• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Ashwin or Ravi Jadeja? Who is the better all-rounder?

Better all-rounder?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think that the conditions in England during Underwood's career favoured him any more than the conditions in India recently favour Jadeja. Plus modern non-Asian batsmen, and some even some from there, can't play spin for ****.
I can't remember non Asian batsmen other than Aussies playing spin well even in 90s. Infact the so called "great players" such as Gatting was cut open by young starts like Kumble, Warne and Muralitharan (Jayananda Warnaweera was the other man, but he was experienced by 1993, he reduced an touring English team to a joke). Other than for Ponting, Hayden, Flower, Kallis, Cullinan, Hooper, Lara and Chanders, there weren't much non-Asian batsmen who could play spin on a turning track. (I might have missed one or two).

But interesting to note that many people only see regression of non-Asian batsmen. Regression of Asian batsmen of playing spin is much alarming.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gatting averaged 36.5, above his career average of 35.56 in 1993 India series, as a matter of fact it was his best series since 1987 and the only series after 1987 where he averaged over 24. He was 36 at the time too and well past his best. He only played one test in SL, hardly a big sample. He was hardly 'cut open'. Do you perform even the most basic fact checking before making a claim?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't remember non Asian batsmen other than Aussies playing spin well even in 90s. Infact the so called "great players" such as Gatting was cut open by young starts like Kumble, Warne and Muralitharan (Jayananda Warnaweera was the other man, but he was experienced by 1993, he reduced an touring English team to a joke). Other than for Ponting, Hayden, Flower, Kallis, Cullinan, Hooper, Lara and Chanders, there weren't much non-Asian batsmen who could play spin on a turning track. (I might have missed one or two).

But interesting to note that many people only see regression of non-Asian batsmen. Regression of Asian batsmen of playing spin is much alarming.
For most of his career Ponting was ordinary af in Asia against spin. He had a decent tour of SL in 2004 IIRC but that's about it. From his Aus team Martyn, Lehmann, Gilchrist, Clarke were all better IMO.

edit: agree with most of your post though.

Last edited:

vcs

Hick was alright against spin when they came to India in '93. The only English batsman who showed a semblance of a fight. I remember that series fondly because it was the first Test series I watched on TV from start to finish.

vcs

For most of his career Ponting was ordinary af in Asia against spin. He had a decent tour of SL in 2004 IIRC but that's about it. From his Aus team Martyn, Lehmann, Gilchrist, Clarke were all better IMO.
'99, not '04. I think he missed one or two matches in 2004.

TheJediBrah

'99, not '04. I think he missed one or two matches in 2004.
You might be right. Before my time but I think he made a 96 one game in 1999?

edit: Yeah you're right he was much better in 1999. Only averaged 33 in 2004 series.

Last edited:

mr_mister

his '99 tour to SL was better. When you take out India his average in Asia was 61 from 14 tests, not bad at all. He had one series each in UAE, Pakistan and Bangas and averaged over 90 in all 3 of them, as well averaging nearly 50 in SL.

vcs

A hundred as well.

I think Ponting was quite a capable batsman against spin. I wouldn't trust him to grind out a defensive masterclass for 4-5 hours on a turning pitch, but as long as he had license to attack, he was fine.

He suffers a bit from being judged harshly on the basis of that one horror tour of India in 2001, just like the "Kohli can't play lateral movement lol" meme posts because of his 2014 run in England.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

edit: agree with most of your post though.
Asia is not India. He played some brilliant innings in SL. 96 in Kandy was a gem. He was very good against Pakistani spinners too. His struggles against Harbhajan has warped the view of Many.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ batsmen are traditionally poor against spin, but surprisingly Fleming owned Murali in SL. Latham is also particularly adept against spinners

TheJediBrah

Asia is not India. He played some brilliant innings in SL. 96 in Kandy was a gem. He was very good against Pakistani spinners too. His struggles against Harbhajan has warped the view of Many.
Asia is mostly India. The rest are basically minnows (Since Pakistan don't even play at home)

Flem274*

123/5
jadeja is ****ing awful. deadset you blokes rating him should be ashamed. i feel embarrassed for you. firing it down as fast as you can (not very) on dust bowls isn't spin bowling, it's throw downs on an uneven surface. the fact this bloke has a lower average than a real spinner like herath or macgill just goes to show india should be heavily penalised for their home pitch preparation and sentenced to listening to australians like stephen talk up every pimply fast bowler they possess as though they're the 80s west indies.

the use of jadeja is no different to throwing Colin de Grandhomme or james anderson the new ball on a green top. sure it's effective in one extremely limited circumstance but most of the time they're your 5th bowler given a maximum of 10 overs trundle each day.

and this isn't even getting into the fact he's a #8 at best. it's like one of these door to door sales characters promising a vettori and providing southee with greasy hair and some skis.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I don't care about "allrounders" Ravi Ashwin and Ravi Jadeja.

I much prefer allrounders Ravi Shastri and Ravi Bopara. Shout-out too to Ravi Ratnayeke.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Not even a debate it is Ashwin. His batting has fallen off but Jadeja is hardly a consistent run getter and the difference between them with the ball is galaxies.

mr_mister

Ravi's numbers are very impressive though. A batting average of 7 higher than your bowling average is quite something.