada incident in 1993 involving captain Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis Aaqib Javed etc?

Imran Khan on numerous occasions criticized the selectors, board and fellow players and even had a ‘pick and choose policy’ of playing in home series. Was he not violating discipline then?

No action was ever taken against these players since they were considered too valuable.

One would think that given Shoaib’s performances cited above, he is also valuable to the team.

Shoaib makes a solid point when he points out that there are unfair expectations from him to perform all the time without proper support from others while others remain in the team despite being non-performers most of the time.

If he has temperamental and attitude problems as claimed by the board then this is not his fault because he has been pampered for too long now by successive regimes.

The solution to the Shoaib saga does not lie in simply closing the book on him but in managing him well because history tells us numerous success stories in sports have been woven around perennial bad boys who have delivered with better management and guidance. So let us not waste the one truly world class bowler we have at the moment.

wahindiawah

Banned
The interesting part of the article was,

Because if you talk to some of the younger members of the team they have only words of praise for the way he has always treated them with respect and care and been there all the time for them.

What they have to say about the attitude and behaviour of some of the other seniors, particularly their role in discouraging new talent and soiling the dressing room atmosphere is something Shaharyar and Musharraf should hear themselves.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wahindiawah said:
30 overs a Test, and that's supposed to be good is it?

How many overs have the side bowled in each of those games, far more than 150 I'd say - making Akhtar's workload poor.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Dude, I guess my what you say won't change my mind, and what I say won't change your mind.

Let's drop the subject. We'll see how Shoaib performs in the India series.

deeps

International 12th Man
akthar being in the team is detrimental to team spirit. doesn't matter if he's a brilliant bowler (which he isnt), if at least 6 ppl on your team dont want him there, he shouldn't b there.

on a lighter side, an excerpt from akthars "diary" after the match against india in the WC

From diary of Shoaib Akhtar:
>
>> 1 March 2003
>
>> Oh God! what a match that was against India. Taught me so much. Never in
>my life should i forget following things that i learnt from todays match if
>I were to keep my reputation intact in future)...
>
>> 1. Never bowl short length delivery to Sachin Tendulkar.... he can cut
>and pull and hook very well...
>> 2. Never bowl full length delivery to Sachin Tendulkar.... he can drive
>like no one else in world..
>> 3. Never bowl good length delivery to Sachin Tendulkar.... he can play on
>the rise so comfortably..
>> 4. Never bowl outside offstump to Sachin Tendulkar.... he is extremely
>strong on offside..
>> 5. Never bowl on pads of Sachin Tendulkar.... he can flick and glance
>like no one can..
>> 6. Never bowl a straight line to Sachin Tendulkar.... he can hit that
>anywhere in the ground..
>> 7. Never bowl very fast to Sachin Tendulkar.... he uses my pace against
>me..
>> 8. Never bowl a slow one to Sachin Tendulkar.... he can pick the slower
>one so quickly..
>> 9. Never bowl a full toss to Sachin Tendulkar.... the ball finds a way to
>the stands..
>> And the most important thing i learnt from this match...aptly the lesson
># 10 :
>> 10. Never talk about my dream of clean bowling Sachin Tendulkar in
>public... he turns the dream into nightmare..

wahindiawah

Banned
deeps said:
akthar being in the team is detrimental to team spirit. doesn't matter if he's a brilliant bowler (which he isnt), if at least 6 ppl on your team dont want him there, he shouldn't b there.

IF!

wahindiawah

Banned
deeps said:
if what?:S
If 6 players of Pak side actually don't want Akhtar, that's a big "if" and i know its not true.

Out of the 6 players that have been mentioned in a report suggesting that they don't want Akhtar, one of them happen to be Rana Naveed, who has actually praised Akhtar and called him a good person.

We all know that Akhtar has attitude problem, but we should also understand that the yonger players of Pak side have only positive things to say about Akhtar though they have reservations about Inzi and Youhanna!!!
The first player to have returned to Pak after the test series in Australia (Asim Kamal) had a meeting with PCB chairman, and he negated all the claims by his seniors that suggested that Akhtar wasn't serious with his cricket!! Most of the younger players do say that Akhtar has his own way of doing things but they say that Akhtar is very supportive and encourages all of them.This is something that is puzzling PCB chairman, if the seniors are against Akhtar then why the younger players are with him??

Also you have mentioned how Akhtar get hammered by Tendulkar in WC match, i remembered the match as i enjoyed it alot.However you have failed to menton as to how Akhtar has fared against Tendulkar after that match (much recent performance) any reason why???

Akhtar is rated as the 3rd best PACER after McGrath and Pollock in test ranking.If the so called "all talk and no action" takes you so high on the ranking, then i would say just go on with the talk!

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
wahindiawah said:
If 6 players of Pak side actually don't want Akhtar, that's a big "if" and i know its not true.

Out of the 6 players that have been mentioned in a report suggesting that they don't want Akhtar, one of them happen to be Rana Naveed, who has actually praised Akhtar and called him a good person.

We all know that Akhtar has attitude problem, but we should also understand that the yonger players of Pak side have only positive things to say about Akhtar though they have reservations about Inzi and Youhanna!!!
The first player to have returned to Pak after the test series in Australia (Asim Kamal) had a meeting with PCB chairman, and he negated all the claims by his seniors that suggested that Akhtar wasn't serious with his cricket!! Most of the younger players do say that Akhtar has his own way of doing things but they say that Akhtar is very supportive and encourages all of them.This is something that is puzzling PCB chairman, if the seniors are against Akhtar then why the younger players are with him??

Also you have mentioned how Akhtar get hammered by Tendulkar in WC match, i remembered the match as i enjoyed it alot.However you have failed to menton as to how Akhtar has fared against Tendulkar after that match (much recent performance) any reason why???

Akhtar is rated as the 3rd best PACER after McGrath and Pollock in test ranking.If the so called "all talk and no action" takes you so high on the ranking, then i would say just go on with the talk!
Well the fact is that aktar has to control his aggression.... He is an aggressive bowler ok but he shuld always limit his aggressionon batsman.... His aggression is mostly misinterpreted for his bad behaviour,this is the reason why shoibh is getting penalised.
Akhtar is agressive and not ill-disciplined.....

wahindiawah

Banned
dudeurfriend said:
Well the fact is that aktar has to control his aggression.... He is an aggressive bowler ok but he shuld always limit his aggressionon batsman.... His aggression is mostly misinterpreted for his bad behaviour,this is the reason why shoibh is getting penalised.
Akhtar is agressive and not ill-disciplined.....
What are you talking about, i have been defending Akhtar since some time in this thread but even i admit that Akhtar is ill-discipline. For example he comes late for training session, have a passion for night life and even during 5 day course of a test match is seen in a bar at night.

As far as aggression is concerned, that is a good quality in Akhtar and in the words of Langer "It gets your blood going, the adrenalin pumping, you're in a fight - to me that's what Test cricket is all about" is Australian opener Justin Langer's verdict on facing the game's fastest bowler.
Akhtar is often aggressive against opponent but there are very few incident when an opponent gets offended by Akhtar's action.If someone needs to control his aggression then it got to be McGrath , who often end up offending batters, but thats a diffrerent thing that the guy get away without being penalised

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
wahindiawah said:
Nah, that has nothing to do with the topic.

I had all the reason to mention Pathan. Pathan has won praises from former Pak cric like Imran and Akram for his talent,good hard work positive attitude .Interestingly the 2 former players have been targetting Akhtar coz of his attitude so much so that Akhtar has asked Akram as to why can't he encourage him (like he encourages Pathan) for a change.

------------------------------

Wasim should keep his views to himself: Shoaib

By Our Sports Reporter

ISLAMABAD, Jan 31: Shoaib Akhtar on Monday hit back at former captain Wasim Akram and said that there was a lobby conspiring against him. "I have been made the scapegoat whenever something goes wrong," he told journalists at the Diamond Cricket Ground.

"I respect Wasim very much, he was a great bowler but his comments that I was no longer a match-winner have really hurt me; I would say that he should keep his views to himself. "If you pick up the records when Wasim was the captain, you would know who was taking most of the wickets.

Shoaib was surprised that while Wasim was so generous in his praise of India's Irfan Pathan, why could he not support and encourage his own countrymen
Has Shoaib ever thought that maybe Wasim helps Indian bowlers because they seek his help and listen to what he has to tell them?

What is wrong with Wasim giving tips to Indian rookies? Didn't Pak's young bats approach Sachin and Dravid when they last toured Pakistan and didn't they oblige?

As far as one remembers, last year when in Australia, Irfan Pathan approached Wasim for guidance. So should he have been turned away? Nehra and Zaheer again, before the last World Cup regularly sought Wasim over phone. So how can Wasim turn them away? How come Pak youngsters aren't doing the same? Especially Mr. Shoaib Actor? No great ex-cricketer approached a young talent on their own, as sometimes the youngsters don't like it and don't behave properly undermining the senior man. It is the duty of a youngster to approach a senior to learn something he needs to. That is called respect and being a student. For example Sunil Gavaskar certainly won't go to Sehwag and force him to tighten his technique and curb his aggression unless Sehwag approaches him for the same. An ex-player certainly can't go interfering with the way someone plays and try to change his game, unless sought specifically for it.

Maybe unlike the Indian Pathans and Nehras, the Pak young bowlers like Shaoib Actor aren't good listeners? Shoaib has played under both the great Ws, Wasim and Waqar, but how much did he learn under them? Did he listen to them at all and heeded their advices then when they shared the same dressing room? Did Shahid Afridi listen to Javed Maindad when he tried to mould him into a test batsman? If Akhter doesn't even listen to his own captain and coach and even the greatest Pakistani legend Imran Khan about shortening his run up, then how the hell would he listen to Akram and why should Akram undermine his self respect and standing by going out of his way to help people like Shoaib is beyond me! Maybe Shoaib Akhter is so used to talking crap all along, he has totally lost the plot.

Who was the bowler in the past, who spoke big before the Indian game at the last World Cup and got tonked? Which bowler talked big about cleaning up the Aussies when they last played 3 tests in Colombo and Sharjah in 2002-03, and got whacked? How come whenever Pakistan starts losing early in a test series and batsmen start dominating on good batting tracks, Shoaib gets mysteriously injured?

At least Wasim Akram played in all conditions on all pitches and never chose the matches to play in like Shaoib Akhter does! Wasim is right when he says that Shoaib plays just 1 out of 3 tests, talks all the time and does nothing much!

:blink:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Vikas Bhatt said:
Has Shoaib ever thought that maybe Wasim helps Indian bowlers because they seek his help and listen to what he has to tell them?

What is wrong with Wasim giving tips to Indian rookies? Didn't Pak's young bats approach Sachin and Dravid when they last toured Pakistan and didn't they oblige?

As far as one remembers, last year when in Australia, Irfan Pathan approached Wasim for guidance. So should he have been turned away. Nehra and Zaheer again, before the last World Cup was regularly sought Wasim on phone. So how can Wasim turn them away? How come Pak youngsters aren't doing the same. Especially Mr. Shoaib Actor? No great ex-cricketer approached a young talent on their own, as sometimes the youngsters don't like it and don't behave properly undermining the senior man. It is the duty of a youngster to approach a senior to learn something he needs to. That is called respect and being a student. For example Sunil Gavaskar certainly won't go to Sehwag and force him to tighten his technique and curb his aggression unless Sehwag approaches him for the same. An ex-player certainly can't go interfering with the way someone plays and try to change his game, unless sought specifically for it.

Maybe unlike the Indian Pathans and Nehras, the Pak young bowlers like Shaoib Actor aren't good listeners? Shoaib has played under both the great Ws, Wasim and Waqar, but how much did he learn under them? Did he listen to them at all and heeded their advices then when they shared the same dressing room? Did Shahid Afridi listen to Javed Maindad when he tried to mould him into a test batsman? If Akhter doesn't even listen to his own captain and coach and even the greatest Pakistani legend Imran Khan about shortening his run up, then how the hell would he listen to Akram and why should Akram undermine his self respect and standing by going out of his way to help people like Shoaib is beyond me! Maybe Shoaib Akhter is so used to talking crap all along, he has totally lost the plot.

Who was the bowler in the past, who spoke big before the Indian game at the last World Cup and got tonked? Which bowler talked big about cleaning up the Aussies when they last played 3 tests in Colombo and Sharjah in 2002-03, and got whacked? How come whenever Pakistan starts losing early in a test series and batsmen start dominating on good batting tracks, Shoaib gets mysteriously injured?

At least Wasim Akram played in all conditions on all pitches and never chose the matches to play in like Shaoib Akhter does! Wasim is right when he says that Shoaib plays just 1 out of 3 tests, talks all the time and does nothing much!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Vikas Bhatt said:

As far as one remembers, last year when in Australia, Irfan Pathan approached Wasim for guidance. So should he have been turned away? Nehra and Zaheer again, before the last World Cup regularly sought Wasim over phone. So how can Wasim turn them away? How come Pak youngsters aren't doing the same? Especially Mr. Shoaib Actor? No great ex-cricketer approached a young talent on their own, as sometimes the youngsters don't like it and don't behave properly undermining the senior man. It is the duty of a youngster to approach a senior to learn something he needs to. That is called respect and being a student. For example Sunil Gavaskar certainly won't go to Sehwag and force him to tighten his technique and curb his aggression unless Sehwag approaches him for the same. An ex-player certainly can't go interfering with the way someone plays and try to change his game, unless sought specifically for it.

Spot on Vikas..... Well said....
I Think shoiabh is more concerned about publicity than his game.....
He should have thought that everyone should be speaking about him throughout the world, Everyone is indeed speaking about him but not about his game of cricket..... But about his attitude and discipline.......

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have always said this.........If Shoaib is willing to compromise on his own obsession with speed and long run ups, he can definitely be an asset to this pakistan side. He just needs to think for the whole team and not just himself. In fact, I think he is a pretty decent lower order batter too, only if he applied himself.

Choora

State Regular
Vikas Bhatt said:

The point you missed was that Akhtar didn't objected to AKRAM GIVING TIPS TO INDIAN PACERS, his only complain was that if Akram can praise Pathan then he can encourage him too. You don't need to go to someone to get encouragement, likewise you don't need to go to someone to get criticized. So ur point that Akhtar didn't approach Waseem for tips is basically baseless.

However i do agree with Akram's criticism on Akhtar, the one thing i don't agree is that Akhtar should shorten his runup just coz Imran khan say so.There sre some including Jeff Thompson, and Sarfraz who think that Akhtar will be better off with a longer run up. But this is something that should be left for Akhtar alone, if he is not comfortable with a shorter runup then he should turn deaf ear to whatever rubbish Imran kHan and Inzi are comming up with.

Choora

State Regular
Vikas Bhatt said:

Did Akhtar ever said that it was wrong of Waseem to help Indian pacers?

How come Pak youngsters aren't doing the same? Especially Mr. Shoaib Actor? No great ex-cricketer approached a young talent on their own, as sometimes the youngsters don't like it and don't behave properly undermining the senior man. It is the duty of a youngster to approach a senior to learn something he needs to
Basically here you are attacking all Pakistani young bowlers, i guess you took Akram's interview far too seriously.I can identify one man in Mohd Khaleel who asked for Akram's help but was turned down as Akram was busy with other assignment. Besides if Pakistan's young players aren't getting Akram's guidence then maybe its good for them.Akram maybe a great bowler but also happen to be a very corrupt person, his influence on young players can be very harming.

Did Shahid Afridi listen to Javed Maindad when he tried to mould him into a test batsman?
Its not all that simple, Afridi doesn't have the temperament nor the brains to become a test batter. The fault lied with the then coach who should have realised that earlier.